Lola update + Puppy Questions

Dalia55

Jan 31, 2012
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Lasagna Lopez, Maximus Meatball Meridius
Hey guys,

So I've had Lola about a week and a half now. So she is currently 9 weeks old. I have been crate training her and she is doing well. She is playful and simply wonderful. Most of the questions I've had as I go along have been answered in threads here luckily. But I do have questions!! (see below)

What treats would you recommend for a Bulldog pup? (for training purposes we would like to reward her with a treat, I have only been praising her when she does good because I was worried she might get sick with random food treats)

How can I make her stop using my toes as chew toys? (lol yeah I kind of already know the answer from other threads but no matter how much I guide her to toys or how much I use a firm no.... she always comes back to nibble on my toes)

Also I would like to thank you all for all the tips, education, and fun doggie pics you have shared with me!!!!

C

Cooper11

hmmmm so you have a to biter huh?? :gum: Yep your just going to have to deal with it! :ROFL: No really you should just remind her that it is a no no:nonono::nonono: and enforce it...she is a pup so she just thinks its a game and she will grow out of it. Until then buy some band aids! As far as treats Carolina Pet Pantry has a lot of variety of treats for bullies....or you can go veggies like frozen green beans, carrots, frozen pees, also cheese, I give my pups Platos Organic Chicken treats and they LOVE them no problems with them so far. Yo pup is her own little self so what works for one might not work for her. you will just have to see how she reacts to different treats! If she were to have an allergy you would notice maybe hives, hot spots, itching, and the best one :fart: or runny :poo:.

suzybsyr

Jan 30, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey2
My little Jeffrey will be 9 weeks tomorrow.... and he's a biter too!!! What we have been doing, that actually is working, is when he bites down, give out a yelp or a loud "ouch"! Something to startle them, the cry is close to that of another puppy, which would yelp when play got too rough. I've read about this technique and so far it's the only one that's been working. The "no's" had no effect whatsoever!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

For training treats, we used dried liver. It's nice because it's very easy to break up into little pieces.

Keep with the firm "NO", but also remove the source of the naughty fun for her...your toes! :D This is what puppies do with their littermates. If one puppy is playing to rough, the other puppy will usually make some kind of "hey I don't like that noise" and then stop playing with the rough puppy. They learn pretty quickly that it is an unwanted behaviour and that it results in no attention and no fun :)

LaurenA

Nov 17, 2011
Elgin, Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
Rook
I can't get over what a cutie Lola is... but you had questions...

Treats - Rook is very food motivated, so it doesn't really matter what we reward/treat him with - he never gets bored with food. We've actually never given him any store bought treats. We can use his kibble as rewards when we are training and also he thinks frozen green beans are the best thing on the planet. He LOVES fruits and veggies! If Lola is not a picky eater like Rook, any food you offer will be viewed as an excellent reward/treat.

Biting - I hear you on this one!!!! I was pretty frustrated with Rook when he was a puppy. He is such a sweety, but definitely has a naughty side and likes to see what he can get away with. For a long time it seemed like none of the training techniques would work with him to stop the biting... I even swore we would never get another puppy (but every time someone posts a puppy pic on here, I start to forget that I said that). Patience and persistence is your friend. You are going to be Lola's favorite chew toy for a while and you just need to keep reminding her that is not okay and redirecting. Eventually she'll decide to listen to you... I promise it does get better! Hopefully your toes with survive Lola's puppy bitey stage!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Treats --- we used, for training and reward, a product called "Real Meats'... you can break them into tiny bits and the bag last a couple of months.

Biting --- get the spray bottle out --- squirt with water right in the face with a firm NO

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Bulldogs love attention and at least my Usko stopped his biting habbits very quickly when I just ignored him immediately when started biting. All nice thing ended when he bit. I didn't feel comfortable to startle him with anything. Just stop, turn your back, go away, totally stop what you are doing. Bulldogs are stubborn breed and can take your reprimands as a challenge.

Treats in my opinion should be without any additives. Pieces of chicken or sorts cooked or dried. Some bullies are not so handy with their mouths so I've found that soft pieces go down easier. We mainly use boiled gizzard.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we used boiled chicken breast for a while, then she got picky with food because she got the good stuff for so long. we now use chunks of string cheese (mozz) and wellness grain free venison treats and freeze dried liver treats for training. but for just bein cute she gets berries, oranges, and frozen green beans for peeing outside. :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.