How strict are you?

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Our (well, my husband's really) method is simple. We are the alpha dogs. So, we tailor our "training" to keep that heirarchy. Some dogs need it strict to keep them from usurping the alpha role, some dogs doesn't need much. And no, we're not NILF people. But we're not bend-over-backwards-for-the-dogs either. Yeah, the dogs, like the kids, need to just fall into the cycle of our everyday family life... the world doesn't revolve around them, make sense?

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I let Mocha know when she isnt suppose to be doing something and she can tell by the tone I use. When it comes to nipping and mouthing that is not allowed. So what am saying is she is a good girl !!!
But when she is being crazy and running around with someones underwear in her mouth its just too funny!!!! All we do is try to tell her to stop, but she knows we are all laughing at her chananigans!!! She is soo funny!!! And yes she has tons of toys and she goes in her crate only when she wants to have her privacy!!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I think that it all depends on the dog in question. Some dogs need you to be more strict and others don't. Every dog needs consistency and poundaries but not a daily bootcamp.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe we all "soften up" as we get older?

"Biological Bob" (my real dad) bakes cookies for his Shitzu mix. Back when he was married to my mother, he wouldn't let me have a dog. (I finally got one but that is a tale of heartbreak I won't share here)

Who knows? I SHOULD be more "NILF" around here probably, but I'm having fun...they're having fun...they're not tearing the house apart....it's all good. :D

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
This is actually a good question because I have had to take a hard look at my "parenting skills" lately! My husband and I always are critical of our friends who spoil their kids rotten....well, lately Frank has been acting like a complete brat lately and I realized it is because I am soooo guilty of doing that with Frank! I need to work on my "stern voice". My husband has a good stern voice and when he uses it, Frank pays attention. I need to spoil Frank like he deserves but also make sure he is a well-behaved bullie. It's tough! But he will always get praise when he burps. :ROFL:

rainyruth

Feb 8, 2012
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Nigel and Talulah
My husband says I spoil everybody around me,so my bullies run the place pretty much!Lol!!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I say if the pup needs to be put in place then be strict, if they are good then not so much. Miila, our newest, has proven to need some guidelines to say the least. :lol: So in her case we are strict on certain things to keep her in check BUT her day to day business is very at ease, so long as she remembers the rules. They all will get "busted" when need be and they do know when that is. Otherwise I say just love em as you please. :p

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.