New Puppy coming soon!

stoonley

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
There are a bunch of thread's of new puppies, and I was close to just asking my questions in those threads but I didn't want to clutter someone else's source of information with my own questions. So I figured I'd use this for 1) an introduction of myself to you experienced bulldog owners, and 2) to pick your brains on some questions I have.

I just put down a deposit on a 5 week old puppy from a breeder, (am I allowed to list there website? They have a couple puppies left for sale). I will be picking him up on or around March 15th. I have contacted ALL of the breeders listed within a 300 mile radius of myself that were listed in the AKC breeder classifieds. Lo and behold I came across a breeder who wasn't listed, but I checked AKC website and there male and females are registered. This breeder talked to me the most, sent pictures, videos, and generally just made me feel comfortable about my purchase and quality of the dog. I mean who wants to spend $2000 without really knowing what there getting!? Surprisingly, some breeders in the VA area that have puppies available weren't as willing to talk and answer my MANY questions, they were just short an brief, which I do not like when talking about a puppy I'm trying to buy, especially being a first time dog and bulldog owner!

So my questions: I have researched crate training to the max! My only question regarding crate training is, my room is upstairs. I would LOVE for my puppy's crate to be in my room, just so I can be with/close to him! My only concern is, when I take him out to go potty or :poo:. I've read they need to be close to the door to get outside quickly and avoid accidents. I would have to pick him up and then walk down stairs to get outside, is this really a problem or am I thinking to much into it?

Another concern I have is socializing my puppy. For the first month and a half, he won't have access to many dog's or a dog park. It is my understanding that between 8-12 weeks the puppy needs to be socialized with 1000's of different people and animals. 1000's of people is no big deal. I'm finishing out college, and taking him on campus everyone would come up and greet him, he would have no problems meeting a bunch of different people. I do go to a small school however, and only know a few people with a dog. One of which his main future playmate, is kind of a rowdy, out of balance and lacks discipline australian cattle/blue heeler, little obnoxious dog. Do I want my puppy to learn behaviors and socialize with those kind of dogs? When I move back home, I'll have access to dog parks etc.. but that wont be for a full month and a half after I pick the pup up.

My thoughts on neutering are this: (and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). I am planning a neuter @ 6 months of age. I have read this could be bad for bulldogs (not quite sure why). I feel like neutering before he hits 8 months (when a dog starts maturing hormones) he won't ever have that mental "image" in his head that he needs to mate. So by breeding at 6 months he eliminates from his nature the need to mate. I feel like after 8 months he will already have experienced it and that would be a little unfair to me, at least!

My main focus on a puppy is giving him lot's of lovies, socializing him properly to where he is calm, confident, and curious about ALL situations, discipline, rules and boundaries, and teaching him to skateboard! :)

If there are ANY words of advice I would love to hear it!

Thank you, oh and also a couple pictures, everyone seems to love pictures !
At 4 weeks of age:
eb1.jpgeb2.jpg

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Number one, congrats! How exciting!

Glad you asked a ton of questions, a good breeder will be more than happy to address all your questions and concerns.

Picking him up and walking him downstairs should be fine, can't see why it wouldn't be.

You really shouldn't be taking him out in public much until he has had all his shots, I believe the last set of shots is due around 4 months. After that doggy daycare, obedience/training classes, puppy play dates, are all great places for your bully to meet new people and pups.

From my own experiences I think its important to neuter young, I would never again wait until 6 months.

If you have any more questions always feel free to post them and again, CONGRATS!!!

OP
S

stoonley

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
What age would you consider ideal for neutering?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
What age would you consider ideal for neutering?

I would say 5-6 months. EVERYONE has their own beliefs on neutering, this is just my opinion, I am not one of those that believes it stunts their growth if its done before a certain age or anything like that. I think its better to just get it over with before any behaviorial problems develop.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Congrats to you! You sound very prepared...and like you did your homework! A couple things..nope..not allowed to give websites or links to breeders. You can communicate through private messages if you see someone looking that you might be able to help. Crate training is the only way to go and you will be carrying him at first anyway..they just sometimes need to get there quickly! As far as neutering goes..I waited until 11 months. My Jake was a good boy and honestly I just felt comfortable waiting. Bully's mature differently than other breeds and you will gets lots of different opinions. We have a bully that was neutered at 4 months here and it didn't slow his growth at all! Good luck and so glad you've found us! Remember...we love pictures! :up:

C

Cooper11

I got Coop fixed at 5 months. I think you have to at least wait until his little guys (balls) drop. I have also heard they should have their baby teeth gone too!
As for as crating and potty training. I would recommend having him by the exit he will have to use to go outside, that way he becomes familiar with it and will learn to go to the door when he has to potty. When you first get him you will be carrying him outside quite a bit so the fact of having the crate in your room isn't an issue because he won't be able to tell you he has to go potty you will just have to take him out every hour or 2. I had good luck with my bullies, every timeGood lu I took them out and put them in the grass they would go potty right away. GOOD LUCK:D

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
You've already gotten great answers to your questions, all I can add is congratulations on your puppy. He sounds like he has a good parent already:D

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Regarding neutering, you can ask 10 people and may get 10 different answers..
¿Have you selected a specific Vet that he will be going to ? If so, ask that particular what he recommends. He will be seeing your pup regularly so why not start off on the right foot with him..? (left foot if your left handed like me)

Regarding Potty training: Why not have a square piece of sod on a tray or some sort of bin. As soon as you notice your pup needs to Potty, you take him outside your dorm door where you would keep that sob and he can start to associate potty with grass....
This way you don't have to hurry and run down steps to make it to the grass outside...and possibly trip and injure the pup..... You were not concerned about .... JK .!
Just a thought. Maybe instead of grass, use newspapers.

On a lighter side: What has me concerned is your screen name and the fact that you are a college student living in a dorm... "Stoonley" is too close to "Stoney" :ROFL:
I can just picture your Pup in a few months..!rasta.jpg

@TessaAndSamson may have a much better picture .! :ROFL:

Last edited:
OP
S

stoonley

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
Lol Jack Daniels, that's pretty awesome and I love the rasta culture for sure! My nickname though came from my last name I'm guessing in highschool, which is Stanley so people started calling me stoonley....not really sure why but it stuck. I'm in the national guard as well, so I'm not saying I'm against that at all, I just don't do it myself. Also, I live in a two story house, I moved out of the dorms about two years ago. Not really allowed to have dogs in the dorms at our school, even though a couple people do. I'll be graduating next December as well so I won't be living here for too much longer. But yeah, the little guy has a house, and a fenced in backyard. So I hope he enjoy's it! Even though it's not the nicest house on the block, I hope he doesn't judge me!

Vince00

Community Veteran
Feb 14, 2012
Estevan, Sask
Bulldog(s) Names
Kain
First time bully owner myself hes only 11 1/2 weeks old. I'm going through the motions myself and so far would not change a thing I did as it's working like a dream.

I found the term "Clicker Training" so I looked it up, bought a clicker and have been working hard at training him and wow i'm impressed.
Only been working on it a week and I've succeeded in potty schedule (shown below), Sit, Hi-Five, Spin, and Touch including jumping up to hit the target stick.

More experienced owners can correct me if i'm wrong but this is what I started with while reading through Ceaser Malons book "The perfect Pet".

- I went with a pen downstairs similar to what was being used at the breeder, sleeps all night with no accidents and no crying or nothing i'm blessed I think :)
- Rigourous schedule that is paying off ten fold so far :
7am - I wake him up and take outside for a pee
7:15ish - time for breakfast and then backoutside for a poop within 3-5 min's after eating
8:20 - In the Pen as we are off to work
11am - Daughter is home from school so takes for a pee
12am - We are home for lunch so we give him dinner and rinse / repeat the bathroom schedule again
1pm - In the Kennel as were back to work and school
3:30pm - Daughter is home from school again so another pee break
5:30pm - We are home from work so feed him and repeat bathroom schedule for a poop after feeding
-- Playing / Clicker training etc
-- Walk around the block etc, still working on leash walking and getting comfortable outside
7pm he's usually crashed from the hrs playing / walking
9:30pm or so, back to the pen for the night and repeat next day.

Loving my bulldog so far, I hope I don't have any major health issues with him as I'm really going to attach myself to him like no other dog i've had in the past.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
As far as crate training goes, I personally wouldn't keep the crate in your room in the beginning. This is because, while some of their crying is because they need to potty, MOST of their crying is because of separation anxiety and wanting you to come and keep them company. So instead of you checking the crate every 3 hrs to let him out, you'll be checking on them every 45 mins because the crying will be too much to ignore when it's in the same room. Crate training is sometimes difficult and sometimes you just gotta let them cry it out (if you know it's not potty related). Once he sleeps well in the crate then absolutely bring it into your bedroom.

Ps. Welcome!!

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
On a lighter side: What has me concerned is your screen name and the fact that you are a college student living in a dorm... "Stoonley" is too close to "Stoney" :ROFL:
I can just picture your Pup in a few months..!View attachment 17531

TessaAndSamson may have a much better picture .! :ROFL:

OMG I love it!!! I don't know how I have never seen this Zelda picture before! You made my day :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
First, what a darling puppy! You have received some good advice on scheduling and training. If you are a light sleeper I wouldn't let him sleep in your room. Baby Bullys don't snore much, but as they age the volume increases! We have had 6 male Bulldogs over a 30 year span and have found that neutering them at 5 to 6 mos. is easier on the dog than waiting until they are older. It doesn't make any difference if they squat or raise their leg either, and their bark still has a low tone!

OP
S

stoonley

Feb 21, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
N/A
What size crate in dimensions is big enough to buy?

Most Reactions