cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I just got a notice today that Trupanion will be increasing my rate for Tate's insurance from $43/month to just over $90/month stating next month! That's for a zero deductible. Wow, i knew an increase would possibly happen down the road but i had no idea it would be this much of an increase. I currently pay around $70-something for Finn who has a $100 deductible, and i'm sure that too will increase at Finn's anniversary date.
Now I'm reconsidering Tate's deductible b/c $90 is just too much $ to spend for insurance.

Many of you have mentioned there's a special credit card for vet health care that has no or low interest rate...can you tell me what that is again? i'm going to look into that.

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yes I totally agree! I decided to go with the credit card with no interest for 6mnths after 6mnths it is 9.99 still high but better than paying cash! Its called Care Credit

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
Wow. I was just approved for Care Credit for my Lasik. I had no idea I could use it for the vet too. That's great info. Thanks :)

kaikousha

Jan 25, 2012
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thor & Odin
Trupanion was going to charge me $70/mo with a $500 deductible for Thor (that's with no add-ons). Does anyone have any good/bad experiences with VPI? They're a lot cheaper ($26/mo with $100 deductible)

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
Yes it can be used for both! I just figured it was cheaper in the long run than insurance for our boy! I could be wrong! But i pray we dont ever have to use it again!

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Hmmmmm I wonder if I'll get a letter soon from trupanion :( I've had it for 15 months and pay $54 a month with no deductible. Why did they increase it??

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanku for the info on the credit card; i found out my vet's office accepts it so i'm probably going to apply.

[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION], Trupanion gave me the standard explanation about the rate increase...you know, "to continue to provide quality coverage blah blah blah...we must jack up the price!" And of course they stated that by no means at all was the fact that I had several claims on Tate's policy in the past year the reason for the rate hike!

Consider yourself lucky that you have not gotten an increase in your rate.

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Oh no!!!! We submit claims like there's no tomorrow!!! I'll let you know if I get the notice!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Ohhhh Henny! This is what [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] warned us about! I have CareCredit and I think it's great. You can apply online or even in the vets office. They give you different payment plans as far as length of time..depending on how much it is. Up o 24 months no interest. You can use it at human dentists..LASIK...etc! If mine gets hiked like that..I'm canceling it. I haven't had one claim..I have a $500 deductible with hip dysplyia and pay $35.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Whew...don't you love insurance companies?! Doesn't seem to matter if it's human or pooch...they love their "rate increases"

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Whew...don't you love insurance companies?! Doesn't seem to matter if it's human or pooch...they love their "rate increases"

And give you nothing more...

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Wow that's quite a rate hike for dog insurance. If GoPetPlan was to raise my rates like that I'd be cancelling too and taking our Care Credit. Henny have you called them to discuss the hike? I'd be curious to see what their reason is.

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wow that's quite a rate hike for dog insurance. If GoPetPlan was to raise my rates like that I'd be cancelling too and taking our Care Credit. Henny have you called them to discuss the hike? I'd be curious to see what their reason is.

this was a part of the lovely email i rec'vd from them today:cursing::

Because of our outstanding coverage and the increase in medical costs, on occasion we must adjust our rates. As a result, a rate adjustment is planned for this year.
It is important that you understand that the premium adjustments you are receiving for your pet are not a result of your pet aging or any claims that you have filed.

So now I must figure out if i want to stick w/them at a higher deductible or not.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], you still have a pretty great rate there for the $500 deductible; Trupanion quoted mine as $50/month should i go w/that same deductible of $500, (not including the hip dysplasia coverage).

I am definitely going to apply for the Care Credit now.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.