Do pull ups work better than diapers?

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
Finding myself in an odd situation. And, it's actually how I found BDN.

My bulldog girl, who is 7, was recently diagnosed with Perineal fistulae. Between the symptoms, and reading about it, we are clearly in for some nastiness for the next couple months.

In short, this causes a seeping, nasty lesion in the anal area. In Paisley's case, it is about an inch to the right of her anus. And, the "hole" is about the size of a large... mmmm... mechanical pencil barrel, if that makes sense.

At first, we had a nasty, nasty back end going, and I thought it was anal glands and took her to the vet. She then pointed out "the hole." Well, she thought it was likely that Paisley's butt, met a stick and she poked herself while pottying. We did 2 weeks of antibiotics, and no such luck.

Now, she's on meds, and a novel diet, but, we are still dealing with the butt. At first, I was keeping it wiped, and covering it with a big bandaid (but it pulls her fur when I remove it, so I HATE doing it. Then I bought some dog underwear, but, because of the way the pad has to go in there, it doesn't cover her wound. ANNNNNNNNNNNNNND the wound sometimes seeps way more than those little pads can accomodate. Then, there is the issue that her badonkadonk isn't shaped like a normal dog, and she has no tail to keep them anchored.

Well.... I am thinking maybe diapers or pull ups? The vet said I can put neosporin on it (to keep it from sticking) if I want to cover it up while she's up and about in the house. I've been leaving it uncovered in her crate, thank God she can't reach her butt!!

Think about it like... in heat, times 5 as far as the amount of fluid...

Has anyone used either diapers or pull ups on their grown bully? She's 52 pounds, I wonder what size to buy..

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
I had to use diapers on Chanel before we got her spayed at 4 years old! She is 65 lbs and we used pull ups! The diapers sometimes would come off bc the tabs would rip! The pull ups worked and didn't run down (check sizes first) not exactly by weight lol I went with stage 3 ! I changed them often as well! Good luck! Hope everything works out for you!

C

Cooper11

I girl I met through our bulldogs breeder because she has 5 EB and gotten most of them from same breeder. She uses these for when they go into heat...I think they are specially made and she says they are awesome. Thinking you could even put an extra pad in or some tissue if it absorbs too much??? Dunno if all the underwear for dogs are like this but this lady says they stay on! And best part they are made for Bulldogs therefore there is no tail hole!
http://www.makinbulldogs.com/Designs.html
[MENTION=4367]Blitzburggirl[/MENTION]

OP
Blitzburggirl

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
Hey! Thanks for the link!! Those are adorable, and I like the fact that they are handmade!! :) I emailed them, and hopefully they'll get back to me soon. Otherwise, I'll be picking up some pull ups tonight LMAO I guess I'll give stage 3 a shot ;)

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
when Bella needed diapers, I bought the cheap humans ones at Walmart. She was so small, they worked fine.

We then fostered a Frenchies who didn't have control of his bladder. I had a hard time keeping the diapers on him, so I bought a velcro male dog belt for urination. you are supposed to line with pads, but they were expensive. I lined them with the cheap diapers instead.

I wonder if the doggie rubber pants lined with a cheaper diaper would work.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
when Bella needed diapers, I bought the cheap humans ones at Walmart. She was so small, they worked fine.

We then fostered a Frenchies who didn't have control of his bladder. I had a hard time keeping the diapers on him, so I bought a velcro male dog belt for urination. you are supposed to line with pads, but they were expensive. I lined them with the cheap diapers instead.

I wonder if the doggie rubber pants lined with a cheaper diaper would work.

My bichon still marks the house when he's in high anxiety mode (he's got psych issues) so I use the belly band on him but I pad it with maxipads. :)

I have no input as far as diapers go. But, I do have experience on using bandages on dogs and what I had to do was shave around the area where the bandage tape goes on so that it does not pull hair when I take it off.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Iphone 660.jpgI use pullups they seem to stay on better..I also get the mattress suspenders from walmart to hold them on...This is a pic of Gracies harness. Now its a diaper harness but you can do the same thing with a regular harness.

C

Cooper11

View attachment 17616I use pullups they seem to stay on better..I also get the mattress sus

penders from walmart to hold them on...This is a pic of Gracies harness. Now its a diaper harness but you can do the same thing with a regular harness.

:lmao: How cute is that!!! I bet that is a funny site watching her walk around the house with that get up on !:ROFL:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
You get used to it..She has to be like this all the time..I try to find pretty things to put her in..I have had some pretty rude comments about how lazy it is to keep your bully in panties. Then I have to explain she has spina bifida and cant control her pee and poo..Then I get a quick apology

C

Cooper11

You get used to it..She has to be like this all the time..I try to find pretty things to put her in..I have had some pretty rude comments about how lazy it is to keep your bully in panties. Then I have to explain she has spina bifida and cant control her pee and poo..Then I get a quick apology
:( well how rude people can be! I think it is the cutest thing! :D

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
View attachment 17616I use pullups they seem to stay on better..I also get the mattress suspenders from walmart to hold them on...This is a pic of Gracies harness. Now its a diaper harness but you can do the same thing with a regular harness.

I just might do that for Abby. She has gotten very spoiled in the past 2 weeks and likes to be in bed with us. But because she needs to pee all the time, it makes it very difficult. She's gotten pretty good at waking us up but something like this might help us deal with occasional accidents.

C

Cooper11

I just might do that for Abby. She has gotten very spoiled in the past 2 weeks and likes to be in bed with us. But because she needs to pee all the time, it makes it very difficult. She's gotten pretty good at waking us up but something like this might help us deal with occasional accidents.

:luv: If I gave you my email would you email me your address???!!!!! :crazy: I know weird huh???:ROFL: But Coop would really like to send Abby a Thinking of You Package! :)

OP
Blitzburggirl

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
Hey everyone! Thank you for the ideas! I bought some of the pull ups this weekend, and they were great! I know it sounds like I'm whining.. but, Paisley is fine in terms of potty.. So, given the upset tummy (read: quick notice pooooooing) it kind of frustrated her that she had to get them off to go potty. LMAO She thinks I'm nuts I'm sure!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I had an easier time with pull-ups...and some tips from [MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION] helped too...those mattress suspenders are a really great idea!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Those mattress suspendesr are a life saver. I buy them in bulk..lol...

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.