Kain ate the end of a bully bone... Aaarrggg

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Hi all,

So before I educated myself about Nylabones and Deer antlers we had bought a package of Bully Bones (Sticks). Once there chewed on they turn a kinda white senew and gets a little sloppy, last night he was chewing and there was probably about a 2" piece left unchewed with the white portion and he (Swallowed it).

Needless to say I didn't sleep well last night.

We have been monitoring very closly and everything is 100% normal, ate breakfast and lunch as well as a poop this morning and afternoon.

I'm going to continue to monitor but I was so concerned I got up at 3:30am and got him to sleep with us instead so I could keep a close eye on him.
He did throw up around 3am but I also gave him a few frozen pees / carrots with last nights training for the first time so that may be the issue with that.

Will keep a close eye for the next 48 hrs but is there anything I should be concerned with otherwise, all symptoms are good you would never know he ate it and I'm not 100% sure how big or small it was but suspect 1-1/2" or so atleast.

Will it digest properly in the stomach before passing? also how long before it would pass fully?

Thanks all... Last bully bone I buy for him, Nylabones from here on in for sure and I already made that change before this happened... So mad we didn't throw it out sooner.

Vince

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Hey Vince, I feel your worries ..
As long as he poops today and tomorrow, you're in the clear.
A 2" piece may go thru... Kain looks pretty big (avatar foto)

You'll just need to do what you are doing and that is monitor him for pooping and throwing up.. Not much more you can do. . Unless of course you want to induce vomiting...
I really do not know how to do that.. Others will chime in shortly and advise.
Good luck. I've been there too. ..!

C

Cooper11

Just watch the :poo: for any blood. My Cooper eats bones really good and I keep a close eye on him. Gracie doesn't gets bones much cause she swallows everything! She rectal bleeding at a few months old and we blamed it on a bone we think she swallowed. She was put on an antibiotic and recovered just fine. But now my mom doesn't give her bones. If your little guy really likes bones just get him a really big bone and let him naw on that and when it gets to a point when he can put the whole thing n his mouth take it away! Otherwise nylabones and antler edars are good!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You'd be amazed what can pass thru these guys! I think you are probably ok..but make sure he is eating and pooping like normal. @Jack Daniels has experience in eating a training bra! Now..it did cost mucho $$$$ and didn't pass..but I always like to take the opportunity to use him as an example! :D

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
If he continues to throw up (even though pooping ok) you might want to call your vet. Penny was throwing up first around 5-6am for a few days & finally ended up throwing up a piece of plastic clothes basket that she had eaten :eek:

She has been fine since, but her poo was fine even though she was throwing up. We initially thought it was because of an empty stomach, so I was giving her a snack before bed which I'm sure she didn't mind....:ROFL:

Hope he's ok!

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
So far so good, he only threw up around 3am i'm hoping it was from the change of treat and maybe was too full since he did so good in training etc.

He has been good all day, just did a bit more training and about to feed him for supper, he's jumping around, running, and nailing the tricks so he looks to be good! Keeping fingers crossed and will watch his 3rd poop for the day here.

Thanks again for all the help! Love forums and you guys and gals are no exception to the positive help I always find in them.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] .... how is Kain doing?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Before I found EBN I use to give them those rawhide sticks from the market, now they only get deer antlers. My bullys seem to almost swallow those rawhide sticks whole and then throw them up whole!:ohmy: Sometimes they would poo them out half digested. :poo: I feel lucky they didn't have worse complications from my ignorance.

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Everything has been good since then I'm happy to report. Pooped on schedule and no side effects so I'm in the clear. Man was I scared was up since 3:30am that morning so I'm happy we're passed that now.

Thanks again everyone!

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Question on deer antlers... Can I just use real antlers or should I buy them? Is there a difference?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Question on deer antlers... Can I just use real antlers or should I buy them? Is there a difference?

They are the real antlers, but clean and processed in some way

C

Cooper11

@Vince00
Cool! Glad he is feeling better! Gracie goes to the neighbors and chews on the antlers on the deer head they have as "decoration" in the yard! :eek:
Guess it's a midwest thing!:ROFL: But I'm pretty sure Gracie feels like they have it out there for her :)

and they may just clean the antler...so you might be good if you have some...
this is what it says online
Dogs of all kinds will love the natural and unique qualities of our Ranch Rewards Deer Antler Chews. Deer shed their antlers yearly, making them a renewable, all-natural treat dogs will love. A great source of calcium and minerals, these chews feature no chemical enhancements, dyes, preservatives or detectable odors to humans. Antlers have a naturally occurring odor that appeals to a dog's sense of smell, encouraging them to chew and play.

C

Cooper11

and this
They are cleaned with a mild USDA approved food cleaner, cut to size, then lightly sanded for packaging. Deer antlers for dogs are much less likely to chip or splinter when they are being chewed than processed bones. The chewing action grinds the antler chew down slowly providing a long lasting chew! Most antlers will last your dog weeks or months. Virtually no odor or residue to get on your carpet or furniture and no two antlers are the same

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Interesting, time to go grab some horns off the old bucks we have held onto for years...

C

Cooper11

Interesting, time to go grab some horns off the old bucks we have held onto for years...

Um...since I gave you that info you have to send me some for free :) :lmao::ROFL:
Or I'll send Coop to your house and he will blow you away because is a armed and loaded :fart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.