Help...Aggressive

fonzy13

Oct 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Zero
Hi guys I need some help? I have a 6 month old puppy that is a little to aggressive at times. He is mostly aggressive toward my daughter. He like to nip at feet & also like to jump and latch on to you. I was looking into neutering but read somewhere that if done at early age he may not fully get the bulky look. Any ideas on what to do? DSCN6092.jpg

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Hi guys I need some help? I have a 6 month old puppy that is a little to aggressive at times. He is mostly aggressive toward my daughter. He like to nip at feet & also like to jump and latch on to you. I was looking into neutering but read somewhere that if done at early age he may not fully get the bulky look. Any ideas on what to do?View attachment 17601

Hi, super cute pup..
First, how much exercise does he get? Do you have rules in the house or is he allowed to do as he pleases? Is your daughter firm with him, or is she excited around him? She can start by saying "NO" in a low voice and turning her backing ignoring him. Sometimes with children's voices the dog thinks they are engaging them in a game. He needs physical exercise as well as mental exercise w/ stuffed Kongs or basic training. You can attend puppy classes to tire him out as well as socialize.

He is old enough to be neutered, but, it does not guarantee the behaviour will go away. If your household is already strict and he has exercise and boundaries, and he's STILL acting out, then yes neuter. But if you haven't tried training then neutering won't make a difference. Address the home situation first, then make an appointment to neuter when your vet recommends.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Well here's what I do if my guys like to get out of hand. I have two one year olds males (one is a AmStaff) and a 12 week old female. This has worked with my two older ones since they were little. I grab their nap at the back of the neck, not too firm but firm enough, and submit them into a laying position if that makes sense. When they must completely submit it's over and I always win, not them. It works for me and my guys, even my little missy Emma. It sounds harsh but trust me it really isn't. My two guys know I'm alpha and they behave for the most part when I say so.

Sounds like to me he's just displaying his inner puppyness with your daughter and doesn't know his boundries yet. You can also have your daughter give him a toy to bite/chew on instead of her. Replacing a bad behavior with a good one is a wonderful learning tool too.

Your guys a cutie. :welcome: to EBN too.

luvdogz

Apr 28, 2011
I'd be willing to bet that the "latching on" is the legacy of what the eb was originally bred for - i.e. bull-baiting. They latch onto the bulls nose and DO NOT let go. This drive remains in some bloodlines. Be proud you've got one with this historic behaviour. My neutered male does it. So does my spayed mini eb. Generally, it's called "tug drive".

I hang one of those toy-tires-with-a-rope-through-it on a strong string (we use a pigging string like they use to rope cattle) and he absolutely LOVES to grab on and hold it. You see this set-up with pit bull training to teach to grab and hold on, even while hanging and being tossed around (like from a bull back in the day). I think it's cool. Get some type of tug toy and play with him with it.

I don't think he's being aggressive - he wants to PLAY!!! Exercise, discipline, affection..................and take him to obedience class.........you will bond and learn SO much.

Play with your boy...he needs to be stimulated mentally.

acarabias

Sep 15, 2011
El Paso, Texas, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Aldo Chocolate, Katara Fiona, Bruno Cannoli
Oh I could have written this thread! I am having the same issue with my male. He is also 6 months old and he lunches to grab my daughters feet. I am finishing with training with Katara; he is next. I need to lay him down and force him everytime he does it like [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION] said. He really scared me today. :cry:

OP
fonzy13

fonzy13

Oct 2, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Zero
Hey guys I do try to walk him everyday. He is currently in class & is good their. As soon as we get home he starts to act up. I do try to lay him down but he get more aggressive. Their is days he not bad but would love to cuddle with him

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
the breeder who i got annie off and shes bred bulldogs for 40 years advised me to take them firmly by the chops with both hands and give them a shake telling them no very very firmly,ive seen her with 5 8 week old pups ,they have come to the doorway and she has just clicked her finger and said no to them and they just waited at the door they didnt even attempt to cross the threshold i was amazed,shes always said be calm,confident and never soft with a bulldog if they see you as weak they will take over,easier said than done ,with the other 4 bulldogs ive had off her over the years i never ever had a problem but with annie ,well its another story but she is very highly strung ,i use the water bottle whenever shes out of line and it never fails ,its so difficult with a young bulldog ,hope you find a solution,karen

cornelia

Feb 16, 2012
Lichtenau, a village in northwest Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Frieda, Kosmo
Dogs animate other dogs to play by nipping their rear legs. Your puppy is doing the same with your kid. This behavior is NOT aggressive. Distract him!

We have made best experiences with this "distracting toy" : cut off a leg of a old jeans (unwashed), tie a knot in it and play TOGETHER with him "who is the stronger one of us".

Bulldogs need more as other breeds physical contact with their people. That is part of their special charm. I love it.

There are a lot of really very good books about behavior of dogs and how to train them. I give you a short list of English writing authors:
My favored one : Patricia B. McConnell
Dr. Michael W. Fox
Betty Fisher/Suzanne Delzio

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
as others have said.... get the spray bottle with water and squirt him right in the face with a firm NO

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.