Spay cost & type selected ?

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
During our last vet visit I broached the spay topic and pricing. Now you know living in NYC they seem to charge an arm and leg for everything. The vet gave me the choice between two options. Option 1: is the regular spay with a price of $468-$488 (depending on her weight at the time) which includes everything including the pre-spay panel, Option 2: is the laparoscopic procedure with a price of $888. There is a sell towards the laparoscopic procedure due to a speedier recovery time.

My question to allis which did you opt for and how much did you pay?

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
the laproscopic procedure wasn't an option at my vet, so Brooke had the regular spay. The day she came home and the next morning were AWFUL but more because of the affect the anesthesia had on her than the actual operation. Afterwards she returned to her normal self even faster than she healed (trying to run up the stairs and jump on the bed and couch). Good luck! I know how nerve wracking it can be trying to make these decisions for our babies.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
We just had the regular spay. Never heard of laparoscopic actually. Healing time was fine for Miila, she healed fast actually. Cant remember how much for her spay itself since she also had cherry eye and pallet surgery at the same time. Would guess in the $400 area.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
laparoscopic wasn't available at the time we had Banks spayed -- but she had no issues with the regular spay and healed up in no time

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
If you don't mind taking a trip across the GW, there are a bunch of places in NJ that offer low cost spay/neutering. People for Animals in Hillside do it but not for bulldogs. I know that the animal hospital in Caldwell does. Not sure of the price tho, Abby is still too young.

http://www.spaynj.org/

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You would think that the laparoscopy wouldn't be so ridiculously priced, it is a much faster and easier procedure for them to perform. How large of a scar/incisions did the girls have? What were the side effects of the anesthesia? I want to schedule her and take a few days off to be with her. I figure I schedule her for a Friday and take the following Monday and Tuesday off. That way I am home with her for a straight four days. How old were your girls when you had the spay done?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You would think that the laparoscopy wouldn't be so ridiculously priced, it is a much faster and easier procedure for them to perform. How large of a scar/incisions did the girls have? What were the side effects of the anesthesia? I want to schedule her and take a few days off to be with her. I figure I schedule her for a Friday and take the following Monday and Tuesday off. That way I am home with her for a straight four days. How old were your girls when you had the spay done?

Banks was just about 7 months... she is 6 now and no scar to be seen. If I remember correctly, she bounced right back and we had to keep her gated off in a room so she could not play with Nitschke.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]....thanks. I am thinking maybe around the 6-8 month mark. Know what the average age is for a first heat?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
@2BullyMama ....thanks. I am thinking maybe around the 6-8 month mark. Know what the average age is for a first heat?

I'm think right about the same, but a better question for [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] or [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Our vet does the conventional spay between 4 -5 hundred. Plus they will usually go into heat between 6 to 8 months of age, sometimes a little older. I thing Jewel went into heat at 9 months old.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] -- thanks. I am leaning toward having it done before her first heat. We go to visit my dad and he will also be babysitting for us when we go on vacation at the end of the year. Dad is a strong believer in leaving his dogs intact. I don't want to take any chances that we might be on vac and she goes into heat and his crazy shin tzu gets to her.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=4054]Bizzymammabee[/MENTION] That's a good idea, it's always best to spay or neuter, if you don't plan on breeding.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] -- I prefer to leave breeding to the experts. As much as I would love to see babies of my babies I am so not crazy. Whelping, especially in dogs that might need assistance is not my cup of tea. My dad has bred his dogs in the past, I saw the amount of work and expense he went to to ensure healthy pups as well as the health of his mamma.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3699]Kozman[/MENTION] -- mobile clinic has a few stipulations: 1) income check (low income), 2) designated number of pets done per day and 3) you have to be there really early. They start intake about 7 in the morning and people start lining up from around 4 am to get a slot. I am totally fine with paying for it, I was just curious to what procedure and what others were paying. I think the amount they quoted was pretty good. The actual spay procedure itself is roughly $200 and then the rest is the anesthesia, IV, cathether, meds to go homeand the blood panel they do before hand to make sure she will be ok for the anesthesia.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.