Finally got Kain to sleep on his bed by the fireplace (2nd time) but I have to lay with him

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
Almost 2 full weeks with the puppy now, the first week we followed the extra love and attention as he settles in and during that week he only plays on his bed, chews his bones etc but never slept on it once.

This is the 2nd time i've gotten him to sleep on the bed but I litterly have to lay beside it with him in order to get him to sleep there. If he falls asleep in my arms on the couch and then I put him down he is immediatly awake and won't continue to sleep.

Any tricks to convert him to the bed instead of our arms on the couch?

We are working on "Off" so we invite him up on our terms and not on his as I really don't want him up on the furniture when he is older.

Thoughts or suggestions are welcome. I'm clicker training as well so I'm thinking a click and treat to the bed, but how do I convince him to go to sleep there? <lol>

Lastly, at night we kennel him in a pen and have no trouble getting him to sleep there at night.

Thanks in advance!
Vince

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
I noticed everyone likes photos so thought I would include a few as well :)
IMG_6595 (1).jpgIMG_6592 (1).jpg

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
He is such a beautiful bully. I don't have any specific answers for you. Mine love to lay on the furniture, but they will go to the beds on the floor every once in a while.

My suggestion is for you to have a bed in the kennel, that way at night he comprehends the bed for sleeping. Maybe even having the same bed outside. We even have one kennel in our family room, that way they can go lay inside if they choose, funny thing is they all fight for it.

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
Elli use to only want to sleep on the couch with me and the bed was a no go but really I just refused to let her on the couch and taught her "bed" as a command so she would get a treat for getting into bed. She finally realized if she wanted a comfy place for sleeping... Only choice is her bed!

These are fuzzy but this was when she was 13 weeks sleeping without me

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329961630.159791.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329961630.159791.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 118
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329961680.254349.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329961680.254349.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 119

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sorry -- no advice, as I allow my bullies to be anywhere on anything (except the guest room) in our house and they sleep with us. Bullies love to be with their humans... the close the happier they are.

Kain is adorable

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I think I'LL take the bed by the fireplace. Looks cozy...LOL

If Kain isn't a big chewer maybe you could get him a stuffy to sleep with? Might help him to feel like there is someone with him?

Corlando465

Feb 16, 2012
Lexington, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
As already mentioned, they just want to be with their peeps whenever possible. My new puppy is the same way. He loves to play on his bed, but if I'm on the couch then that is his favorite spot. He will even sit and whine in the mornings wanting me to sit and cuddle with him, when I am trying to get ready for work. It is pitiful, 'cause I'd love nothing more! Enjoy your new baby. He's a cutie!

OP
Vince00

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
So pleased with him, great training session tonight! Got a 10 sec stay, down from a sit and leave it (first time tonight)... For a dog so focused on treats it was awesome to see his sad face waiting for 10 secs looking at the clicker waiting with a treat in my hand visible to him.

Now it's time to polish them but he is already doing sit, stay, leave it, down, touch, and spin. Unreal in a couple of weeks.

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4305]Vince00[/MENTION] Can I send Cooper over for a few weeks. When he learns all yours has learned you can ship him back!! :D
Very Good Looking Bully you got there!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.