Considering a female english pup, have a couple questions/concerns

jcar302

Feb 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none
Hey guys, in our search for a french bulldog we ran into a sweet English bulldog girl.
With a french in our immediate family we are aware that bulldogs aren't a set it and forget it type of dog.
At a reputable local breeder that does frenchies and English bulldogs we ran into her. 6 months old, 40lbs, white with brown patches, extremely loving and active. We were told the dog was kept for the breeders mother (who is 80 and was the original family breeder) but the mother is too old and travels back and forth to florida so are considering selling her. I know breeder names aren't to be tossed around here so if anyone wants the name, pm me. They have bred plenty of award winning frenchies.

questions:

Does 6 months old make her less valuable?

Breeder says she relieves her anal glands 2-3 times a week. Is this normal? Is it something that some people just do, needed or not? I didn't ask yet because without the education on it, doesn't matter what she said, i still would have no clue. Did some reading on the topic and i understand it, just don't know what is necessary or normal.

We would like an active dog, how much does that change from 6 months on? In the summer we will likely spend a fair amount of time outside and i know to watch for heat stroke but we would like her to come outside with us a good amount, we have a fence in yard that is pretty big.

If this was the runt of the litter (which is ok with me, i'd prefer either a big french or little english) does that really mean greater chance of health issues? I keep hearing that from friends, but just because you own a dog doesn't mean you are a dog expert. My fiance owns a car but that doesn't mean she can drive well, j/k.

Generally do female bulldogs get along with others well? She seems to be ok with her little frenchie sisters at the moment, but she's a little rough, but size difference is quite a bit. She and the sisters frenchie won't be too far in weight at the moment, he's oversized at 37lbs.

I appreciate any insight, we just want to make an educated decision.
Thanks,
Joe

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Joe and welcome to the site.

Value -- not sure what you mean exactly, but the older they are the less expensive it is to adopt.

Anal glands -- there are a few here that need to relieve their bully, but a few times a week seems a bit much to me once a month is more reasonable. @KMARINO -- thoughts?

Active -- Hmm, not really the right breed for you. They are active till about 2 maybe 3, but hey are a lazy breed and tend to be more about just being with their humans. The active phase, is really looking at 10-15 minute play sessions and then a nap.

Runt -- all bullies have some level of health issue.. it is part of the breed. Very sensitive tummies and skin... AND, if not on the right food, which is a journey in its own, the list of issues could be extensive.

Female -- as with any breed, it depends on the dog and how strong a pack leader you as the Alpha are in training her and letting her know what is acceptable behavior and how well you socialize her with dogs outside of her 'pack'.

Outside -- depending on where you live.. they can not handle long periods in heat/humidity or extreme cold. We are in PA, and summer time is very limited time outside definitely no long walks, very limited short walks and NO RUNNING.

Overall, this is a very high maintenance dog which requires the owner to be fully in tune with the nuances of the breed and individual dog.

Hope that helps... others will be along to give more opinions and advice.

Last edited:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Well since she weighs at 6 months what our girl does at 5 years old I would say she is going to end up to be a big girl.

Being 6 months old wouldn't make her less valuable IMO. Quite the contrary if she has a good start on potty training and all her puppy shots etc....

Activity level varies so greatly from one dog to another. Temperament wise most EB's do get along well with others. But again that can vary. As far as being outside, it depends on where you live. They don't do well In extreme heat or humidity, but then neither do I.

Oh and HRH is 5 years old and we have never had to have her anal glands expressed in the 1 1/2 we have had her.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Our females range from 60lbs to 32lbs. There are a couple other small EB females her on the site. Of course our small one, Bella is as active as can be for 2years old, but when she is done, she is done.

Any breed females tend to have issues with other females, then again it all depends on what you allow. Making sure all know you are Alpha from the beginning helps. We have 3 female dogs here at our house.

I have only had to express a dogs glands once. They usually do it them selves real well. It sounds to me that a couple times is a little excessive, however I just may be lucky.

And yes, the older the pup, the more the adoption fee comes down, however 6 months is still young, seems like the price gets lowered more towards the year mark. Also if a very good bloodline it may never go down. I don't breed so I really don't know on that part. I tend to buy based on what I want and not on whether I get a deal. Emotional buyer I guess.

If you decide on this little one.....post pictures, we love puppy pictures around here.

By the way, they are sensitive to heat, however where do you live? Heat is all relative to where you live. Here in Florida, Bullies are inside during the summer.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
My bullies went on a 10km hike, they are headstrong, driven and love to keep up. It was October and temperatures are low around that time in Canada. It depends on where you live, and what type of activity you are into. As long as they have access to water, shade and a misting fan ;) bullies can be great outdoorsy dogs. And of course keep them warm in winter!! My boy goes on winter hikes and he loves them.

OP
J

jcar302

Feb 13, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
none
Thanks for the responses.
We live in nj, so a month or two of 32 degree weather and about 3 months of 80+.

Breeder suggested she wouldn't get much heavier than 45lbs, not sure what that is based on.

Let me also rephrase "active", I more or less meant around us. Don't need a dog that runs runs runs, but don't want one that spends the entire day in bed either.

If we are to seriously consider this pup, I will have to have them explain why they relieve the glands so often.

I'm not asking price based on age to save money, I just don't want to over pay, at some point money does matter during an adoption. Sorry if I came off cheap, not the case, just do t want to be taken advantage of.

thanks,
joe

Last edited:

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
The weight is probably based on the parents.

I find that bulldogs will fit into whatever your life is like. If you're a homebody, so are they. If you spend time outdoors (nothing too arduous), they will gladly go anywhere you go. Bullies are social, goofy dogs that want nothing more than to be with their people. Just be sure to accommodate them like you would a fat kid at soccer camp. Lol JK!!

Yes I would figure out the gland thing too. I find some breeders to be over the top, so you may not need to read too much into it.

Yes for her age she should cost less than an 8 week old pup. I would have looooved to skip the baby phase!! They are darn cute but so much work. Having two bully pups from 10 weeks old I can now say I'm over it! Haha.

Good luck on your decision making, hope it all goes well.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Hi Joe and welcome to the site, I will comment on the anal gland expressions, Vegas has to have his done about every 5 weeks. I know when he needs them done due to him scooting his bottom across the area rug and rubbing. I personally do not do them :barf:, I take him to the vet and they do them since his has to be done internally. I think a couple times a week is a bit much. But each bully is different. I have had Vegas for 2.5 years and he has always had to have them done. Sometimes we can go longer, again he let's me know when he needs them done.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
The only flag that goes up for me on this pup is the anal gland issue. I'd be asking lots of questions about that. Anyway, :welcome: to EBN! :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
several times a week anal gland expression seems really excessive. i have sarahs done about once month. like clockwork on the first of the month she will start rubbing her butt back and forth and licking her paws. as far as activity level that depends on the dog. sarah was pretty active till she got like 3 or 4. then she has started slowing down alot over the past year as she is 5 now. im thinking that males seem to be more durable and active than females. bullies cannot take the heat or very cold. we have been lucky with sarah as i used to keep her out in the fence with my other dogs before i knew better. well never above 80 but still. she is now a full time house dog. this can be a very time consuming breed but oh so worth it so be thoughtful if that is what you truly want. welcome to the site.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online