Need some suggestions for being tactful...

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Raven (2011-2016), Tyson (2014-2023) & Bella
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]..lol. I am all for pets but why would you try to take the wild raccoons and bring them indoors. She puts out food and stuff in her yard. She has an old broken down garage in her yard that she will not take down because she figures they need a place to live. My elderly neighbor had died a year ago so the property was empty. One day I was out in my yard, laying in my hammock, when I hear an excuse me, excuse me. I look over and she is talking to me over the back fence. She asked me if I could open the neighbors shed so her cats could go hang out in there.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VIDEO!!!!!

Definitely not a site to see. My dad has a 100 pound mastiff and there is a neighbor's cat that is always terrorizing him when he is out in the yard. My dad spoke to the neighbor several times and warned him that his cat was harrassing the dog. Well the guy had an attitude, my dad told him I am not responsible for your cat if he scales my five foot fence to harrass the dog. Sure enough, one day, Trouble had had enough and finally caught a hold of the cat. Let's just say there is no more cat. I felt really bad, but I have seen how that cat used to harrass Trouble. He would be asleep in the sun, minding his business, this cat would scale the fence and jump down on him. I am assuming sink his claws in and make a game of it. Don't know why. That dog, although monster sized is a real gentle giant. Just a dopey puppy in a huge body.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
We have the same problem but lately Dexter and Honey have decided they like chasing the cat , I hate the think what will happen if they catch it.

Definitely won't be good for the cat.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Definitely not a site to see. My dad has a 100 pound mastiff and there is a neighbor's cat that is always terrorizing him when he is out in the yard. My dad spoke to the neighbor several times and warned him that his cat was harrassing the dog. Well the guy had an attitude, my dad told him I am not responsible for your cat if he scales my five foot fence to harrass the dog. Sure enough, one day, Trouble had had enough and finally caught a hold of the cat. Let's just say there is no more cat. I felt really bad, but I have seen how that cat used to harrass Trouble. He would be asleep in the sun, minding his business, this cat would scale the fence and jump down on him. I am assuming sink his claws in and make a game of it. Don't know why. That dog, although monster sized is a real gentle giant. Just a dopey puppy in a huge body.

Mastiffs are gentle giant, that is for sure, but boy do then tend to hate cats..... and it is usually rightfully so.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] -- I swear it was crazy how that cat stalked my dad's dog. The funniest thing is that he never had any cat issues. That cat lived to torment him I think. I remember being over one father's day, trouble was laid out in the sun on his back, enjoying his little doggie dreams, when out of no where this cat launched itself from the top of the fence onto him. It was like a crazy cartoon scene. Poor dog just cried until we shooed the cat away with the hose. Guess eventually he ran out of doggie patience. The cat had to be nuts, this dog is huge. If I didn't know him there is no way I would enter their house.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Yes, this is a problem. But, this is not your cat. This is your neighbor's cat. And she is responsible for that cat. So, bottom line is - it is your neighbor's problem to solve. If I were you, I would knock on her door and explain the situation and ask her to provide a solution. Good neighbors usually do their best not to inconvenience their neighbors with their stuff.

I have a neighbor with 2 boxers who roam their yard every morning. Unfortunately, if my dogs are out in the yard and their dogs are out too, it becomes a riot at the fence. One of the fence boards are coming lose and any one of our dogs could bust through anytime now. We fixed the fence, but it took only one day for it to come lose again. The mayhem at the fence is just becoming too much of a hassle. It is a problem and we had to find a solution. So, I walked over to the neighbor's house and we discussed the problem together. We came up with a solution using creative scheduling - I have to let the dogs out at a certain time in the morning to be on time for taking the kids to school. The neighbor was gracious enough to adjust his dog's morning schedule to a later time so that the dogs are out when my dogs go back in.

I'm just telling you this as an example of how you can possibly solve a problem by having the owner of the cat deal with it if you bring up the topic graciously and politely. Of course, if your neighbor is just completely uncaring, then you can let her know of consequences - you can tell her that the next time the cat poops in your yard, you will take the cat to the animal shelter. An unwanted animal within your private property can be sent to the animal shelter within your rights as a property owner.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] -- thanks. It's funny because her cats like to visit all of our yards, you never see them in her yard. I am really thinking to re-fence the whole yard with a high fence, not only because of her cats, but I also want it more securely fenced as a doggy park. The couple grand it will cost is not presently in my budget, but it is in my list of "wants".

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
@anatess -- thanks. It's funny because her cats like to visit all of our yards, you never see them in her yard. I am really thinking to re-fence the whole yard with a high fence, not only because of her cats, but I also want it more securely fenced as a doggy park. The couple grand it will cost is not presently in my budget, but it is in my list of "wants".

Just to let you know... I had 2 cats before (my kid is allergic to cats so we can't have them anymore) and those cats can climb an 8-foot wooden fence or cinder block/brick/concrete wall. The only thing my cats couldn't climb was those vinyl (smooth and slippery) fences and it had to be 6-foot tall (not the regular 4.5 foot that is most common) so they can't jump over it.

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION] -- I intend to do three sides in the PVC vinyl fence in the six foot range, then the fourth side will be the four foot pieces. That way I can close the little weebles in and let them roam but I can still see them while sitting on the patio furniture. I hate keeping them on a teether. I want them to have the true free willy feeling :lmao:

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Before i tell this story i should say i love cats...

This *friend* of mine, lets call him 'TheFost', Had two Australian Cattle dogs that LOVED cats. 'TheFost' had raised these dogs with 3 indoor cats that would actually play with the dogs (jump on them, chase the dogs around.. that type of stuff). But life happens and the Dogs and Cats got a divorce and went separate ways (cats with wife.. dogs with 'fost').

Flash-Forward a year or two... The Dogs and 'Fost' are re-married and living in his new wife's house while they are building a new home. A neighbors cat jumps into the back yard to play with the dogs! The dogs are so excited to have a new kitty friend they spend hours and hours playing... playing to the point where the kitty got sleepy. Very, Very, Very sleepy... :nope:

The 'fost' comes home from work to find the dogs laying next to the kitty, barking and whining, trying to wake the kitty up to play again. The dogs new mommy is worried what the neighbors will do when they find out how 'sleepy' their cat is. After a long discussion with the other neighbors on the street it was decided the cat would be moved to a field next to owners house so it could continue its nap.

It turns out there have been a few altercations with this cat's owners and the neighborhood. Like the original poster, this cat was causing LOTS of problems with other people. Police and Animal control where involved a few times... The other neighbors where worried what would happen to "Fosts" dogs if the owner found out they played with the kitty.

So the cat was moved to the field to 'rest' under a tree... A few neighbors brought treats over to the dogs congratulating them on playing with that particular kitty. Nobody ever said anything again... The 'Fost' and his wife felt guilty :nope: .

Flash forward 3 months... Its the 4th of July.. The neighborhood is having a big firework party out in the street. It's dark, people are sitting in lawn chairs gibber-jabbing, kids are running around with sparklers.

A dark shape starts crawling around the crowed... The 'Fosts' wife lets out a BLOOD CURDLING SCREAM... everybody turns to see the sleeping kitty (now-non-sleeping) standing in front of everybody! Another neighbor falls out of her chair at the sight of the cat.

The cat turns towards the crowd... gives a nasty growl and hiss... then runs off into the night.

The 'fost' and his wife eventually move into their new home in a different city. They still go to the old neighborhood Christmas party every year.. And every year some old neighbor tells the legend of 'the sleepy kitty'. It seems the kitty is still seen walking around that street every now and then... but it has never set foot in that yard again.

The moral of this story... Your life will be much simpler if you just move :laugh:.

PS. True story... The wife still has nightmares about that damn cat!

OP
Bizzymammabee

Bizzymammabee

Jan 12, 2012
New York City
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3952]TheLost[/MENTION] -- ok you just gave me the heebie jeebies. :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@2BullyMama -- I swear it was crazy how that cat stalked my dad's dog. The funniest thing is that he never had any cat issues. That cat lived to torment him I think. I remember being over one father's day, trouble was laid out in the sun on his back, enjoying his little doggie dreams, when out of no where this cat launched itself from the top of the fence onto him. It was like a crazy cartoon scene. Poor dog just cried until we shooed the cat away with the hose. Guess eventually he ran out of doggie patience. The cat had to be nuts, this dog is huge. If I didn't know him there is no way I would enter their house.

I had a similar situation -- my cat and my sister's German Shepard -- they would do a lot of the same thing you say. Duke would be sleeping and Tasha would jump from the stairs right on his back -- and the chase would begin for hours.

Most Reactions