wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
So every year by fiance's family goes up to their condo in the middle of a mountain in New Hampshire for 4th of July week. Last year I didn't go due to me having to much grad school work to do, but I am going to make the trek up there again. It's a nice condo and usually ends up with 20 people and is a good time, swimming @ the pool, drinking, playin cards, playing guitar, reading etc....My fiance's family is NOT a dog friendly family. None of them ever had dogs and think they are dirty and make messes and cost too much money. It took a messload of convincing of my fiance for us to get Guinness. Anyways, my fiance spoke with her mother today and she is allowing Guinness to go up with us!! Here's the catch, my fiance has many smaller niece and nephews. NONE of them are scaredof guinness even the 1 year old, EXCEPT one of them. She is three and absolutely petrified of Guinness, i dont know why he walks up to them and instantly lays down in front of them completely submissive. She is a whiney baby anyways and if she is awake I have to keep Guinness in his crate so he doesn't scare her. I mean really, look @ him he wouldn't scare anyone. This upsets me because he will practically be in his crate ALL day long. He is in his crate while we are at work and sleeping so totaling 16 hours a day now, so I guess it wont be much of a difference. I just feel bad for him as he is on vacation and should be out of his crate with the rest of us. I told her mother that if Guinness has to be in his crate for a majority of the day then the three year old also needs to spend time in the crate as this is only fair.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
The better course of action would be to work with the niece and Guinness together to help her overcome her fear.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
[MENTION=983]LariP[/MENTION] I have and will continue to try in hopes she will snap out of it. it just aggrevates me that's all. I could understand if he was a mean dog, or barked, or jumped or did anything but waddle over to you, sit and slobber

Autzz

Dec 29, 2011
Manchester NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Elli
A little girl I use to look after since she was born was petrified of anything that moves... Squirrels, fish, anything! We had to ease her in with fish and then they started with bigger animals. For dogs we had to be on the other side of a fence or some kind of barrier and show her that other kids were fine. And then the same area, and then had her pet it. And then give a treat and show tricks and stuff. It was a long process of 7 years... They finally got a dog and the mother was allergic so it went to my sister... :)
But it's going to take time and it really can't be explained sometimes. I do agree and understand your frustration and that the child should be kept inside or something when the dog is out and exercising since the child shouldn't be catered to...

Good luck :)

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My bf's niece (sister's kid) is like that. What I noticed is that his sister is also protective too of her daughter so that may be another obstacle you need to face. With his family, Stig and Punkin are always the 'disposable' ones so for me, staying away from them is always the game plan.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i would go on the trip and make best of it. i would not however keep my pet locked inside a crate for all day. there must be some way to keep the dog and kid apart so that both can enjoy the vacation. that would be my stipulation that some way is found for all to have a good time. otherwise im not sure i would go knowing my dog will be crated for most of it. tough one

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My only solution is bring a baby gate. That way you can have Guiness in a room and the neice in a different room at times. And like the [MENTION=3960]Autzz[/MENTION] said might help in showing her that he is just fine. How frustrating. ugh... I agree I would want him to enjoy the vacation also. Maybe even a play pen gated area where you can move it outside with you or inside wherever you might be. Could set it up and he would still be able to play and also be right near you?

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Bringing a baby gate is a great idea. Even the x-pen if you have one.

And it's so great of your gf's mom to be so open minded. :)

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
we are going to bring a babygate so that will hopefully help some. She has been around Guinness before @ our house many times but she is just scared of him. IT's so weird because she goes fishing on her dad's boat and handles all the fish, baby sharks, starfish, baby octopus, you name it. Her parents aren't protective of her in a way which would reinforce her being scared of the dog, even they tell her not to be scared of him. Hopefully she will be 8 months older and a little less afraid and it goes well. I am just happy we can bring him with us, because I would miss him terribly for a week. when it all came down to it i probably would come home early because i would miss him.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Maybe a big soft cuddly bully stuffy/doll should be sent to her as a present... make it a real soft one that she will 'adopt' and cuddle with. It might help but tell her parents why you are giving it to her. Worth a try. :)

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Could you just have him on a leash with you the whole time? Baby gate is also a great idea! But hopefully the 3 year old will have a couple of naps threw out the day so Guinness can run around!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
the play pin is a great idea, I think, plus like you said the kid will be older so maybe that will help.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.