Yikes, Trupanion is raising my rate!!!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
@cali baker ..ya..but my year is coming up soon. And the hip coverage you have to buy in the first year...I figured better safe than sorry at least or awhile! If they don't jack mine up..I will keep it but the increases are soooo high! What about a big deductible like $1000.. And you get care credit for the deductible? Maybe worth checking into! At least for super major things you would be covered. When you apply, they ask you what credit limit you want..or at least they used to....but I understand you can add to it if needed. We started with $7500.. Cuz we thought our Rottie was going to need back surgery that cost that much. Get it for sure! You can use it for regular appts. Just to keep it open. They almost closed ours because we hadn't used it..:eek:

Yes..we used it at Rose City for our Rotties accupuncture treatments!

Last edited:
OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thanks Becky, that's helpful feedback! Yeah, i'm considering that $1000 deductible...plus the care credit...it's a good combo!

reallyrob

Community Veteran
Apr 15, 2010
Southern Illinois/Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
I originally paid around $85 for both of my dogs, with no deductible and I also have the hip dysplasia policy. I have made about 3 or 4 claims on My bulldog, and my rates went up last year to $111 a month, and that is for both dogs with no deductible and the hip dysplasia policy. I still am very happy with Trupanion, but I would drop my policies if it gos to $90 for each dog.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Nice email Henny! What are the gopetplan rates? Check them out. I'm really happy with them. My girlfriend just made a claim for her can for gum disease and they paid her claim fast and $1200ish right away.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Thanku for the info on the credit card; i found out my vet's office accepts it so i'm probably going to apply.

[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION], Trupanion gave me the standard explanation about the rate increase...you know, "to continue to provide quality coverage blah blah blah...we must jack up the price!" And of course they stated that by no means at all was the fact that I had several claims on Tate's policy in the past year the reason for the rate hike!

Consider yourself lucky that you have not gotten an increase in your rate.

I've never once submitted a claim and mine went up for Bea and Bo too. They both have 500 deductibles, I think. Insurance is a rip off - but what ya gonna do? I can't take the chance with them.....

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Don't EVER think that any insurance company will treat you fairly; it is not in their operating procedure.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Aaawww I'm sorry @cali baker that it's happened to you too!!

I was so mad with the girl that I spoke to .... because of course they REFUSE to let you cancel online you have to speak to somebody. She went on with some blah blah speech about how she had a short-nosed dog (maybe it was a pug) and knew the dangers they would face and I should seriously reconsider blah blah blah .... well I said I want to cancel anyway cos I was so furious at having them DOUBLE the premium on me. I got the EXACT same email back as you did Henny ..... ridiculous thing was that instead of going on about how Maggie would benefit from it they named some dog called Bentley. I just thought ... geez if you can't even manage to change the name of the dog in your standard crappy email then you can go put your policy where the sun don't shine!!!

We have no insurance now ... I refuse to feed the pockets of these idiot money grabbing insurance companies .... if I need it we will use care credit!!

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
Cali it is care credit. I have that. The insurances are too much fr my liking. Depending on the amount ou spend you get no interest or very low interest. I have had it for years now. It is usable for human doctors as well. On a bill t is over $100 you get three months no interest, over $400 it's about six months no interest.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Nice email Henny! What are the gopetplan rates? Check them out. I'm really happy with them. My girlfriend just made a claim for her can for gum disease and they paid her claim fast and $1200ish right away.

Jeannie, I haven't heard of go pet plan before but i'll do a little research on them. Thanks!

[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION], so you have trupanion as well? isn't that a total bummer?!

[MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION], i remember when you posted about your rate going up w/trupanion and i thought, 'hmmm...is that gonna happen to me too?'
Well, now i have my answer! :cursing:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeannie, I haven't heard of go pet plan before but i'll do a little research on them. Thanks!
Henny, I just did a quote for you giving Tate's BD as 1/4/11 with a $200 deductible at 80% (that's what I have), with your zipcode. I couldn't remember Tate's BD but I know he's close to Wilson. The price stays the same say if he was born on 12/20/11 (wanted to see if it was different if it was 2010). They cover all congenital illnesses too. I have the Silver plan for all three of my kiddos.

Bronze Silver Gold
veterinary expenses
QuestionMark.gif
$8,000 $12,000 $20,000
extra policy benefits for Tate
boarding kennel & cattery fees
QuestionMark.gif
- $250 $500
advertising and reward
QuestionMark.gif
- $250 $500
loss due to theft or straying
QuestionMark.gif
- $250 $500
death from illness or injury
QuestionMark.gif
- - $1000
vacation cancellation
QuestionMark.gif
- - $1000
Customize Tate's policy premium here

Use the slider below to select your preferred deductible and reimbursement.

Select your deductible
QuestionMark.gif

slider-toggle.png

$200$100$50

select your reimbursement
QuestionMark.gif

slider-toggle.png

80%90%100%

Choose Tate's plan

Bronze Silver Gold
monthly premium* $44.69 $49.75 $55.24

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
hey [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION], thank-you! :smoochwink:

so, looks like those "vet expenses" are the max amts you can use for each category? this looks promising.:cool2:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
That's correct on the max amount, per year though. It's really a good plan. Call them too, they're even courteous on the phone, unlike VPI was for me. Let me know if the works. Pre-existing conditions of course are not covered. Like Jack's HOD is not covered because he was on VPI at the time he got sick, bummer for me as you know.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I use to have VPI, but the refused to cover Vegas for anything due to his epilepsy....so I switched to trupanion. They cover Vegas, just not for anything epilepsy related. I also got that increase letter. I have no deductible and I pay 120.79 for full coverage on both the pups.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.