Seizure Test Help!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
If anyone out there has any info on what types of tests would be run for seizures? I kinda know the basics of grand-mal, petit-mal and focal(I think) .... I think they are petit-mal but no foaming mouth ??? I'm still a little confused so any information would really be helpful! Thanks again

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.659048,-74.233494

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Yes ... although Maggie has some neurological problems that they just can't work out it apparently is not epilepsy ...however we have the guru on this forum when it comes to seizures ... [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Are you talking tests that Dr's can do? Because they basically do tests to rule out what it's not. So, if they do metabolic tests and it comes back good, he's not having seizures because of diabetes. If they do a skeletal test and it turns out okay..the seizures are not from pain. It they do an MRI and spinal tap and they come back in, then it's not because of a brain tumor. Epilepsy is the diagnosis given...and a small percentage of k9s have seizures for no know reason. Epilepsy is the diagnosis given when nothing else fits the bill.
Or, are you asking how to determine which type of seizure you are dealing with?

I guess grand mal and petit mal are considered outdated terms. Now they organize different types of seizure according to whether the source of the seizure within the brain is localized (partial or focal onset seizures) or distributed (generalized seizures). Partial seizures are also further divided on the extent to which consciousness is affected (simple partial seizures and complex partial seizures). If consciousness is unaffected, then it is a simple partial seizure..which Vegas has had. Otherwise it is a complex partial seizure. Generalized seizures are divided according to the effect on the body, but all involve loss of consciousness (loss of awareness and or responsiveness) Vegas use to loose bowel control during his seizures also. So...it gets confusing. I guess I'm just outdated. Hope this helps with your questions.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Hey! I have seen Vegas videos and it's very sad :( does remind me of what Brutus did! The video of him in the kitchen is exactly what happened to Brutus! No foam in the mouth just collapsed on the floor shaking on his side and then after about 45 secs he was done shaking but kinda out of it awake but not focused! They ran neurological test said all is good so they are thinking it happens bc of pain from prev surgery.... It happened today and the first two last week he peed on himself and the one today he didn't! I'm confused!

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.658822,-74.233598

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my i thought things were better. im sorry your going through this. yes libra926 is your best reference here. she knows about this. i so hope your baby gets better.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] Yes he was as far as the urethra problem no bleeding and all is well with that! Now this! I feel so bad for my baby! He's been thru so much in the past 2 weeks I feel bad now making him get poked with needles and stuff :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online