So frustrated with vet...

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I called Tuesday morning to get a price on blood allergy testing. The frontdesk said, I'll leave a message for the vet and she'll get that information for you and give you a call. No call that day. So Wednesday morning around the same time (I politely gave 24 hours) I called again, saying I called yesterday morning looking for pricing and I haven't heard from the doctor. The front desk says, Hold on let me see if she got that info....no she didn't yet, I'll let her know you called and she'll call you today. So 5:45 comes around and I know they're closing at 6, so I call and explain, I called yesterday morning, this morning and I know you're closing in 15 minutes. Will the doctor be getting back to me after hours because she still hasn't called. The front desk says, hold on let me see if she got that information, nope she hasn't, she'll probably call you after hours, thats when they make all their calls. So this morning (thursday) I called again asking what was going on....As I'm typing this she called....I am sooo mad right now!:cursing:

All I flippin asked for was a price for the blood allergy test! I didn't need for her to shove Rx Iams, eukanuba & Royal Canin down my throat! One of the first things she said was "I understand you want to do an allergy test, and that's fine, we can if you want, but what I suggest as the next step is to start him on this food called H/A" I asked, is that Hill's and I barely gave her time to answer yes, when I said no thank you. (Don't come near my dog with that crap that you call food!) So that's when she tried pushing "other Rx foods, made by other manufacturers. That's when I asked who and she listed the crap that I mentioned above. I told her I would much rather start the bland diet then go through by trial and error. SHE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT THE BLAND DIET WAS! Then she starts talking about how the ear drops he had, had steroids so she'll have to check and see how long he needs to wait. Is he on ear drops still? I wanted to say "i don't know, why don't check his flippin chart that you should have IN FRONT OF YOU! but instead i said no and that I understand all that, i really just wanted a price first. Seriously WTF. I'm so mad! So she gave me a price of $329 for the inhalent and food test. That wasn't even all of the stupidity in the conversation. She didn't even know what test I wanted, even though I said it 4 times to the front desk. Not only was I mad from her making me wait over 48 hours for a stupid price...the first thing she asked was 'how is bruin doing?' which you would think is a nice thing....well I wanted to say to her 'maybe you would know how bruin is doing if YOU CALLED 2 weeks after the vet visit LIKE YOU SAID YOU WERE GOING TO DO!'
I'm so mad, I feel like crying! Am I over reacting?

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
The whole friggin conversation she had such a condescending tone! Why can't I find a vet that has the understanding between a traditional vet and a holistic? Why?!:bang:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HOLY crap -- I'd be so pissed off.... the money you spend with them and they just seem to treat you like a burden. I am very, very lucky to have a vet that goes above and beyond - calls to check in after appointment, gives us his personal cell number when something is happening with our babies and he wants to know first. I could go on and on about him. Guess you wouldn't want to drive down to PA, huh?

You are not over reacting and I'd be looking for a new vet.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
You are definitely not over reacting. What ever happened to customer service these days? Seems like customers are treated like as @2BullyMomma says a "burden." Yet they don't mind taking our hard earned money. Seems like you don't really get what you pay for anymore.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
I would be mad too!! People love wasting your time like it's free! Imagine if you took 2 days to give them a simple answer.

I would look for another vet to be honest. I know they are running a business, but such blatant product pushing instead of helping you get to the bottom of the allergy test is ridiculous. It doesn't take a genius to know what will cost you more in the long run!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
If it were me I would change vets and find someone who can really give you the attention you and your baby need she sounds like it"s just a job. I went thru 5 different vets before finding the vet of my dreams. It"s 120 miles from home but it"s worth every mile. this vet really cares about Gunny and his well being. after the first visit a week later called to ask how my Gunnyboy was doing. look around I know there is a vet out there for your baby just look around there are many vets that really care. Good luck and I hope you will find one that will take care of your baby

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Sounds like it's time for a new vet. This person might be a well-trained clinician, diagnostics blah blah but YOU are the conduit. If you aren't happy, then shop around. Plus, that doesn't sound like great customer service. Not even average customer service. I used to live in Western Mass. For the life of me I cannot remember the name, but there was a 1/2 holistic vet outside Amherst, and I heard of a few in Boston. I mention this because maybe a call to one that's too far to drive to might yield a referral for something closer.

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
You're not overreacting at all! We had the same problem. Wouldn't ever call us back like she said, even while Thor was sick (we were waiting on test results and medicine!). Every time we went in they acted like they'd never seen us before. Currently between vets at the moment. Booo! It sucks doesn't it! How would they like it *grrr*

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would find another vet too. And to top it off I would probably write a letter to the vet letting him/her know why I am switching vets. Sometimes they have a tech that treats customers really crappy and they won't even know about it unless they see it in action or someone says something. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I have had to go to several to find a good one.. I like others have his personal cell phone number, He calls himself to check up..He is great but I had to go through about 4 to get him.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
HOLY crap -- I'd be so pissed off.... the money you spend with them and they just seem to treat you like a burden. I am very, very lucky to have a vet that goes above and beyond - calls to check in after appointment, gives us his personal cell number when something is happening with our babies and he wants to know first. I could go on and on about him. Guess you wouldn't want to drive down to PA, huh?

You are not over reacting and I'd be looking for a new vet.
Our first (and only) vet visit was $250. That was an exam, antibiotics, anithistamine, ear drops, heartworm test...exam ok, antibiotics eh fine, antihistamine...can't I use benadryl, ear drops...won't the antibi, Iotics help that, heartworm test..i give him interceptor every month..does he really need a test? If only we were close to PA...we actually got Bruin from Ephrata and Lilly from Lititz.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
If it were me I would change vets and find someone who can really give you the attention you and your baby need she sounds like it"s just a job. I went thru 5 different vets before finding the vet of my dreams. It"s 120 miles from home but it"s worth every mile. this vet really cares about Gunny and his well being. after the first visit a week later called to ask how my Gunnyboy was doing. look around I know there is a vet out there for your baby just look around there are many vets that really care. Good luck and I hope you will find one that will take care of your baby
5 different vets!? this was my 3rd vet but 4 times. I went to one, that I like, then wanted to switch b/c one was closer, then they pissed me off (they were a vca)so I went back to the first one, then the receptionist pissed me off b/c they kept putting me with a doctor i didn't like (i told him once that i don't ever want prednisone, so I expect them to put that in my file and never mention it again, apparently he like mentioning it everytime i talked to him), now this one, this one takes the cake. at least the one i tried twice didn't push their products. Come to think of it, the only product they had were pill pockets.
I don't feel so bad knowing you went through 5...I thought (for a split second) that I might be to demanding and critical.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Sounds like it's time for a new vet. This person might be a well-trained clinician, diagnostics blah blah but YOU are the conduit. If you aren't happy, then shop around. Plus, that doesn't sound like great customer service. Not even average customer service. I used to live in Western Mass. For the life of me I cannot remember the name, but there was a 1/2 holistic vet outside Amherst, and I heard of a few in Boston. I mention this because maybe a call to one that's too far to drive to might yield a referral for something closer.
That's a good idea....I'll look for them. I loooove western mass! Northampton to be exact. I go there every chance i get...especially noho brewery :) mmmm yum. I spent my teen years going out there grabbing a white mocha from starbucks, walking around and then stopping by La Fiorentina to get a strawberry cheesecake :drool: Who knows, maybe I'll end up going to the one outside of amherst. Thanks

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I would find another vet too. And to top it off I would probably write a letter to the vet letting him/her know why I am switching vets. Sometimes they have a tech that treats customers really crappy and they won't even know about it unless they see it in action or someone says something. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. :)

I should write a letter...do ya think they would really care though? I am certainly writing a review!! :yes:

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I have had to go to several to find a good one.. I like others have his personal cell phone number, He calls himself to check up..He is great but I had to go through about 4 to get him.

It really makes me feel better knowing that other people have gone through several vets. My bf was like, are you sure you're not being to critical? My answer was 'nope, my peeps on ebn have to, so no.' Unless we're all too critical :lol: nah...we have special dogs..we need special vets (yes i'm a dork, i said peeps :up: )

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.