Taking my 13 week old Puppy Outside

OP
R

rmurray

Feb 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
Yes..she is! If she has trouble getting used to it..put her on the leash and let her drag it around the house. She will get used to the tugging and feeling of a leash that way!

thanks

OP
R

rmurray

Feb 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
I started Kain on his leash when we picked him up at 10 weeks. He was all 'what the heck is this' we stayed VERY consistent with it and his potty training is absolutly amazing. We have also been very consistent but blessed also as his breeder had him in a kennel and he transformed to our house in a kennel pen same as he was in with zero difficulty.

As for the leash we put it on 'every time' we take him out (basically every 2 hrs) throughout the day. He doesn't like it much, lots of times sits down and refuses to move, pulls the other way etc, I've tried VERY hard to NOT pull him on the leash and make him regret it or learn to bite it. Now I put a slight tightness to it, wait for him to loosen it and click and treat as per his clicker training. They talk about the same training for loose leash walking so I'm kinda starting it in house/yard and then will continue on the sidewalk during walks. Basically I will set the path and there is no other option but to listen to what I want. ;)

I have tried to remain calm although sometimes it is hard, I then tell myself, Ok, I have all day let's do this, he comes around quickly. <lol>

Funny thing is we go through 2 doors as well so my process is :

- Sit
- Put on his leash
- Convince him to come to the door
- I open the door
- Request a sit and Stay
- I walk through and command to come
- proceed to next door with convincing across the sunroom <lol>
- Command a Sit and Stay
- I walk through and command a come
- do his business outside (this also takes convincing to follow the leash and go in a certain spot etc and allow me to put it in the garbage after I pick it up
- Getting back to the door to go in is "Easy..."
- Command Sit/Stay
- I enter request to come
- next door
- Command Sit/Stay
- Enter and request to come
- Command sit
- Remove the leash

(Wow - I just realized how anal I am with taking him outside consistently <lol>)

Our day is typically :

7am - Wake up, and straight outside to pee
7:15 - 7:30 - Breakfast and straight outside till he poops
-- Cuddle and Play until we leave for work
8:30 - In his Kennel as we are off to work and kids head to school
11am - Daughter is home from school and lets him out to pee (poop if needed)
12pm - Dinner and straight outside for a poop
1pm - Kennel as we head back to work and kids back to school
3:30pm - Kids let him out of kennel and outside for pee
5 - We are home from work, Cuddle and play time
6 - Supper for the humans then supper for Kain
6:15 - Outside for after supper pee / poop
Evening ritual - Clicker Training, Walk (If this weather ever warms up), fetch etc, Cuddling and watching tv.
9:30 - 10pm - In his kennel for the night until 7:30am the next day.

So far blessed with NO accidents in his kennel or around the house, too good to be true so we are enforcing the above schedule like glue.
thanks

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
No problem at all anytime @ rmurray Keep us posted on how the little one is doing! We are praying he gets better soon! :pray:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.