Looking for Advice on finding a baby bully to add to our family

BullyLover22

Aug 19, 2010
Unfortunately our first attempt to get in contact with a " breeder" or " kennel club" to get an English Bulldog puppy was a SCAM:mad: I wanted some advice on the fact that I found a breeder on the internet that provides the breeder license number, a phone number, and is in my state and provides an address. Is this a reliable source? The puppy is not that expensive and says :

Shots up to date, potty trained, some are microchipped limited and full registrations. Standard temperment and personality tests are excellent. 3 Year health guarantee. Happy repeat customer references available upon request. Local Breeder Lic#.......

I called and left my name and number so that I could be contacted... This was posted today and I was hoping that someone had adivce for this first time puppy buyer and if this sounds like another scam or not.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
What is the price? My first impression would be yes it is a scam, especially if you say the puppy is not that expensive.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
This is a good place to start:

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/Puppy_Buying_Tips_from_English.html

One thing I say is that I would never buy a puppy without seeing where is was raised. Any good breeder would be more than happy with you coming to their home, seeing the bully parent(s) and where they keep their pups. The best breeders don't do it for money, they do it to improve the breed. There are so many scams when it comes to bully pups, do lots and lots of research. It is really important to get a well bred pup to avoid excessive health problems.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
This ad says English bulldog?? Definately a scam.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think I read somewhere that if you see a bully puppy listed for less than $1000.00 it's likely a scam. I've been doing a LOT of reading about Bully's though in the last couple months, so I wouldn't even be able to say where that was.

Seems that pretty "standard" price we found when looking was about 1800.00 and UP for a puppy.

OP
B

BullyLover22

Aug 19, 2010
What price range should I be looking for ? I do not want to show my puppy we just want a family pet and love the breed. It seems as if all the puppies I find are very expensive because they have champion blood lines which we are not looking for at all .

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Scam all the way....if it just says "bulldog" it may be a pit mix or American bulldog. I think even decent American Bulldogs go for more than this. I worked with a woman once who said "hey we got a bulldog puppy this weekend" She was so excited, I repeated "Bulldog", "yes yes yes". I knew her life-style and her home income and I was so surprised that they would spend that much. I went over to see the puppy....pit mix. Just be very careful.

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
What price range should I be looking for ? I do not want to show my puppy we just want a family pet and love the breed. It seems as if all the puppies I find are very expensive because they have champion blood lines which we are not looking for at all .

You are looking at $1000-2000 easily. English Bulldogs are expensive for many reasons. One the females are artificially inseminated, you can only imagine how much that costs alone. Then they do not give birth naturally, it's c-section. I am sure you can imagine how much that costs, I bet it rarely happens by appt at regular office hours. I'm sure mostly by emergency and emergency fees are outrageous. Then after having a c-section a female bulldog is not able to take care of their pups right away so the breeder has to be the mom for days, possibly bottle feed, etc. This Process takes LOTS of time and LOTS of money. It costs alot to breed them so when you buy one it costs alot. Any cheap pup is not a cheap pup in the end, a poorly bred pup will probably cost you alot more in the end (medical bills) then if you had just bought a well bred one in the first place. $1000-2000 is just for a healthy pup, if you wanted show quality is could be way more!

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
As LariP already mentioned, $1800 is probably the low end for a registered pup. I think your going about this all wrong though... you shouldn't be looking for a bargain basement, you should be looking for a solid breeding program. Your taking a risk with this breed in possible high vet bills either way you go, but by finding those who are seriously trying to breed out the hereditary problems, you are greatly decreasing your odds of being stung later.

Find a responsible breeder, then ask yourself if you can afford a pup... or perhaps a rescue?

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
And don't think of a rescue as the "cheap" way to go. No matter what, the English Bulldog is a high maintenance breed! Just look around the site and you'll see, high maintanence babies! But if you are like me and how I feel about my Samson, it's more than worth it!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
For a quality non-back yard breeder pup that is NOT from a puppy mill you should be paying around $2000-$2500, show quality is $3000 and up.

If this is way out of your price range, I would suggest adopting one. There are tons who need homes listed right here on the site. This could give you some experience with having a bulldog while you save for one (if you don't have $2000 to spend right now, that is). Plus the adults are so wonderful, and you will already know what, if any, health issues they have.

Plus I just like them when they are older and even more lazy and snuggly :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online