Screw tail troubles

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
My almost 4 year old boy has yeast in his tail. It seems like no matter what I do for it, it's very itchy under his tail. Now he's getting an abscess in one of his creases, he hasn't had one of those since we started using TRIZ EDTA w/ CLOTRIMAZOLE. All suggestions welcome!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
I can give you advice on how I maintain my Samson's tail but not what to do in that situation because luckily for me my routine obviously works because we've never had any issues with it. My Samson has the inverted/screw tail, it was discovered by our vet when he was about 8 months old (he's almost 6 yrs old now). I had taken him in because he kept scooting his booty on the carpet and an anal gland expression hadn't helped. They told me to clean it with the fort dodge waterless shampoo and follow it with mal-a-ket wipes (both can be given by your vet or you can get them on amazon). They said if it ever got infected they could possibly have to amputate it but like I said, never had any issues. I just use those products to clean it several times a week. My vet also prescribed neo predef powder for his irritated facial wrinkles and said it works great for tail pockets too. I haven't tried it on his tail but it does work wonders for those facial wrinkles so it may be worth a try as well. The neo-predef powder has to be prescribed by a vet but once you get the prescriptions I suggest getting your refills from somewhere else, for instance I get my refill from Dr Fosters & Smith and its WAY cheaper than what they charge at the vet. Hope that helps! Good luck!

Last edited:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Make sure you cut potatoes out of his diet... banks has constant yeast issues and since I cut out potato they have lessened. Her tail is always a battle... we use Tresaderm twice a day to keep it clear.

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] Are some of the tail pockets worse than others. My Cooper has the weird looking tail:tease: or whatever you call it, so does that mean he doesn't have a tail pocket right? The reason I ask if some are worse and by worse I mean bigger pocket, is because Gracie has the tail pocket and I have informed my mom to check it and make sure it is clean, but it really isn't that big of a pocket and she hasn't had to clean it or anything yet. Doesn't seem to be a problem yet and hopefully never!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama @TessaAndSamson Are some of the tail pockets worse than others. My Cooper has the weird looking tail:tease: or whatever you call it, so does that mean he doesn't have a tail pocket right? The reason I ask if some are worse and by worse I mean bigger pocket, is because Gracie has the tail pocket and I have informed my mom to check it and make sure it is clean, but it really isn't that big of a pocket and she hasn't had to clean it or anything yet. Doesn't seem to be a problem yet and hopefully never!

Definitely... they are all different. Banks has a very tight tail pocket and yeast issues on top of it. Nitschke did not have a pocket at all... best thing to do is clean it everyday with unscented baby wipes

C

Cooper11

[MENTION=4263]rainyruth[/MENTION] Vinegar does work we have tried that and it works good! Also the magic stuff that some one suggested on here and I bought worked so quick. I got it on Amazon....MalAcetic Ulta...make sure you dry good afterwards can use gold bond powder or even baby powder.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.