Help! Spunky is limping

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Hi all,

Spunky is now 12 weeks and as she started running to see her daddy she all of the sudden started limping. I was standing behind her and did not see anything go wrong (she was on concrete), she is still limping this morning but no whimpering. As a her mommy, I'm worried about what it could be and what happened. Has anyone experienced this before? Should we take her to the vet right away?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
May have just pulled a muscle, it should get better soon if that's it. Or it could be she stepped on a little stone and hurt or bruised her pad. Either way it should get better in a day or so. If it doesn't get better in a few days I would take her to the vet.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with David! But I would try to keep her on the quiet side..maybe crate a bit more...and see if rest will help! If it gets worse or doesn't get better in a few days..I'd go to the vet! Good Luck!!

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
I agree, thanks for the comfort. We are carrying her up and down the stairs for now, I feel so bad watching her limp!! :(

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
You got great advice already but I just wanted to tell you that this happened w/Tate a few wks ago. I also panicked when i saw him limping and thought i had to take him to the vet ASAP. Well, after about a day and a half of monitoring him and trying to keep him quiet/crated, the limp went away. I'm suspecting and hopeful that your little Spunky will be okay, just make sure she rests a lot!

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Oh thank you! I am hoping for that recovery, and I'm sure I'm overreacting...:)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you take her to the vet they will probably say to give it a week or so before anything is done so you can save the trip. Just check her paw and try to make her rest. We got advice from our breeder that we should not let our puppy to use stairs freely until he is about one year old. We did that except for a week in the summer when he was about 6 months old, and he ran a lot in stairs too and of course was limping for a week after that.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
If you take her to the vet they will probably say to give it a week or so before anything is done so you can save the trip. Just check her paw and try to make her rest. We got advice from our breeder that we should not let our puppy to use stairs freely until he is about one year old. We did that except for a week in the summer when he was about 6 months old, and he ran a lot in stairs too and of course was limping for a week after that and I was totally beside myself...

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap, going up and down stairs and jumping off the couch is not good for them when they are young due to the growth plates. Growth plates can take up to a year to close or harden if you will.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Poppy got the limps when she was a pup and we were so worried. She was diagnosed with growing pains and eventually it past. Not meds, just lots of vet exams. Would have saved ourselves lots of $$ if we waited it out..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Growth spurt.... as long as she is eating and pottying as normal - it is most likely growing pains

OP
Spunkysmom2012

Spunkysmom2012

Feb 2, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Spunky
Wow thanks everyone this helps us a lot. She seems to be walking normal this evening though we are still keeping her mellow. I did not know about the stairs and couch, so we definitely won't let that happen until she's older. Thanks for the support I love being able to count on Ebn!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.