Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Firefighter Lilt

Feb 24, 2012
Baltimore,MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandon
Brandon is going back and forth to vet due to being a puppy and getting his shots .. And I was wondering about getting insurance for him .. I have seen a-couple listed insurance companies but unsure how they really work.. :nope::ashamed: yes I know it sounds crazy .. But I don't understand how they work with the deductibles an stuff.. I know the vet bills don't get any cheaper from here tho .. So figured Id ask some people who knew and have it.. Maybe lead me in the right direction .. :begging:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm not sure I can vote on this ... I had Trupanion for Maggie. We did use it because she has some neurological problems, and they were very swift to pay the bill and I was so happy with them until a year had passed and they immediately doubled the premium. They came up with some garbage about rising vet costs was forcing them to increase the payments, but I honestly think it is just because the bulldog is a breed known for it's health problems. Anyway I cancelled my policy and when anything comes up in the future that is major we are planning to use the carecredit instead.

As far as the deductibles are concerned ... it's just like any other type of insurance. If you decide to have a $200 deductible it will lower your monthly premium payments. However, if something were to happen to your bully you would pay the first $200 of the vet bill and also the cost of the office visit (usually). After that the insurance company will tell you how much they are willing to pay of the balance. It is usually a set percentage of the balance. So if your deductible was $200 and the insurance company say they will pay out 80%. Then you would take your vet bill, minus the cost of the office visit. Then take $200 off what is left. The balance after that you would be liable for 20% and the insurance company would pay 80%.

From the total bill you would be paying the office visit plus $200 plus 20% of what is left. Hope that makes sense!!

Also, most insurance companies expect you to pay the vet bill first and then make a claim with the invoice and receipts which they will then reimburse you on once they have checked everything.

Trupanion did not have any limits as to how much they would pay out in a year, but I know other insurance companies do.

OP
Firefighter Lilt

Firefighter Lilt

Feb 24, 2012
Baltimore,MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandon
Thank you for the fast reply .. Sorry to hear bout Maggie :*( .... I think I may try the insurance just in case and pay the monthly bill that you stated.. I mean in the long run it's always the WHAT IF's.. And god know's us Bully owner's dont want or need them..

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I have Trupanion also..but I've never needed it. :begging: I've only heard good things about their paying of claims..but bad things about rates being raised! My rates haven't gone up..but I'm just nearing my first year. I think the other good one is pet plan or gopetplan. [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] can fill you in on that. Now..I would also suggest you think about Carecredit. It's like a credit card but limited to vets, dentists,etc. They let you spread out your payments...interest free..for up to 24 months. They set you up on a payment plan so it's paid off in a predetermined time frame. The more expensive the longer time you have. Even if you do get insurance, you could use it to pay for procedures until insurance reimburses you. And you could pay your deductible off over time. And NO..I don't work for them..:ROFL: I just like having the little extra security!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
here is an easy math calculation based on what @kazzy220 informed. I hope it will help you determine if Trupanion is right for you. :)
math.JPG

:rofl:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
OP
Firefighter Lilt

Firefighter Lilt

Feb 24, 2012
Baltimore,MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandon
here is an easy math calculation based on what @kazzy220 informed. I hope it will help you determine if Trupanion is right for you. :)

Great way to put it Jack... :lmao:

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
sorry so late getting back to you..
We do have insurance gopetplan.. we have a 200 deductible.. Duke has had eye surgery on both eyes.. cost over 3000 and they did pay for it.. he also has had an eR visit needing xrays which they paid for and they did pay for all of his allergy testing and shots..

now he is going to be 5 in August and his new renewal just went up to 84.00 a month :(
we thought of cancelling until the girl i work with just took her dog to the vet for an injury to his knee.. her estimate for surgery and follow up is over $4000! I am not sure what is considered to be " worth " it.. BUT I don't ever want to have to make a decision because I didn't have the money.

Now my cousin has an EB they put 100 away each month in the bank for emergencies.. to be honest. I know I wouldn't do that. so insurance is best for us.. hope this helps!

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
I just signed both of my dogs up for Healthy Paws. It got excellent reviews and coverage. It was a bit pricey because I got a $50 yearly deductible and 90 percent coverage.

OP
Firefighter Lilt

Firefighter Lilt

Feb 24, 2012
Baltimore,MD
Bulldog(s) Names
Brandon
I just signed both of my dogs up for Healthy Paws. It got excellent reviews and coverage. It was a bit pricey because I got a $50 yearly deductible and 90 percent coverage.

So my question is now .. if I had the insurance do I pay out full price to vet first .. Then file claim with the insurance .. or do they have a card they run that shows they cover so much of the bill?

Sorry never had pet insurance before.. And thank you all for the replies they are really helping out lots of people looking Im sure !!

Howardsmom

Feb 26, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Howard
I believe you pay the vet first and then submit the claim to insurance to get reimbursed. Kind of a bummer but they all pretty much work that way to my knowledge. Good luck and let us know what you decide!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online