Anxiety

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
I have notice since have had Tess if we keep her in her crate long period of time like around 4 hours she has diarrahra issue and cries the all time. The problem is we work during the day so she is in there a max of 4 hours before someone gets to let her out to go potty. Im just not ready for her to roam the house yet we still have some potty training to do Has anyone else had this issue with anxiety.

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
Unfortunately I don't have any tips but I feel your pain, we have a similar problem. I just make sure never to leave him more than 4 hours. Here's hoping they grow out of it :)

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Instead of a crate would you try a play pen? It is bigger and maybe your dog won't feel as restrained? That's what we did with Brooklyn - he has so much room to move around, it's more open... He has water, bankers, toys! You can make the pen as big or small as you want!!!!

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
Playpen sounds like a good idea. ;). Thanks

FatLouis

Feb 17, 2012
London
Bulldog(s) Names
Louis
Well as you may be aware Bulldogs are very sociable dogs and it's completely understandable that she wouldn't like spending 4 hours in a crate, as they hate being left alone. Bulldogs aren't just like any other dog an are a very big commitment. I really suggest you get a book on bulldogs, I have found them so so helpful. Good luck!

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
[MENTION=4334]FatLouis[/MENTION].. I totally agree. I notice her behavior change as soon as she out of that crate. To be honest I never used a crate on any of my other dogs I had before I got my yorkie and now Tess!

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
@sybil76 , I think the playpen is a great idea!!! Take Tess out to potty before you leave the house. What I did with Mocha is we would leave her in the kitchen area with babygates on the doors. She had her crate in there if she wanted to sleep and she had water and toys and space to walk around, but in a contained area. She had a few accidents at the begining, but she got better. Now that she is 2 she stays in the livingroom and she is a very good girl!!! Good luck!!

Georgiasmom

Feb 3, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
I bought a indoor/outdoor playpen for Georgia. I only put her in it when I feed her, and when I am not home. I keep a puppy pad in there in case of accidents and a bed for her the only thing is she always poops and pees on the puppy pad. The only issue I am having is her eating her poop. Someone recommended Forbid so I am going to get it from the vet and see if I can stop this. She is only in a crate at night with a towel. She pees and poops on. So normally its bath time before breakfast is served. I even get up every two hours at night and take her out. It never fells. I also feed her dinner early to hope to avoid it. I am running out of ideas. I have a six year old boston and he was not this hard to train.

C

Cooper11

I feel ya! Cooper did that a few times and it was just the pooping but the after pooping affect. He would just go to town and it would be all over the crate!! My brussles griffen did this too and finally I realized it was better just to not crate him and he did good (but he is not a bully) I think if I would leave Cooper out I would come home to a house is chaos!! Cooper is better now but I really don't have to leave him in his crate much because I am a stay at home mommy (for my skinkids and my furry kids :)....Having an EB is really like your child and they act like it too. I have never owned a dog that actually seems like he has feeling and when he is told he is naughty for something:nonono: he does the pout face and then makes me feel bad because I hurt his feelings:nope: I would say try the playpen too! I almost considered it but now Coop does pretty good in the kennel! Good Luck!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
The dog should LOVE his/her crate and if they're anxious while in there, that's not going to help them in the long run. I love the play pen idea. (I did something similar here in the kitchen/dining room) How about adding a frozen peanut butter stuffed kong when she must be kenneled for an extended period of time?

Also: I'd suggest putting him/her in there and waiting until she relaxes. Never close the kennel door on an anxious dog.

Good luck!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online