Eating poo yucky!!!!

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
In the last week my Tess decided she wanted to eat her poo is that common? I have different breed of dogs before her and I have a Yorkie now and none of them done that before. Seeing that sweet face eat that yucky stuff gross :barf:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is not unheard of.... right [MENTION=2014]JeannieCO[/MENTION]?

There is usually something in the :poo: that attracts the dog to want to eat it.... medicine, high quality food, or a food not fully digested. Only way to stop it is to get to the pile before he does.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Nope not unheard of at all. I dealt with this with Wilson for the last year!!!! He constantly ate my old dog Ace :poo: (he's passed last month). I always suspected it was due to the pills Ace that he had to take that attracted Wilson to his poop and when Ace passed Wilson's poo eating ways stopped. He didn't eat his own. I tried everything under the sun too to get him to stop, you name it I tried it. I was disgusted at first but eventually got used to cleaning poop out of his mouth. Baby wipes became my friend. The one thing to remember is that dog's are not disgusted by it and it's not a bad thing to them like it is us.....it's just a tasty backyard scooby snack to them. It's possible, I've heard anyway, that there could be a vitamin deficiency, I've just heard. I even did a "poo vs. peppermint ice" experiment and, well, Wilson choose :poo:. I guess I was lucky in the long run because he didn't like his own.

Thanks Christine for tagging me. @2BullyMama

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
My bullies don't eat it but my Beagle does. :cursing:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This is a common problem when there's too much carbohydrates in the food compared to proteins and too little enzymes to brake those carbs down. Enzymes don't brake down in the digestive system and :poo: contains them. Enzymes are destroyed by cooking so you could try adding some raw meet in to his diet. Could also be vitamin B deficiency or the worst case scenario something wrong in her pancreas, that is where the enzymes are coming from too.

Last edited:

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
This is a common problem when there's too much carbohydrates in the food compared to proteins and too little enzymes to brake those carbs down. Enzymes don't brake down in the digestive system and :poo: contains them. Enzymes are destroyed by cooking so you could try adding some raw meet in to his diet. Could also be vitamin B deficiency or the worst case scenario something wrong in her pancreas, that is where the enzymes are coming from too.

Other than that, how else is she doing? Poo eating is a sign of EPI, exocrine pancreatic insufficiency. It is a congenital issue with the pancreas. There are other signs and symptoms you can compare with. www.epi4dogs.com My Bella has EPI, she never had the poo eating thing with it.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I think Frankie has been doing it lately too. He never tries to do it outside but lately when I come home I'll find little pieces. So I'm assuming that he poops in the house when I'm gone and then eats it before I get home. Not sure if it is just to hide it or if it is because he wants to.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Caleb has always ate his poo since we got him and I cant get him to gain weight. [MENTION=3169]BellasMom[/MENTION] wonder if that is what could be wrong with him?

OP
Sybil76

Sybil76

Community Veteran
Feb 7, 2012
Kansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Tess & Rocky
[MENTION=3331]Bella[/MENTION]'s mom Other then that Tess is fine. She eats, drinks, sleeps and plays just fine.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
You can feed her pineapple supposedly they wont eat their poo if they have eaten it....

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.