When you had your puppy

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
I give my pup a treat when he eliminates where he is supposed to. My question is did you guys give your pup a treat right after he peed and a treat after he poops? Or did you only give him a treat unless he did both? Obviously the pup will pee more then poop but when my puppy poops he usually pees first then anywhere from a minute to 3 minutes after he poops. I just want to reward him right. He is already catching on to the treat after he goes so he will fake squat or basically force out a little pee for a treat.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329409783.606371.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329409783.606371.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 109

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm the same way, I do not treat for potty, but give plenty of praise. But as [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] said, whatever works for you. Since he has caught on the the treat and pee thing you may want to cut that one out. Plus love the pic of him on his back, too cute.

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
We are still potty training, and we are using the bell method. We give lots of praise and pet her when she goes outside, only time we use treats is to get her to ring the bell (not everytime). Spunky reacts the same to lot's of praise vs. treats, though I don't think it's wrong to give treats I may not do it everytime so he doesn't expect them. Good luck!

C

Cooper11

I use treats! Cooper goes outside and does his business and I try to watch him and I will praise him and when he get inside is when I give him and treat and say good boy go potty outside :) As some one in another post stated Cooper has selective hearing and some times I have to bribe him with a treat just to get him to come inside....once the work treat is said he will come running!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
What a awesome looking fella. I have a fenced in yard so never needed treats to make them go anywhere specific. but what ever works for you is cool. He's very cute. keep the pictures coming.

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
I live in an apartment do its a little different I wish I live somewhere I could have a doggy door but its ok for now. Here is another picture for you

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329432099.269419.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329432099.269419.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 90

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That boy is just way too cute.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Never gave treats either. Just lots of praise. My BabyGirl is 3 years old and still expects praise when she goes potty!

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
He is so darn cute! We have never used treats for potty time because we have a pet door that leads to a fenced "dog area". We do use treats for many other things. As previously said, what ever works for you!

OP
mdawson808

mdawson808

Jan 27, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Carmine
I work with him every hour when I am home. I'm afraid the house training is going to take a little longer then it should because I work full time so he is by himself for
9 hours a day. Thank god for automatic feeders

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
LOVE the picture.... sweet!

We've always treat after both... very small treats. The pup/dog has not concept of the size of the treat so do not worry about the size, but do give a treat/reward after each.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.