Naughty when being brushed!

C

Cooper11

Sorry everyone I am just full of questions being a new bully mommy I want to make sure I am doing everything right :tongue:..I bought the furminator brush to brush the puppies with and I also use the rubber glove thing....Cooper hates to be brush with either of them. He tries biting the brush and when I use the glove is trying to get away from me the whole time...Any suggestions. I try to do both glove and brush everyday (or is that too much)? He wasn't a huge shedder but he just recently got fixed and he stayed over night when that was done and when he came back it was like his fur was just falling out! You couldn't pet him without having hair all over. He has slowed down on the shedding now, I didn't know if it was because he got fixed or if it was losing baby hair. Any recommendations on how to make brushing not so much a chore or any good tools that you all have found that work good and slow down the shedding?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Anesthesia will cause them to loose their hair for awhile. This too shall pass. I feed mine salmon oil in their food and they dont shed much. I just use the rubber brush on mine maybe once or twice a week.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
They will also lose hair when stressed or excited. Relax, it will all be fine. If you can relax and be confident, your pup will pick up on this too. He will feel more comfortable. Exhale sweetie :whew:

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
I brush penny in the bath tub. This helps with keeping her from running away & she knows I'm going to be touching/messing with her anyway. It has helped a ton!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Once or twice a week is fine... I usually only do it in the summer/fall which is when my guys seem to shed the most

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I brush penny in the bath tub. This helps with keeping her from running away & she knows I'm going to be touching/messing with her anyway. It has helped a ton!

Thats a great idea!

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
Just keep working him and he will get the hang of it. Tell him no when he starts trying to bite it

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
In the beginning I used treats when I brushed. Treat and stroke, treat and stroke, now he loves to be brushed.

OP
C

Cooper11

Anesthesia will cause them to loose their hair for awhile. This too shall pass. I feed mine salmon oil in their food and they dont shed much. I just use the rubber brush on mine maybe once or twice a week.
I have heard a lot of people talking about the salmon oil....where do you get it and how much do you give your bully? Also I have heard of giving the yogurt (dunno if that was for shedding or what) but does it matter what kind of yogurt?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I give these guys PLAIN yogurt. I'm not sure why I do it - but they love it. Little scoop - 1/8 to 1/4 cup blopped on top of dinner.

Probiotics? Yeah...I think that's why.....

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
[MENTION=4292]Cooper11[/MENTION] Grizzly Salmon oil I get from Carolina pet pantry and the yogurt I use for the probiotics.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
HRH tries to eat her brushes too, but it's a game, she loves being brushed but will try to chew the brush until I give her another chew bone instead to chew on.

OP
C

Cooper11

HRH tries to eat her brushes too, but it's a game, she loves being brushed but will try to chew the brush until I give her another chew bone instead to chew on.
Didn't even think to give him something to chew on while I was brushing him :eek: I am sure that will help!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Raven hates any kind of brushes. I recently saw a rubber curry brush and decided to try that. You can use it in the bath or dry. Tried it dry yesterday and she luvvved it, couldn't get enought of it. When I went to put it away she gave me the stink eye.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.