Crate Training for a new 13 week old English Bulldog puppy

rmurray

Feb 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa
Can somebody provide me with some helpful information on crate training. We have a new 13 week old English Bulldog puppy named Pippa. Would it be detrimental to the indoor crate training to leave outside and unattended in our fenced in back yard. This 1st week has been rough on us and I certainly don't want to do anything to take a step back. This is what I am currently doing. We take her out atleast once an hour while we are home. When we are not home, we leave her in her crate. We only leave her in the crate for 2 hours at the longest. At night, she is put in her crate to sleep. I get up every 2 hours to let her out. This is what we are currently doing. How long will it take before we see great progress? Thanks

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
WElcome to the site! I now have a 9mnth old and it did take some time to potty train! Praise Praise Praise! They love it and I saw the best results from it! wether it be a healthy treat :yum: or booty rubs :) You are doing the right thing with taking them out often to prevent accidents. Take out after eating, sleeping, playing and after drinking alot if you see them roaming or sniffing it may be a sign! My chart I use is 1 month 1 hour 2 month 2 hours 3 months 3 hours and so on! :) I wouldnt say unattented at this age b/c you wont know if she did her business without seeing her and that could cause an accident in the home! ALso at this age they are very curious actually always curious so you need to watch this young b/c they may eat something not supposed to...Hope this helps and Im sure others will be along with great information as well! Welcome again and thanks for joining! You should make a welcome in the introduction forum and post some pics of the baby! They Love pics here :p

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Please don't leave your puppy unattended in back yard! In or out of a crate! I have a wonderful website that I used and it helped immensely. I know it gets overwhelming..but stick with it. My jake was easy..but I know how difficult it is to have trouble. We will help you thru it.
i would take her out every 30 minutes..and immediately after eating and waking up! If she goes..praise..praise.. At her age..she should be able to hold it at night for 3 to 4 hours. rule of thumb is 1 hour for every month..plus an hour. Try to lengthen the time bit by bit at night. Soon she should be at 4 hours. If you still have problems catching her..leash her to you! Everywhere you go..she goes! If you see her start to go..pick her up and run outside..praise her when she goes. I'll get the website and try and link it to http://www.canismajor.com/dog/crate2.html#Hsebrk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You've gotten great advice from [MENTION=4246]ChanelnBrutus[/MENTION] [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] .... give it time, it take some longer than others, but as the others have said add an hour to their month of age and that is how long they can hold their bladder.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.