Weird Bully!?

C

Cooper11

Okay so am asking this question for my mom :ashamed:...she has been telling me Miss Gracie has been doing this funny thing and last night my step dad was home with Gracie and informed my mom when she got home, her weird dog was doing that thing again. All they can do is laugh :lmao:....ok so she will rub her butt on the ground and pull herself or scoost her self around and has her head cocked back in the air sniffy back and forth and I guess it is pretty funny to watch. I told my mom she needs to get her on video. Any clue why she is doing this???? Any other doing this???

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It sounds like it might be her anal glands...but am not sure since we have never had a problem with any of our dogs glands needing to be expressed.

OP
C

Cooper11

:barf: I use to have to do my shih tzu anal gland. I know some say when you start messing with it you have to do it all the time. I never had my shih tzu done (i cut his hair myself so no groomer) and when he was like 10 years old he kept rubbing his butt and acting like he was in pain. Took him to the vet and his anal gland was filled and 3x bigger than it should be cuz it was so full. GROSS!! So then I started doing it when I gave him a haircut. You think it is anal gland huh? you don't think she is too young for that yet??? Do you think she smells it and that is why she is sniffing? She gets fixed tomorrow so I will tell my mom to have them check it!

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
I am not completely sure....but it kinda sounds like it. Others might have more experience. I am lucky and none of our dogs have ever needed anal glad maintenance.

TwoBullies

Jan 16, 2012
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia & Jake
I would have to agree with [MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] on this. Our 1 year old EB started doing that a few days ago so we took her to the vet. Her anal glands (sacs) needed to be excreted. Once the vet took care of the issue, (and it was a fowl smell) she stopped scooting.

Some dogs are able to excrete them on their own by pooping or rubbing their bottom on the carpet. Other dogs will need "help". You don't want to wait too long because they can get infected.

Hope this helps!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sounds like anal glands. When the poo is too loose the anal glands don't usually empty. When it's firm the dog needs to push a bit harder and the glands empty at the same time. Also check her tail, if she has a tail pocket that need to be cleaned.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It does sound like anal glands, but since it is a puppy and has not had all her shots yet ... I'd have her poo tested for worms.

OP
C

Cooper11

She is almost 7 month so I think she has had all her shots??? We have had her poo checked for worms probably like a month or so ago. But she just really started having solid poops, so maybe the runs are what caused it. I will have the vet check it tomorrow! Thank YOU!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
She is almost 7 month so I think she has had all her shots??? We have had her poo checked for worms probably like a month or so ago. But she just really started having solid poops, so maybe the runs are what caused it. I will have the vet check it tomorrow! Thank YOU!!!

Yeah.. her shots are done. Let us know what the vet says tomorrow

OP
C

Cooper11

[MENTION=1462]Biogirl71[/MENTION] [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] [MENTION=4080]TwoBullies[/MENTION] [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] Yep Both anal glands were full!!! Thank You Guys!!! I guess we will see if they fill right back up again and if they do I am going to have to figure it out. They were so much easier to find on my shih tzu and I tried feeling for them on her last night but couldn't find them to squeeze! I know gross right. Gracie is my moms baby!!!! She even looked it up last night on the internet and tried to do it, but she has never done it before and she couldn't find them either! Now onto recovery of her surgery...I made a thread if you guys could read it..I have a few concerns! Again Thank You Love this site!!:dancing:

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
Glad you caught it!

Pay close attention to that tail pocket, because it is so easy for that to get yucky and itchy, and uncomfortable for them.

OP
C

Cooper11

Glad you caught it!

Pay close attention to that tail pocket, because it is so easy for that to get yucky and itchy, and uncomfortable for them.
Yeah my mom is always checking it daily. It is only the depth of almost a finger tip...not sure if that is a normal size or is smaller.
My Coop has the longer tail or whatever you call it.....is there anything I need to check for his. I noticed that there is a big gap underneath where I could see it getting dirty and gross. Cooper and Gracie are our first bullies and I can't see how we never got one sooner! They are our lives. Cooper is my Big 40 lbs and growing baby and he is such a lover. Gracie is very High maintenance and she acts like she is the boss of the house! Gotta love Bullies!!!:luv: I already want another!!! I have 2 dogs and with 2 dogs = lots of :poo: to clean up...3 dogs I am sure my yard would be one big terd:poo:! :D My hubby already thinks Cooper is too spoiled by me and I treat him too much like a baby so I'm sure he wouldn't be on board for another bully.....well just yet! :crazy:

Blitzburggirl

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Paisley
LMAO It does seem it would be way too easy to have lots of these guys :)

I'm really not sure what normal depth is. Paisley has no tail (or, as we say when she can't hear us... negative tail!!)

She came to us at 2, and the vet said that it's likely, she'd had an infection from whatever "style" she had, and had to have surgery :(

Thank you for the bulldog kisses to Paisley from Cooper, she'll be thrilled to know she still has "swag."

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.