Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
So since it has been unusually warm in Boston (feels like April! 45-55 degrees! :D) we have noticed a few ants, and well Gio can't get enough of them! He has eaten almost all the ones he sees! It's actually kinda funny but does anyone else's Bullies do this? At this rate we won't need ant traps! I have looked it up and from what I have read its not bad for them, I guess it's his form of hunting!?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
YUM.... protein :D

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Can't say I've ever seen mine do that. Guess they taste good to him. Just as long as he doesn't want the chocolate coated ones. :tease:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Take him around to the neighbors houses and charge $$$ for his pest removal services! LOL That sounds seriously cute though. Maybe you should try to capture a photo of his ant hunting?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Oh yea, I've had a dog do this long time ago. Ants are ok to eat actually. Well, except for fire ants and the like as they can be painful if he gets bit. My only concern is if he gets used to attacking ant hills, goes to somebody else's yard who puts chemicals on their ant hills to kill the ants and your dog forages on the poisoned ants hills.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
No I have never heard of dogs liking to eat ants. My cats like to chase moths or flies but they are lousy at catching them so they are no help to me. I guess with those wide bulldog tongues, there's no chance of his missing his little targets. Wish my dogs ate ants. Consider yourself lucky! :up: As long as the ants he is eating are already indoors.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Last year Orion caught 2 field ants. Those suckers bite. The first time she got one, I had no idea what it was because the head had separated from the thorax. I thought it was a tick..only to find out we don't live in the right conditions for it to be a tick. A few days later she comes running in, this time the ant (again) was attached to the inside of her upper lip...but it was still attached. She was finding field ants out by the railroad ties...and trying to eat them. They had their own opinions of what was going down. We have nicknamed Orion....sissybug. She has had multiple tree frogs, ants, moths, flies, grasshoppers, 1 bee, a worm and who knows what else in her mouth!

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Yup! In the summer, when we're hanging out on the back porch, they spend their whole time chasing ants. It's funny to watch b/c when the ants crawl down through the space in the boards, bruin and lilly have that 'wtf!?, where did it go?' look. I'm in Worcester and we don't have any ants yet...hmm? Must be warmer over there :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.