Salmon Oil, Food, & Gas

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
I too give Jack two pumps of Salmon oil with each meal.
His farts are deadly ....they smell like (close your eyes and breath in) raw chicken with hard boiled eggs......

Until reading this thread, I didn't think about the cause of the farts...
I just figure all Bulldogs are farters........

Besides, I don't mind when he farts.... :no:
My wife and Kids have this game going on most nites where they bet each other who will do the dishes if they guess correctly who threw the fart. Jack or Me... :rofl:

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
I started salmon oil 3 weeks ago. No increase in farting. However, the decrease in shedding is amazing. No more dry, flaky spots either. Her coat is super shiny and soft. Lola already had salmon in her food, we feed Fromm Surf and Turf, so maybe she was already used to it.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
His farts are deadly ....they smell like (close your eyes and breath in) raw chicken with hard boiled eggs......

My wife and Kids have this game going on most nites where they bet each other who will do the dishes if they guess correctly who threw the fart. Jack or Me... :rofl:

i don't mind when they :fart: either. i think it's funny when visitors make such a stink about it.:ROFL:

OP
C

Cooper11

:ROFL: Sounds like you live at my moms house....she is always saying her hubs is blaming Gracie for his gas! And I think we both know Girls don't :fart: :) Some one told me to try the fish oil pills instead of the actual oil and they may take care of the :fart:. Did you notice a difference in his coat and shedding after you started the fish oil???? The gas doesn't bother me that much either...Coops farts are like a breath of fresh air :barf:...:ROFL:.. although we did go on a mini vacation and he came with and lets just say we had to roll down the windows in the truck like every 10 minutes!I could live with the gas but I do wonder if his tummy is hurting because gas stomach pains are not fun!

Last edited:
OP
C

Cooper11

I started salmon oil 3 weeks ago. No increase in farting. However, the decrease in shedding is amazing. No more dry, flaky spots either. Her coat is super shiny and soft. Lola already had salmon in her food, we feed Fromm Surf and Turf, so maybe she was already used to it.
Did you notice the less shedding right away because so far I see no difference on Coop!

OP
I

ImAGuinneyPig

If I remember, it takes at least a few weeks before you can really notice the effects of the salmon oil. Guinn has been on it since we brought her home as she had terribly dry skin. She gets 2 squirts every morning. She has a flake-free, shiny, and very soft coat. Anyone who pets her comments on how baby soft she is.

The thing I do know about giving too much salmon oil is that it can cause the runs. Not sure about gas. But it all comes from the same end, so there might be some connection there :laugh:

OP
C

Cooper11

If I remember, it takes at least a few weeks before you can really notice the effects of the salmon oil. Guinn has been on it since we brought her home as she had terribly dry skin. She gets 2 squirts every morning. She has a flake-free, shiny, and very soft coat. Anyone who pets her comments on how baby soft she is.

The thing I do know about giving too much salmon oil is that it can cause the runs. Not sure about gas. But it all comes from the same end, so there might be some connection there :laugh:

Could be could be! I wonder if I am just being too picky because Cooper really doesn't shed a lot and he has good skin and I think he is pretty soft....that is until you pet his sister she is very soft but they have 2 totally different coats! No runs here thank god! I am just afraid with all the gas :fart: one day he is just going to explode! :cursing:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Grains are an issue for bullies and chicken, well there are a lot of bullies allergic or have some sensitivity to it. Banks is highly allergic to chicken - hives if she has any. And, I notice her yeast issues and tear stains are pretty much gone since taking potato out of her food.... Fromm Beef Fritatta is the winner. Also, think about getting the full blood screen alergy test done -- takes the guess work out of it.

As for the :fart: --- it is probably the oil. We use the fish oil pills --- no gas

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Did you notice the less shedding right away because so far I see no difference on Coop!

No, it didn't happen right away. I noticed the shedding was better by the end of week 2, and now it's much better by week 3. It was very noticeable to me since I wear a lot of black and those little white hairs get stuck everywhere!

BoozysMom

Mar 1, 2012
Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
boozy
Boozy was on fish oil and salmon based food when I adopted him and his farts were a pphhthh of death. (Made for a long car ride home) Once he was off fish oil and on only hypoallergenic food the death farts disappeared and only pphhthh of eye watering gas remained, which was a huge improvement. Dermatologist told me that a lot of dogs are sensitive to fish of any sort.

bmerman27

May 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
muffin
Hello Bully lovers!

i am brand new here (signed up about 2 hours ago) and i must say im loving it already! :) i adopted a 3 month old female named muffin 3 days ago and we love her to death! i guess my question is- will she be okay with salmon oil at 3 months? id rather be safe than sorry. :D

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.