I'm feeling conflicted.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=685]Chewysdaddy[/MENTION] ... I am so sorry for your lose how you are feeling is very normal. Unfortunately, I know this from experience, I LOVE my girl Banks very much, she is spoiled beyond spoiled as is our new guy, Chelios (French Bulldog); however, my heart still does and always will belong to my sweet boy, Nitschke. He died suddenly in October and I just can't see myself connecting in the same way I did with him. I will have other puppies (very soon, i hope), but I know the feeling will not be the same, and in a way, I do not want it to be -- I want Nitshcke to always be my very special boy.

[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] - can also relate to you more than I

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
I am so very sorry for your loss of Roscoe. Nobody will ever replace him, nor should they. What you and he had was special and that can never be overwritten. Now it's time for you and Chewy to build new memories together and create a new bond. No one will ever take Roscoe's place but I think if you compare him to your beloved, departed friend you will cheat both you and your new baby of a great life ahead.

Enjoy that sweet little face while you have him. And post lots of pictures!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh yes i think any bully owner understands. i have had many pets over the years and loved them all mind you but sarah is my sweet special baby. when the day comes ive always said just put me in a hole next to her. but i know that when one thing goes you get something else. not as a replacement but as something new and something that can be just as good. not the same but good also. just give it time. i had a friend who lost her boston. well months later a pug came along and i hooked them up as her hubby wanted a new dog but she was not ready. it took months but now you could not even mention to her not having her pug. just dont rush it it will come.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Welcome back [MENTION=685]Chewysdaddy[/MENTION] we all have loss to some degree in common, and this is a great place to share emotion, not just experience and questions. This is family, let er rip. :yes: Never give up your old love and memory's, make new ones. :smoochwink:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm so sorry for your loss ... bulldogs are special ... they are not humans and they are not dogs ..they are on a special level that seems to touch the heart like nothing else can.

Losing a bully is almost the same as losing a child to a lot of people so I understand your need to mourn. However, this pup has been sent to you for a reason. I'd like to think that your sweet bully would never want you to be sad and understanding your sadness has sent Chewy into your life to open up your heart again and remind you how to love .

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I totally get it. I lost Wilsons sister Snowflake when she was only 7 months but we loved her to bits. My husband is not a emotional or even a pet person but he bonded with her and grieved for her. He admitted that he's never hurt that bad for even family members that have passed. Our heartache was very real and we so desperately wanted to heal the hole in our hearts. I sought out a new white puppy (BabyGirl) but it didn't really mend our hearts right away. It took some weeks but we enjoyed her sassyness and soon we would open up and take her in and love her for the unique personality she was. But we never forgot our little Snowflake, which we called our "Little Princessa" as well. She was instrumental in teaching my husband to love animals and that love for animals has blossomed in him as he now has new found compassion for all kinds of creatures.

:heart: Snowflake :heart:
20090302_138.jpg

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
[MENTION=685]Chewysdaddy[/MENTION] I know exactly how you feel. Dozer passed away very suddenly in September and I am still heartbroken. He was my very best friend. I cried inconsolably for days. I couldn't sleep at night. When I did sleep I would wake up thinking I heard him and then start bawling because I would again realize he was gone. I still cry because he's gone, I sleep with his picture next to my bed, I talk to him and tell him goodnight every night and how much I dearly miss him. I don't think I will ever have the kind of relationship I have with him with another living creature ,dog or human.
About a month after he passed away I decided my house was to quiet and I needed another dog. Part of me wanted Tyson ( the new dog) to replicate some of the feelings I had for Dozer. Turns out it doesn't work that way. I felt very guilty at first for getting a new dog. I felt like trivializing my relationship with Dozer. I was given a book called the rainbow bridge and then I just felt guilty because the only dog I wanted to spend eternity with was Dozer. I felt guilt too because I felt like it wasn't fair to Tyson that I was still missing Dozer so badly and that I felt like he wasn't a good replacement. I expected him to do things that Dozer did and love me the way Dozer did. You see as crazy as it sounds Dozer "talked" to me. Not in words but I knew what he was thinking adn trying to tell me and he knew what I was going to do before I did it. I had him from the time he was 9 weeks old til he passed at 11 months and he was with me every second. He commuted an a hour and a half to work with me, he slept with me, he followed my every move. Tyson was almost 8 we we got him, hadn't had the best life and was very independent. I might as well have gotten a different kind of animal completely because that's what having Tyson felt like. We didn't understand each other, he wanted to be petted but he didn't want to play or cuddle and he barely responded when I talked to him.
Fast forward to now. I have had Tyson 5 months. He is still pretty independent, he still won't play , he is still stubborn and doesn't listen unless I say car or cookie. He still won't cuddle and wouldn't dare sleep in my bed. He spends 99 percent of his time asleep, drooling on my new couch. And these are all the reasons I love him. It took a while for me to accept that things are so much different and that it was ok Tyson was here. Tyson did not fill the empty space in my heart, but he did fill the empty space in my home. I love Tyson , in the way a person loves their dog not in the way I love my boy. I never will and that is ok . I'm happy to have Tyson .He has a place with me for the rest of his stinky, stubborn, lazy life. He is happy treated very well and has ample attention and affection. I know that when Tyson passes, I will be sad .I will miss him dearly and I will have another empty place in my heart, the hole just won't be as big, or deep . I know that someday I will probably have another dog and it won't compare to either of my boys.

Last edited:

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
[MENTION=685]Chewysdaddy[/MENTION] Before I got my Brutus I had to put my 2 year old pitbull to sleep! We rescued her at 5mnths and she has hadseveral health problems that cost a lot but I didnt want to give up on her! Eventually they told us that it was painful and she wasnt comfotable so we made the toughest decision and It was very hard I cried for days even though I still had my Chanel...We got Brutus about 7 mnths later and its not replacing just giving the love I had to another! Sorry about Roscoe and just know he wants you to be happy!

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
Reading these posts is making me cry. Because I totally understand! I love Paisley with allllllllll my heart! She's an amazing, special, sweet, wonderful doggie. She makes us laugh, she keeps us warm, and she keeps us from taking life too seriously. She's my son's best friend, and sister. My son's dad and I divorced when he was 6. His dad had two children from before we met, who lived with us before my son was even born. In the space of that year that we divorced, my son's older half brother went to live with his mom so my son lost him. His dad no longer lived with us, so he lost a piece of that. My son's older half sister stayed with us since his dad deployed all the time, but, when his dad got a stateside job, she went to go live with her dad, so he lost her in his everyday life. Then, I got a new job in a new city, so we sold our house and moved. Through all of this, of course, I am there, but a child needs more than just their parent. They need someone to confide in. Someone to be there, anytime you need a hug. He has Paisley. She's the only one who knows his brother, and dad, and sister, like he does. None of his friends here have ever met his brother or dad. She has been his very very best friend. Most people would say I'm crazy saying that. But, once you've had "that dog", that one that knows you, the one that you belong to, and were meant for, you understand it. We say things, and share things, that we don't even know how to share. They understand us without words.

Paisley isn't my dog, she's Daniels dog. My heart is owned by my Ali. It's been four years since I could run my hands through her coat, and smell her Bio Groom conditioner on my pillow, but I know she'll be at the bridge for me. In the meantime, Princess Paisel Poof is a blessing! She was the new baby our family needed :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.