Dumb biting questions

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
So Howard is 7 weeks old and of course, he bites/teeths a bit. We don't allow him to bite us or our kids (of course he does, but we redirect him and he's done well). But he and Lucy will both "play bite" each other. Almost like they are chewing each other and playing. I hear a few play growls here and there. But for the most part they seem to be having a good time. I'm assuming if one was really upset they would yip and move away. Lucy can get to much higher places than Howard. So I guess I'm asking if it's OK to let them play where play biting/teething is involved? That's normal dog behavior right? Thanks so much!

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
ollie and ivy did this religiously as puppies, and once in a while still do it. they are just playing, even though it looks like they are trying to kill each other:blink:. i always worry about the eyes, because both of mine have sustained corneal ulcers (scratch on cornea--huge pain, meds expensive, treatment every 4 hours). i think if supervised, it's ok.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Hey! I was going through a similar issue! I have a 5 year old pitbull and she is the best she welcomed our Brutus with open arms, hmmmm may be she shouldnt have :lol: he was biting her legs, tail, ear and paws and not just biting well that was a bone to him. My Chanel just laid there and slept and let him do it (it was not painful at all I mean he cant even bite down without his tongue there lol lol lol I was using a squirt bottle here and there to correct the behaivor and let them now its not okay to growl! My situation is different I have a powerful breed with a stubborn breed lol We make it work! Just be careful with the play and monitor always b/c our bullies can get hurt very easy! They are both adorable!!!!

OP
Howardsmom

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
Thanks for the reassurance! In between bites I see them licking each other so I'm guessing all is well in their world!

C

Cooper11

Yes I am going to try to get a video of Cooper and Gracie going at it! Bullies play rough! :) My Griffen like your Lcy could get to hight places than Cooper to get away but now that Cooper learned to jump up on the furniture no place is safe for my Griffen...You just wait till that puppy gets a little older. Your going to feel like you have a dog fighting ring in your living room. It seems like my Cooper and Gracie (both bullies) start getting into it and IO am afraid they are going to rip each others head off but they say that is normal bully play. They will be biting and going at each other and then stop and start making out :whistle: yes I know they are brother and sister and I keep telling Coop that is not normal we don't kiss our sister like that! :nonono: Sadly I don't think he cares what I say! :fie: :lmao:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
My guys do the same thing.... all noise, lots of slobber and not damage

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
BabyGirl and my Frenchton Louie play rough but I monitor the whole time. If I think they are biting each others faces a little too long I do stop it. I use to find scabs all around their faces but it's not too bad anymore. Plus if BabyGirl gets too rough for Louie he knows how to run FAST!!!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
My two play fight all the time. Gio bites my frenchies legs and ears while Diva bites Gios legs and face! So I got nervous at first but after watching them I notice that they are only nibbling, I do watch the whole time they do this because sometimes they start to growl at each other. Sometimes I think Gio doesn't realize he has 30lbs on her and will put all his weight on her! But it is comical to watch!

gunnyboy

Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2012
Bradford Pennsylvania
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarge and LuLu
My bullie Gunny and his brother a miniature poodle play all the time it sounds like they are killing each other and it goes in for a good 10 mins gunny is 92 lbs and foster is all but 8 foster grabs gunny by the lip and holds on till Gunny settles down then they both take a nap Friends again.

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
The squirt bottle is a good idea... Puppy's at that age are learning limits. The other dog will let the puppy know when its bit too hard.

My older dog will 'goof around' with Molly for hours, but sometimes Molly will chomp too hard and Ellie (older dog) will growl and snap a little more force full. Most of the time Molly interprets this as 'attack harder' rather then 'Back Off'.. So we have to hose/squirt Molly and she'll stop playing. (Ellie will give a *sigh* of relief.. and they'll go back to licking each other).

On a side note... The squirt bottle also comes in handy with teenage boys when they start to fight :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.