Snort Attack!

C

Cooper11

OK So I use to have a shih tzu and he would get these "snort attacks" is what I called them. When he starts snorting in and out breathing really fast like they are having trouble breathing. I think it is a defense mechanism when they get something up their nose or something like that......Is it normal for bullies to have these? I use to be able to stop my shih tzu by putting my finger over his nose for a couple seconds....they kinda act like its painful and they can't breath when they are having one...Anyway Cooper was knocked out last night I think it was 3:30 in the morning and I get woke up to him having one....I couldn't stop it he kept doing it and I cold tell it scared him and his body kinda tensed up. I almost thought tremor??? But since my shih tzu had these I thought maybe snort attack :)......This is the first time he has ever done it and he kept doing it. He wold stop and then start again he never lifted his head he looked like he was out of it or still sleeping tongue hanging out???? Any other bully have a snort attack??? Or was this something else????

Chunksmama

Community Veteran
Aug 20, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Chunk aka Chunkster, Chunky Monky, Sir Drools-a-lot, Wrinkles Magee
It sounds like reverse sneezing ... Chunk does that every so often. I don't remember what the vet said causes it but I do remember that it's not something to worry about. I think it's as normal as sneezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C

Cooper11

It sounds like reverse sneezing ... Chunk does that every so often. I don't remember what the vet said causes it but I do remember that it's not something to worry about. I think it's as normal as sneezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes reverse sneezing!!! It just kinda freaked me out, if thats what it was, he had never had it happen before and my shih tzu never had it happen when he was sleeping...always when he was walking around!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] sounds like what i call inverted sneezing on my bostons. my boston was doing that the other night and sarah has done it the passed couple of days. when she does it i rub her sides from her shoulders down to her back leg. she doesnt usually do it long but my boston will do it for minutes if i dont get him up when i first hear it and give him a benadryl. ive come to think its an allergy thing. if i give them benadryl on a regular basis or after the attack is done then they dont do it anymore. i hope thats all it is. pretty scary isnt it the first time.

OP
C

Cooper11

@Cooper11 sounds like what i call inverted sneezing on my bostons. my boston was doing that the other night and sarah has done it the passed couple of days. when she does it i rub her sides from her shoulders down to her back leg. she doesnt usually do it long but my boston will do it for minutes if i dont get him up when i first hear it and give him a benadryl. ive come to think its an allergy thing. if i give them benadryl on a regular basis or after the attack is done then they dont do it anymore. i hope thats all it is. pretty scary isnt it the first time.
Yes it was scary...like I said my shih tzu did it all the time...but Coop never....he was laying on his side and I did rub his side and then started kinda patting his back....I thought maybe he was still sleeping and out of it...it would stop when I did that and then start again...then he stopped and started sleeping again but I cold still kind faintly hear it like he was snoring...but he really doesn't snore!?!?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Yes it was scary...like I said my shih tzu did it all the time...but Coop never....he was laying on his side and I did rub his side and then started kinda patting his back....I thought maybe he was still sleeping and out of it...it would stop when I did that and then start again...then he stopped and started sleeping again but I cold still kind faintly hear it like he was snoring...but he really doesn't snore!?!?
thats what sarah has been doing day before yesterday and yesterday. hers dont last long seconds and if i rub her sides stop. she may do it for like a minute and wont do it again for a while so i dont usually give her benadryl then. but if i have given her bendaryl that day or my bostons they dont do it. i really think its an allergy thing. something in the air triggers it. thats just my opinion though. my boston has terrible attacks if i dont get him up first thing when i hear him start. then i pop benadryl in him when he stops and no more problem.

OP
C

Cooper11

thats what sarah has been doing day before yesterday and yesterday. hers dont last long seconds and if i rub her sides stop. she may do it for like a minute and wont do it again for a while so i dont usually give her benadryl then. but if i have given her bendaryl that day or my bostons they dont do it. i really think its an allergy thing. something in the air triggers it. thats just my opinion though. my boston has terrible attacks if i dont get him up first thing when i hear him start. then i pop benadryl in him when he stops and no more problem.
Yes and with your boston seriously if you just put your finger or fingers over his nose to block his nose just for like 5 seconds cz it will stop right when you do it.....it will go away...I did that with my shih tzu all the time and he wold even like look at me to do it when he wold have them!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
The vet told my mom it has something to do with a small esophogus. My mom's Chiweenie, does this and Bruin & Lilly do this every once in awhile. It usually stops when I rub their back.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
yep. our Boston does that too, and the finger on the nose stops it cold too, BUT not with our bully. It's slightly differently/deeper reverse sneeze with Lupe, so I just rub under her chin, slowly...calms it down. Has only happened about three times in as many years (as far as I know!)

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
this happens with bullies bc they are brachiocephalic. either blow into their nose or reach in their mouth and lift the palate. either one will stop it.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Gio does it all the time! We read that sometimes rubbing the neck downward can help, it seems to help Gio stop when I do that. I was so scarred the first time he did it!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I have his kennel downstairs, should a person be sleeping in closer range in general for things like this?

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I'm glad you asked because I never knew what it was... our **** Zu also does this on occasion, but our Bully has yet to experience this.

OP
C

Cooper11

I have his kennel downstairs, should a person be sleeping in closer range in general for things like this?

I think they will eventually stop. It really is like a reverse sneeze. Just trying to clear any germies out! I just think it is not the most pleasant thing for them and getting it to stop sooner than later I am sure they appreciate it. But it is not going to harm him in any way. I would not worry about unless he starts doing it and does it all the time.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online