Salmonella

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Since we had Tess about month ago she's had a diarrhea issue and we tried everything and I mean everything. Thanks to Bella'sMom she has even held my hand through everything. My vet talk to the store owner who we got Tess from just so happens that 2 other dogs in the same liter have the same symptoms. The other 2 dog went to Florida so there Vet did a culture and out they had salmonella. So my family and I are hoping our Tess girl is moving on the right track of good health and nothing serious. So when I add to my family be asking all of you for advise :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Dogs are usually very tolerant of mega bacterial load. So salmonella and such don't affect them like it does humans. But, if your dog already has a compromised immune system then salmonella can be a problem. What I'm trying to say is... If your dog is sick because of the salmonella, that's not the only problem. You may have bigger problems.

Man, I sound like such a wet blanket! Hope your baby gets better soon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry no advice, but wishing your baby gets well soon

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
My husband and I really think we need a second opinion. We think theirs more going on with her then just Salmonella.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yes definatley a second opinion! There is much more to this and te quicker you find out the better off! What are you feeding her in the meantime? [MENTION=4257]Sybil76[/MENTION]

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Have you done a food trial on her? I'm thinking maybe her tummy's not agreeing with the Blue Wilderness.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@savemejeebus we have not done done a food trial on her. How do we do that??? Im such newbie :)

Blue Wilderness is pretty good food... but a month of diarrhea on it is not good. Do you notice if she's scratching a lot, red/pink face, etc.? This diarrhea could be an allergy. But, man, this would be where a good vet could really help.

If you want to try a food switch just to eliminate the possibility of it being the food, you just go and find another good food (there's been a lot of members here lately that are trying out the Earthborne Holistic Grain-Free brand as it is cheaper than the other highly rated food including Blue Wilderness) and slowly switch her over. I'd go for a 3 week transition - week 1 - replace 1/4 of the Blue Wilderness with the new food. If there are no issues then week 2 - replace 1/2 of the Blue Wilderness with the new food. If there are no issues move on to week 3 - replace 3/4 of BW with the new food until finally you only serve the new food on week 4. Of course, if the problem persists or becomes worse past the 3rd week, you're going to have to make a decision whether to stay with the old food or continue looking for another new food to try. It can be really tedious especially if in the end, you find that the problem is really not the food.

Okay, sorry, I just don't have much good news here. Grrrr. How about if we get a picture of sweet Tess, then we can ooooh and aaaaahh and have reason to feel loads better?

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
When we first gotten Tess she was on Nutro Ultra from the pet store that's when diarrhea begin then the Vet had us switch to IVet still diarrhea...poor girl then we tried Wellness for puppy still diarrhea but really bad it caused dehydration. So this we week we decided on Blue Buffalo for puppy and crossing the fingers. So far no diarrhea but she does poop a lot.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.045467,-95.684551

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online