Cuddle or train to sleep in his bed?

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] I was having a hard time with Brutus biting my other dog(playing) and biting furniture and I listened to other memebers who used squirt bottles lol I know I felt bad the first 5 times but it took 1 day of using it and he now doesnt go near the things that get him squirted lol

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
I haven't had a puppy in a longgggg time, but, typically, they want to play, and want your attention. It isn't necessarily about a place. A firm no, and emphatically ignoring for a short while has always worked for me.

Anything you make a big production of, or dramatize, becomes part of the game. Alot of the dogs with separation anxiety were taught that by owners who made a big fuss about leaving them, and made the simple act of coming home a grand event. Usually, with Princess Poof, when we leave in the morning, my son simply sets the home alarm, says "nap time", she runs to her crate, he kisses her nose, and shuts her door. Tells her he'll see her later, and we leave. 30 seconds on the alarm ;)

Then, when we come home, again, 30 seconds to shut down the alarm, he walks in, opens her door, says something to her.. usually Hey Poof! Then, opens her cage, she runs out the door to potty. He shuts down the alarm. She comes back to the porch to come in, and THEN he makes a HUGE fuss over her.

The dog before my bulldog was an Afghan hound. Polar opposite, but she was my only CHILD. I spoiled her rotten, and taught her alot of bad habits. One of them was that the crate was a time out. A bad place. She barked EVERY time I left her in it. Whether it was at night, or for work. I spent over a year unteaching that. I learned alot of lessons. One very important thing I learned with dogs and children, the child has to be in charge. They are the ones that dominance issues typically arise against. They are naturally the weakest human. And dogs sense that. It's way too easy for a dog to think it's place in the pack is above a child, especially if you spoil it, and treat it like one. I'm not saying don't do that :) We all do :) Just make sure, for your dogs sake, that he knows his place.

C

Cooper11

@Vince00 I always said they need to be housetrained before given full roam of the home! :yes: As a puppy they need a crate area to sleep, eat and just relax.:bully: They may be upset but use blankets, toys and some treats to encourge it..You can try putting him where you sleep so he can see you but Im no expert and I do tend to spoil my bullkids :D..The crate shouldnt be used as punishment or be associated with bad. That is there safe haven to get away lol Thats what Brutus did but it takes time and Im the first to admit the first couple nights :nonono: okay The first almost 2 weeks :p I let him sleep with us in bed and it was bad :yes: bad bad! He pee pee on the floor, bed, matress, pillows, blankets, and even my leg by accident and then I went and no Im kidding on the leg hahaha okay back sorry....The best time to train for housebreaking is when they are young! If we let them continue to have accidents in areas we dont want they tend to get confused and it takes longer of a process! DOnt be discouraged everything takes time! Let me know if you need anything :D

:ROFL: good job Brutus! hehe Mine was worse.....when we first got coop i had him in my bed and he peed on a pillow.....then a few days later I thought I wold try again, O NO!! So bad he :poo:
all over the ned! And when I say all over I mean all over he changed spots like 6 times and he had the soft :poo: and of course my husband had gotten cold or something and covered p with the comforter (witch we usually don't cover up with) and that was what Coop decided yo add a little brown to it!:barf: So So So Bad!

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Oh the unwanted behaviour!

For us, we used an emphatic "no!", and then ignored and removed ourselves from the situation. Whether it's nipping or jumping or getting too riled up, they will learn that any unwanted behaviour equals removal of their human and the fun. They learn pretty quickly. It is just like their littermates would do. If they play to roughly with their littermates, the other pup will simply stop playing with them. That is the "punishment".

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
As pups my babies were in crates till house trained and we were not at home. Now -- they are in bed with us and have free run of the house at all times. We established alpha when the were pups and train consistently always reinforcing what we want them to do and not to do.

mygirlsmomma

Feb 14, 2012
Lake Stevens
Bulldog(s) Names
Ellie
Miss Ellie and our boxer sleep with us..... I love it- my husband doesn't like it very much. But I think it is important that they learn to sleep in their kennel so they are comfortable either way. Ellie (7 months) will sleep in her little kennel, but not nearly as well as she sleeps in our bed- I still let her out once a night so I'm used to her getting up, but when she has to sleep in her kennel she gets up more often. Good luck!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Bullie normally sleeps in her crate. But my children feels it's the job of the family dog to cuddle with them. So, Bullie would sleep in my sons' bed until my son falls asleep, then she gets off and comes to my bedroom to go in her crate. I don't allow dogs in my bed. The crates are in my bedroom right next to my bed so they sleep there if they are not "working" for my kids. Before the dogs are potty trained, they sleep in the crate with the door closed. Now, they sleep in their crate with the door open.

Here's Bullie "working":
1330489787.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.