wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinness was on FROMM puppy gold and did exceptional on it, when turned 10 months switched to FROMM 4star..went through practically all the flavors and he did good on foods for first two weeks on them and then red face, tear stains and watery eyes. Started on FROMM Grain free surf and turf and same results, good for two weeks and then downhill. He has had bland diet for few days because we ran out of food waiting for delivery but his face has turned back nice and white and tear stains have all but stopped. The surf and turf is coming in today and if tear stains start again and face gets red I am all out of ideas. Do you guys (and girls) think I should try FROMM Adult Gold because he did good on the puppy gold? This is what I think I am going to do. Also, we went to the vet two weeks ago and I brought up the allergy test (for the 3rd time, this particular vet decided against it the two other times) to the covering vet and he seemed pissed that i asked again and he eventually did the test but stated that the test does not cover food allergies. I have read their is a test for food allergies or am I mistaken?? My regular vet as not been there the last few times but he is a really good with Bulldogs and this is why we went with him in the first place. I am still waiting to see the results from the allergy test but process of elimination leads me to believe it is definately the food, but I don't have my DVM.

Oh and Guinness says he misses everyone here.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if he did good on the puppy gold and not good on the 4 star i would put him on the adult gold till you can get the test done. yes you can do it for food. i just got sarahs done and was glad i did some things i knew about some were surprises. if they wont do it there then call around and go somewhere that does. you will have to go for an initial visit and come back but its worth it. i went to another vet to get mine done because my vet doesnt do them. keep us updated. if the adult gold doesnt work i will help you find something till you can get the test if you want. good luck.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No help really, I agree try the adult gold. I would be irritated at a vet getting irritated at you for asking. WTH????!!!! Bully vet or not that is the attitude I cannot tolerate. Hopefully this food doesnt mess his pretty fur up. So nice when their face is actuallu white isnt it? What were you feeding while out of food, did you say ground beef and rice? At least you know that specifically doesnt bother him.

Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board using Tapatalk

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
That's funny. I talked to my vet this morning to get Abby's urine test results and I asked her about allergy testing. She advised against it. She said they only do environmental testing and that's usually done by blood test or shave the dog and do pin pricks like they do to people. She told me (and I couldn't believe this) that the best way to check for allergies is trial and error in diet. She's not a bulldog vet tho. I can't find anyone near me to take her to.

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Hve you tried the hills d/d prescription diet food?! Our vet thought Brooklyn had a food allergy, but he was a moron and he actually didn't. But Brooklyn loved the food and it made his coat feel like silk. Also, his ear infections stopped and his ears are flawless and he has not one trail of tear stains anymore. He also gets bottled water :) but putting him on this food was a miracle and he actually eats it!!!!! He had horrendous tear stains before.... Now he is even more beautiful :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I would go to the Fromm Adult Gold..... also, the full blood screen allergy test is done for both food and environmental [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] just had it done and I had it done on both my bullies.

[MENTION=1546]TomnZon[/MENTION] Hills are not a good food for long term/everyday use. They are meant to be used to address an issue and then go back to a normal foood. They are great to address the issue they are made for.
Take a read of the article on Dog Food Ingredients... and dog food ratings... great info.

OP
wfd38383

wfd38383

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2010
Southeast, Ma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
thanks for the responses, I am going to switch to adult gold I think, he has been on surf and turf agan for two days and eyes are watery, rubbin his face against the chair and around his eyes are all red.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
thanks for the responses, I am going to switch to adult gold I think, he has been on surf and turf agan for two days and eyes are watery, rubbin his face against the chair and around his eyes are all red.

Good luck and keep us posted

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.