Questions from strangers

atxbullygirl

Feb 24, 2012
Austin, Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter
There is one thing about owning an EB that I still can't get used to.

Whenever we go out to either the park or a Pet store etc it never fails someone will ask how much we paid for our dog.

We all know these babies are not cheap but these questions coming from total strangers make me a bit uncomfortable.

Does anyone else have similar experiences and what do you say.

Being from the South, maybe it is a manners thing for me, but I was raised to not ask questions like that.

SDxBuLLiSHDoG

Feb 19, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
First Lady Hennessy aka SySy
even from friends I prefer not to elaborate. I'm with you and don't find any disrespect in just saying "a good amount of coin". not much else needed aside from that but that's just me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yep - get it all the time.... I usually ignore it and do not answer..... if they persist, I normally say (nicely) do some research cause it varies

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've been pretty lucky and have only been asked that only a couple of times by people I know. I think it's a very rude question To ask someone you don't even know nor have ever met before and it's none of their business. Being as the price can range from 1600 and higher, it's not information I care give! Not sure what I would say if someone asked me that at a store, but it would might be "how much you make a year do you make?

NikkiSchoolcraft

Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston, Hitch, Layla, Sugar Boo
I hear it ALL the time! Since I am heavily involved in rescue I also hear "are they cheaper??" I just smile as pretty as I can and say I paid a lot for them (I have 3...one I bought and 2 I adopted) there is no such thing as a cheap bulldog!

cornelia

Feb 16, 2012
Lichtenau, a village in northwest Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Frieda, Kosmo
If the person is just socially curious, I would answer „If you have to ask, you can’t afford one“ ;-)

If they are genuinely interested in buying a pup, I’d tell them €500 to €3000 (here in Germany) depending on quality and lineage of the litter. (We do not distinguish here between ‚pet‘ and ‚show‘ bulldogs, all pups of the litter have the same price.) At the same time I’d warn them about buying a cheap pup (500 to 1200 Euros). They usually came from east european puppy mills, often ill, not registered or even tagged, not dewormed etc etc. I´d tell them this business is based on the misery of the mother bitches, litter after litter after litter.

English polished by hubby Stu ;-)

Last edited:

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
you know i dont think ive had that asked but like once. most just admire how pretty she is or say ive always wanted one and can i pet her. if they did i would very much downplay how much it is as they are a very stolen breed. very rude imo.

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
I get asked the same thing every time we go out. I never knew how to respond, so my hubby said just to tell them "the norm."

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.