Choking on a Chicken Bone!!

ChanelnBrutus

Snookie ain't got nuttin on me!
Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus (EBD 6/4/11), Chanel (Pitbull 12/23/06)
So I just wanted to see different opinions on this topic as I know some people do diff things! I was wondering if people feed their bullys chicken bones, pork bones, etc bones. I personally dont give Brutus any bones b/c Im scared he will choke or it will puncture something b.c I dont think they can digest that! Am I wrong? are some bones good for them?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by a moderator:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Re: Chocking on a Chicken Bone!!

I think most bones are fine as long as they are NOT cooked, raw only. I am sure others will wrigh in soon, but never ever give a dog a cooked bone. You are absolutley correct, it is a choking hazard, as well as an obstruction hazard.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names

Oh okay thats good to know! WHat about the chicken though cant they get sick from uncooked chicken ????? I hope this doesnt sound dumb :tongue:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Oh okay thats good to know! WHat about the chicken though cant they get sick from uncooked chicken ????? I hope this doesnt sound dumb :tongue:

Don't be silly, no questions are dumb here. Can't learn if you don't ask right? Believe it or not, they don't, usually.

Chicken is actually a good starter food for raw diet. Check out the raw feeding forum here on EBN, it may be something you are interested in trying. Many have had great success with it.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)

Lisa about covered it. I don't give much in the way of bones at all cuz they make me anxious. On occasion a raw beef bone since they are so big.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names

Thanks! Yea I just thought that bones all in all were back so its uncooked that is okay! Yeah the chicken thing I was like no they cant eat that but wow to my surprise its okay! Yea im going to read that now! THANKS

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Depends on if he is a gulper or chewer. In the beginning you will have to hold the bone (I recommend chicken neck), and teach him that he needs to chew his food. You will quickly see what kind of eater he is.

I don't feed my pups chicken necks anymore since they are small and they inhale them. I now feed turkey necks which are huge so they have to work at it. But even with the turkey they'll sometimes eat too quickly and throw up... Yeah not the best image but the dogs body knows what to do when something wasn't chewed properly. Don't panic and just go with it :)

Good luck

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto

Bones are digested very well actually. Too much bone and your dog poo is powder...But like said, absolutely only raw bones. My dogs diet in about 60% chickens and turkeys meaty bones, like necks, backs and wings. Also some pork ribs and backs. Bigger bones are more for fun and dental care.

OP
ChanelnBrutus

ChanelnBrutus

Feb 6, 2012
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
So glad I asked this .... I had it all wrong lol Thanks a bunch guys Ill probably wait until after he turns 1 to start introuducing the raw food! But definatley somehting for us to think about! Thanks again

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Confirm all the great info you got.... my girl LOVES frozen marrow bones. she will gnaw on them for HOURS and then pass out - sound asleep

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.