Open rash/tear stain

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
@kazzy220 what is a hot spot..And Im not sure if he is alergic to the food but just yesterday I completeley switch over to FROMM 4 star duck and sweet potato. I noticed it last week when it was just brownish and size of a penny. During his food tranistion Ive mixed 100 percent caned pumkin in his food for him to eat it.

It's a form of dermatitis .. it grows to become a raw open sore that can ooze fluid. Basically it's a skin infection and bullys seem to get it alot when they are in contact with something they are allergic to. It could be the food or it may be something around him ...even a plastic water or food bowl. They are usually quite itchy and can spread fast. I'm going to tag [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] who have both dealth with hot spots recently and can give you some help.

Just a thought .. I do love Fromm ... but Maggie did not do well on the duck and sweet potato. I know she's not good with chicken so whether it was the duck or an allergy to the potato (which a lot of bullys have) I really couldn't say but I've never bought that paticular flavour again!

OP
A

Antonio Tablante

Feb 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley
[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] thank you soo much for the info. Im actually thinkin to switch to the pork and apple sauce of fromm. Ill have to let you guys know how he does on it. And as far as treating the hot spots Im all ears, again thank you.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
A hot spot is just a wound that is caused by different things. Even fleas can cause them on some dogs. The worst part is if they get out of controll they can get infected and are hard to heal. Dogs will lick and scratch them..which of course compounds the problem. Neosporin or a triple antibiotic..any of those will be fine. Witch hazel would be ok on broken skin..but if it's in a wrinkle or nose rope..after you use witch hazel..take a teeny...I mean teeny ..dab of desitin on a Qtip and use on irritated wrinkle. On that hot spot..I would treat it with the peroxide and antibiotic ointment ..not witch hazel!

OP
A

Antonio Tablante

Feb 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley
Have a good night everyone..going to bed for work tom. I will let you guys know and any other advice would greatly be appreciated.Goodnight :)

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
[MENTION=4338]Antonio Tablante[/MENTION] my Aldo had a hotspot recently. I shaved the area, it was about 2 inches x 2 inches and oozing fluid. It was due to some treats I gave him for training. I shaved the area to let it air dry, washed it with clorhexidine every few days and dried really good with cotton balls. It grew a little more before getting better. But it ended up drying up fully in about 1.5 weeks or so. If you look in my threads you will see a picture of the one my dog had

OP
A

Antonio Tablante

Feb 18, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Wrigley
[MENTION=3247]acarabias[/MENTION] thank you and where do I check out the threads?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
a hot spot is usually a food allergy i believe. if this has just come up when you were switching food im thinking to back off the switch and see if it gets better. tear stains can be food or environmental. ive no experience with cleaning them but maybe some peroxide and water. then maybe some powder to keep it dry. i like lotrimin powder as it will kill any yeast that maybe there. i dont think i would use witch hazel on an open sore or raw skin id think it would burn. there are several threads about hot spots i think in the bulldog health section. gosh i cant remember what they did for them. i think they shaved the area and cant remember what they put on it. maybe try some triple antibiotic.
also have you thought of a blood allergy test. will help you so much with food issues as to what to feed and tell you what environmental he is allergic to. gosh good luck

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just a little info! My daughter has a huge (114 lbs) golden retriever. He currently has an e collar on because he has a huge hotspot under his tail! His was caused by a flea! He is very sensitive to fleas and then he kept chomping until it was huge! Vet cleaned it..put him on antibiotics and now it just has to heal! Soooo..other dogs have "issues" too! :up:

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
LMAO Paisley has a "German Shepherd" issue going on. Fortunately, it is usually much further advanced for the Sheps, because it's under their tail and fur, and the Sheps can reach it, and make it worse.. Similar to your daughters retriever. Luckily for Paisley, she can't reach her butt, has no tail, and super short fur, so we caught it early :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds to me like there was a reaction to the e collar. This happened to me as well, up under the neck from moisture (like dripping from the water bowl), in combination with the plastic from the collar. The collar also folds the turkey neck creating a new place for bacteria to grow.

Hot spots that occur from food generally show up behind the ears and neck, usually anyway.

For the tear stains, I have been having much success with Malacetic Ultra. I would not use it daily however, it seems very strong! In between I also use witch hazel.

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Bottled water made Brooklyn tear stain free. He had horrendous tear stains and now he is pure white :) good luck!

C

Cooper11

Sounds to me like there was a reaction to the e collar. This happened to me as well, up under the neck from moisture (like dripping from the water bowl), in combination with the plastic from the collar. The collar also folds the turkey neck creating a new place for bacteria to grow.

Hot spots that occur from food generally show up behind the ears and neck, usually anyway.

For the tear stains, I have been having much success with Malacetic Ultra. I would not use it daily however, it seems very strong! In between I also use witch hazel.

Really I was afraid to use the Malacetic Ultra for tear stains....how often do you use it then?

C

Cooper11

Bottled water made Brooklyn tear stain free. He had horrendous tear stains and now he is pure white :) good luck!

O GOSH!!! You telling me this dog needs bottled water now!!!! Next he will need a bidet! I just keep seeing $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.