Want to bring a 2nd bulldog into the mix.... Need advice ASAP!!!!!!!!!

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Hi everyone - we have a 15 month old male english bulldog and want to get him a sibling!!! Our breeder has a litter available! We have heard not to get another make because they sometimes don't get along........we wanted a male until we heard that.....does anyone have experience with having a one year old bully? No problem getting a female..they're all beautiful...we just want to hear some experiences any of you have had with bringing a second bully into the mix. We also thought about frenchies too, but English are so much cuter :)

Please share ANY sort of advice or experience you had so we can make a decision:) or maybe it's a terrible ides to get a new puppy..we are clueless :)

Thank you!!!!!!

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
hmmmm i can't say for females but my ex and i brought a second male bullie in after i had mine....jameson was approximately 6-7 months old maybe slightly older and we brought titan in and he was 10 weeks old. they get along beautifully. they are the best of friends...the very first day titan was home he wanted nothing to do with jameson and i cried thinking he hated him...but the next day it was friends for life

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
See I am the opposite. I say I have a problem with bringing in another femaie. My males all get along great, its the females in the house that have issues.

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
Awwwwwwww!!! I want Brooklyn to have a little brother!!!! Did the older bully teach him things....like was it easier potty training?

OP
TomnZon

TomnZon

Nov 29, 2010
NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn
[MENTION=1930]RescueMe[/MENTION]....you have had issues bringing in a female bully? How many do you have now? You think us getting an 8 week old male pup wouldn't be a problem?

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Females tend to be just what they are called. I foster alot and have had more issues with the females than males. I just brought into the house two frenchie males that are 9 weeks old and no problems except with my female..I have two female ebs, 2 male ebs and 2 male frenchies. I say you would be ok with either being that young. Most of the issues ive had are with older females and usually breeder girls. So there are many issues.

I guess I need to clarify more issues with introducing femailes to

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
titan was easier to train but that may have been that titan is a much more laid back bullie....it was definitely funny to watch them grow up together...jameson was very much the older brother growing up, don't steal my toys i will come take them back...pin titan down when playing...then titan got bigger than jameson...now jameson gets the toys taken from him. we have never had to seperate them because of nastiness. we feed them side by side...they will drink from the water bowl at the same time. it's pretty awesom

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
darn I posted too quick..More trouble introducing females to females.

texasfinest254

Mar 21, 2010
Ohio
Bulldog(s) Names
Boscoe and Bruiser
I got my first male bully, Boscoe, in Jan 2009, when he was 10 months old. Then in Oct 2010 when Boscoe was just under years old, I got another male bully, Bruiser, who was 10 weeks old. Bruiser LOVED his big brother instantly! Boscoe, loves him now, but at the time his reaction was more like, "what the heck is this" lol. He didn't know what to think. Boscoe has always been laid back, however, and anytime Bruiser wanted to play, Boscoe just sat there and took it. He would just walk away when he was tired of being bothered. Within two weeks, Boscoe came to like him and they are best buds now!

I wouldn't dismiss getting another male based on what you have heard simply because every bully is different. In my experience, they are absolute sweethearts and can be very accepting of others the same sex. I would ask the breeder if you can bring your 15 month old bully over for a 'meet and greet', once you have picked the pup out that you are considering to adopt.

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I got my first male bully, Boscoe, in Jan 2009, when he was 10 months old. Then in Oct 2010 when Boscoe was just under years old, I got another male bully, Bruiser, who was 10 weeks old. Bruiser LOVED his big brother instantly! Boscoe, loves him now, but at the time his reaction was more like, "what the heck is this" lol. He didn't know what to think. Boscoe has always been laid back, however, and anytime Bruiser wanted to play, Boscoe just sat there and took it. He would just walk away when he was tired of being bothered. Within two weeks, Boscoe came to like him and they are best buds now!

I wouldn't dismiss getting another male based on what you have heard simply because every bully is different. In my experience, they are absolute sweethearts and can be very accepting of others the same sex. I would ask the breeder if you can bring your 15 month old bully over for a 'meet and greet', once you have picked the pup out that you are considering to adopt.

I totally agree!

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I have to put my 2 cents into this one. It's an unpopular point of view but it's based on experience.

I truly believe that having 2 male dogs (or 2 female dogs for that matter) requires more "advanced" dog handling skills. You can get lucky and have 2 very timid dogs but even in English Bulldogs, they're not all timid. And especially with English Bulldogs, they have a more stubborn streak than most, so they require a stronger hand if a problem does come up.

I've said it here before - I don't trust myself to have 2 dogs of the same gender. I don't have the necessary skillset to handle them if an issue ever arises. My husband is the alpha dog in the house and he was able to handle 2 un-neutered dobermans. And man - we had several rough spots, even $800 worth of stitches for the dogs at one time. I have a friend with extensive dog handling training and she has 6 dogs. Her husband had to have stitches on his arm after a fight broke out. Now, one of the dogs (the one that had the issues) had to be separated from the rest of the pack the rest of her life.

Okay, those are just the worse-case-scenarios, of course. But, I know I can't handle 2 dogs because I have 2 children and I am a pushover even with them... with the English Bulldog and their cute expressions, I'm a ninny. I could get lucky and have really laid back dogs. But, I can't chance that I'll be unlucky and have one or even both aggressive ones. My husband, on the other hand, I'm sure can handle a whole pack of dogs, so 2 male English Bulldogs are not going to be a problem with him.

Okay, that's just my 2 cents on the matter.

Last edited:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
I think the younger that both dogs are makes it alot easier to introduce new ones also. My two are just a year old and ive taken them everywhere and had them meet other dogs, so they seem unconcerned with other ones now. They get excited and want to play but no issues at all.

Like I said I have two 1 yr old ebs one female one male, 2 2 yr old ebs one male and female. Now the two male frenchies. Only issues we have had with older ones is they like to butt in and get loving when we are loving on the little ones. We make sure to give attention to all. Now I need more hands lol

I think the suggestion of taking yours to meet the one you pick out is excellent.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
When Tate was 6months old I brought him a new brother, Finn who was 4mos old. Tate loved Finn immediately; he just wanted to play with his new bro. Finn however was very shy, almost scared of Tate and would hide under a table or in the corner. He warmed up though with time and now, Finn is the dominant one over Tate. That has brought some issues with Finn starting fights with Tate, Finn growling at Tate...but I've been working hard with the two of them and disciplining Finn when needed. I think it's starting to pay off as Finn has been a bit more easy going. The two of them play a lot w/one another and I usually find them sitting side by side or sometimes on top of the other! There's definitely a lot of love there!

I guess I'm sharing these ramblings b/c I just wanted to share my own experience and tell you that it's definitely possible to have two male bulldogs in the same household living in harmony!

Most Reactions