Tipsy needs to meet more people but where?

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
So I need to get my Tipsy re-socialized with people as she is now being grumpy with strangers. Where do you guys take your bully to be around people. Any suggestions?

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I would start slow so she doesn't get overwhelmed. Maybe call a friend or two that she doesn't see often. That way they will know what is going on and you can still introduce her to people in an environment where you can easily control her (as opposed to say...a dog park). Good luck and I'm sure some other people will be along to give you more tips. :)

OP
kev122573

kev122573

Mar 1, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Tipsy
Thanks, good suggestion starting slow. She just about lost it when 12 people came over all kinda loud for new years eve, learned my lesson. But at least she is amazing with all my friends she knows specially on her terf.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Poor little gal...she sure is cute though...I just can't imagine her being grumpy ;)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I'd throw a leash on her and just walk her around in a park. If it's people she's grumpy with, have treats that these "strangers" can give her. I'd strongly suggest the "no touch, no talk, no eye contact" until the dog has "met" the person: Nose first. The challenge for her might not be the people themselves, but the hands coming at her to pet. Everyone wants to pet the bulldog around here but fortunately, these guys live for that.

The season opener for The Dog Whisperer this year featured a bully with people problems. Great episode. Maybe you can Tevo it and watch?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
The PetSmart and PetCo by me allow leashed pets in there. It has the advantage of being small enough with just a number of people that you can easily control the situation, have walls so the dogs can't run off, and have people expected to be pet-lovers and more than likely would know what not to do around dogs. And, it's easy enough to leave the place if something doesn't go right.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Walk her around Petco like others suggested. Only problem is that the smells might be very overwhelming. I take my dogs to pet friendly shops and boutiques, where they can meet people and get used to new environments.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
PetCo, Petsmart, we also have a few local pet stores that we take them to. Also, short walks around the neighborhood and the surrounding neighborhoods during nice weather.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I agree that you can take her to Petsmart, Petco or any doggie boutique around your area. Keep her leashed at all times and walk with her by your side. As @vicarro1000 says follow Cesar's Millans rules of introduction. I love Cesar!!!!

Most Reactions