Harness/collar make my baby bully so sad!

thomasgrecojr

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scotch
Scotch is an amazing, energetic and such a loving dog. The moment that I put his harness or collar on him his eyes get blood shot and he stops being himself instantly. He wont play, run or do any of his tricks even if a treat is offered. He will go out for a walk - but it is always a lazy walk... even off of the leash.

I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue in their bully? Currently I take off the collar/harness when we are inside. Should I begin to leave the collar/harness on him at all times and hope that he gets used to it? I just want to see him happy all of the time - and be able to walk him safely. Copy (2) of IMG_0639.jpg

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well..first of all..How Precious is He?? Beautiful Baby! My Jake does very strange things when he sees his harness. I have to corner him and then he stands very still..once the harness is on..he's a wild man and rips around the house..always ending up at the front door! :confused: he does well on his walks and I just figure he has strange little quirks! Now...to really see something funny...you should see when I put a hoodie on him! :eek: he freezes and I'm pretty sure he is holding his breath! Eventually he will move around, always going in slow motion. It takes awhile before he relaxes. Sooo I guess these are just funny little beasts..and I think the more he is on a harness..the more he will like it!

One thing to try..leave the leash on him and let him walk around the house with it on. He will get used to the feeling of it..also..please use a harness if at all possible..much better for them! :up:

Last edited:

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola is okay with her collar, but will run when she sees the harness come out. If I catch her, she lets me put it on her no problem. Who knows! Whenever I put a shirt oh her, she will lay flat on the floor looking completely dejected. She's such a weirdo.

hparker37

Feb 13, 2012
Kingwood, TX
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooey
Hooey did the same to us with his leash. He HATES it. Every now & then he will cooperate with us & use it but for the most part he hates it. Whenever we put it on him & try to walk outside..he lays his front paws down & sticks his bottom up in the air & refuses to move, even if we jerk it a little. The very few times he has cooperated, it has been with his harness/leash opposed to his collar/leash. He's a stubborn lil thing..but he must get that from his dad! ;)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Perhaps he is food motivated and you can associate the collar/harness with a treat. I can make the experience more enjoyable. Just til he gets used to it. Oh yeah, he's a doll baby.

Personally I only use that stuff, (collar) when we leave the property.

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Schultz didn't care for his harness in the beginning, would act very sad and withdrawn, even refuse to walk a few steps. But he got over it, I make a great big deal of getting his harness, giving his a great big rub down, praising how good he is....he loves the attention and he puts up with the harness....he gets to be naked in the house....so he doesn't wear it except for going out and about and he loves to do that....good luck....i'm sure your beautiful boy is just testing your resolve....

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That picture definitely needs some captions! What a precious baby he is. English Bulldogs are known for their eccentricities. My boys run away from the harness, but once it's on they are ok with it. Can get frustrating as I have to chase them all over the place and full well knowing they "love" their walks. None of them wear collars anymore as their necks are delicate and they easily choke with any pressure.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
He looks like he just had somebody put weights on him...poor baby. Lol Hopefully he will get used to his harness soon :)

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
He is soooooo adorable! :luv: Like everyone said, bullies just have some funny behaviors! Frank runs when he sees me with his harness, I have to chase him down and wrestle him into it. Then once it is on, he acts sad too. But after his walk, he will run back into the house, then roll around on his back with it on. Every single time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you've rec'd great advice already... it will take time but you can get him use to it. As [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] stated try to get it associated with a treat/food if he is food motivated and the sadness will slowly disappear.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=3997]thomasgrecojr[/MENTION] He is sooo cute!!! And that look is priceless!!! Mocha will do the same thing whenever I put clothes on her. She wont move, and she will just look like she is about to die!!!
If I was you I would just put the harness on him for a few minutes before you are about to take him for a walk.Also offer him a treat while you are putting his harness on. Mocha doesnt wear a harness at home ever.Thats the way she likes it.
Good luck:luv:

OP
thomasgrecojr

thomasgrecojr

Jan 3, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Scotch
So happy to hear that Scotch is not the only one that does these things...this is so funny. He is our first bully and I am officially a Bully guy for life - their personalities are the BEST. I am going to continue to work with him and let you know how it goes. Thanks for all the advice.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.