Bulldog excitement

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
I am curious as to the different ways that English Bulldogs express their excitement towards meeting new dogs. Learning how Scuttle expresses herself is a never ending process and we are always learning something new. We are unsure about her reaction towards strange dogs so any comparisons would be helpful.

Thanks!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Nischke was always very calm... would just walk up and sniff around the feet/ankles making his way to the butt. Banks, yeah, not so much like her big brother -- she is right in the face or right to the butt depending on the body language of the other dog.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Mack always sticks his nose in their privates--once he got his head peed on! Ruggles assumes every dog wants to play and gets in the universal play position. A mean, snarling cow dog bit him once but that hasn't dampened his spirits!

C

Cooper11

Yep Coop goes right for the butt :fart::eek: .....um and I think he goes both ways.....cuz....um.......he has tried humping my Griffen and gets in trouble quite a bit for trying to molest him outside! :confused: But he has calmed down now that his boys are gone! :lmao:

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
These are all super cute stories! Are they vocal when they see another dog or generally pretty quiet?

C

Cooper11

These are all super cute stories! Are they vocal when they see another dog or generally pretty quiet?
Bulldogs are not known for being big barking dogs....or maybe you meant whining :). Cooper is pretty quiet when meeting other dogs. I do notice her likes the bigger dogs like the black lab that runs the neighborhood. Easy access he can just walk right under her and smell the goods :eek:. My mom has a 10 lbs shih tzu that Cooper doesn't get to see very often and when he does see her....no noise but he chases her all over the house. He is 7 months and she is almost 10 years old so she is beyond the playing years and gets very annoyed! He is so gentle with her though. He will gently smell her as she is growling all pissy at him. I had her at my house the other day and she gets on the top of the back of the couch and he would get on the couch and just rest his head by her...yes she still growled. I have to giver her a haricut and kenneled her when she was done so Coop didn't bother he and he laid right in front of the kennel just looking at her with his head on the ground. It was soooo cute.

I do know that you should be very careful when introducing them to new dogs. There is always a dominance thing with dogs and if either your dog or the other persons dog wants to be the dominant one and feel threatened you may have a :girlfight:. Now when Gracie and Cooper (both bullies) play together they can get loud with moans and grunts and growling but in a playful manner, well sometimes playful :) and go at each others face....My brussles griffen also gets loud when he plays with Coop.

ollieivy

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver and Ivy Claire
Our girl Ivy is always very friendly towards other dogs, but Ollie is a true bully. If he senses weakness or fear, he will dominate. We don't like this, but don't really know how to stop it either. They go on off leash walks every day, and usually they are without incident but there have been a few very embarassing times. Once Ollie gets it in his head that he is going to exert his dominance, there is no stopping him. He is big and strong.

I

ImAGuinneyPig

Guinness usually hunkers down on the ground on her belly, and her bum just starts a wiggling! If the dog is a regular acquaintance of hers, she is generally more forward.

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
Paisley is an older girl.. and very sure of herself, so take this with a grain of salt...

She always approaches, head held high, and does her "Bulldog dance" where she shifts from right paw up to left paw up and back and forth for probably 10 seconds (til they actually are close to each other.)

As soon as the other dog is close, she stops, squares up, and breaths in with a HUGE snort... Like a kid hauking a lugie (lmao... I've NEVER actually written out the expression!) Then, one of two things happen... The other dog dives in friendly, and they play. Or, the other dog mistakes the lugie and her breathing (snorting) for growl, and there is tension for a few seconds til it's clear that it wasn't a growl or snarl. For this reason, I always have Paisley meet other dogs on leash. And never assume they'll be ok. She's friendly with other dogs, but, the wrong greeting for many of them.

Same deal with little little kids. She loves kids with all her heart, but, alot of them are afraid of her "sounds" at first.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online