Afraid of bloat

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Hi everyone! I'm new, be gentle. :D I have a puppy named Beefy, he's 12 wks old and the light of my life. My concern is him possibly getting bloat. Every time I feed him and give him water he inhales everything. He's definitely not starving but acts like he is the way he eats and drinks so fast. When he's done and we go outside he let's out the loudest burps. He'll also drink so much water that you can hear it sloshing around as he runs. I am seriously afraid that he could end up with bloat. What can I do to slow him down?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:hiya: Don't worry! We've ALL been new too! My Jake is the same way. After he gagged a couple times, I ordered a slow feed ball from amazon. There are also bowls that partition off the food so they have to slow down. The ball has helped immensely and you are very right to be concerned. Bloat is a real hazard. By the way..welcome..glad to have you..and we love..love puppies and pictures. Well..we love ALL Bully's! :D

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...hat-signs-to-look-for-in-your-English-Bulldog
here is a link to an article here on the slow feed bowls!

Last edited:

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Hi and welcome to the club! I am a new bully mama too and this forum has really be helpful. My puppy too was a little piggy at feeding time and the feeding ball has been wonderful! He actually eats less now that he has to take his time eating he realizes sooner that he is full. I have to remove the ball as he get to the bottom cause his little snoot can't fit :) I used a small bowl inverted in his dish until I was able to get the ball. Hope my info is helpful. Enjoy your new baby!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Great advise above, plus are you feeding him 3 times a day? I would until about 4 or 5 months old then 2 times a day. The slow feed bowls help, plus I would not let him play much right after he eats.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Don't let him play until 30-45 minutes after the meal. Apart from this I don't have much advice since it is also one of my big fears!!

C

Cooper11

@Davidh & [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] So guess really never had a fear of bloat :confused:.....hmmm Cooper does inhale his food when I feed him. He gets fed twice a day and you basically have to hold him back to put the food in the dish (he has always been like this). He is about 7 months now......If he isn't throwing up or gagging or anything like that should I just keep him the way I am. Or do you think I should get the slow feed thing. I normally don't limit his play after he eat either but i don't think he really runs or plays around right after. I will keep closer eye on that. When he was a baby he would eat and his tummy would get so big and hard but he grew out of that.

OP
jen74401

jen74401

Feb 18, 2012
Oklahoma
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Beefy
Thank you so much for the replies. Yes, Beefy gets fed 3 times a day, but he's quite the porker. I'm going to check in to getting a feeding ball and give it a try. When he gets done eating he kinda reminds me of the stay puff marshmallow man, then he burps and shrinks.

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Welcome to you both. Raven is a beast when I put down her food. I just ordered three of the balls for her bowls, in the interim, I stuck her heavy rubber ball in there. It has definitely slowed her down. Good luck. I totally understand your fear. Raven looks like the stay puff marshmallow man when she is done eating and drinking. The ball use is definitely helping.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] you can try putting a ball about 3" big in his bowl to see if that helps.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Just wanted to welcome you to EBN. :hiya: I also have a 12 week old, Emma. Due to work I had to start feeding her twice a day. I had to do the same with my 1 year old. Can't say that I ever thought about Bloat though. Emma's a fast eater too, as was Wilson. He a slow eater now. You have some great advice above. :up:

Oh, we don't go easy on anyone. :p.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Just wanted to welcome you to EBN. :hiya: I also have a 12 week old, Emma. Due to work I had to start feeding her twice a day. I had to do the same with my 1 year old. Can't say that I ever thought about Bloat though. Emma's a fast eater too, as was Wilson. He a slow eater now. You have some great advice above. :up:

Oh, we don't go easy on anyone. :p.

:shhhh: we haven't reeled her in yet!! :evil:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.