How strict are you?

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
Molly's school teacher (our dog trainer) isn't happy with me. It seems we're too nice. Molly has too many toys! Molly doesn't get put in her crate enough! I shouldn't laugh when she does something funny!

I haven't been to this dog trainer before.. and i do believe in her methods (built on the NILF system).. but give me a break, Molly is no border collie!!

How strict are you? Do you follow 'Nothing in Life is Free' to the letter (work for your food! you only get petted when i want you to be petted)... or are you in the "Such a cute BURP!! here's a cookie!" crowed?

I think i'm in the middle.

Telly03

Community Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
Maryland
Bulldog(s) Names
Moses
I have always demanded obedience from my dogs, and they were always happy to comply, but I'm agreeing that Bulldogs are different, and I have had to change my approach with my Moe. I can read his mind when I ask him to come inside... he just looks at me and I read "I understand what your saying, but I'm really enjoying the sunshine right now, so it is in my best interest to just sit here" ... so I find myself accepting the fact that I need to walk out and lift his butt up to get him walking inside.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
This is the funniest question Ive heard :ROFL: :laugh: This is HRH Princess Gracie, NOT FIDO!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL Oh, Im sorry sweetheart... did daddy type too loud and wake you up? Poor baby, I'll buy a quieter keyboard right away honey.. :heart::heart::heart::heart:

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I have a tone I use when I'm talking to the dogs and they really need to pay attention. They seem to know the difference. Kind of like when you got "the look" from your parents and you knew they meant business! LOL

For the most part I'm not terribly strict though. :)

NigelsMom

Community Veteran
Oct 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frenchy - Ian Wentworth Carlisle, Eng Nigel Wentworth Sinclair (RIP) & Karly Isabella Sinclair (RIP)
I'm not strict...How could I be? Those precious faces and loving demeanor there's no way I can withhold love from them. Nothing in life is free to me but to them yes it is because they bring so much joy by just being them. They've already earned it in my eyes!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
I only use my stern voice if they are getting too rough in play or if they are attempting to chew something they shouldn't. Otherwise, it's "How's my baby wabies dis mornin? Want some smoochie woochies?

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has ME very well trained! The only thing I am strict with is his diet, due to allergies and even then I sneak him a bite at times. I do have a stern voice and he knows I mean buisness, but it takes alot for him to get me there.

OP
TheLost

TheLost

Dec 28, 2011
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly & Kevin (aka Chunky)
I was just a little shocked at how much i was scolded :nonono: ..

I used to compete in Obedience Trials with my Golden Retriever twent.. fifte.. a few years ago. I've adopted not one, but two, 'special needs' Blue Healers and turned them into good members of the dog community. I have socks that have been worn to more obedience classes than this teacher has taught (i'm old... is what i'm saying!)

Now if you excuse me... i have to go wipe my dogs behind.. then try to get her to respect my authority! :ROFL:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
i was just a little shocked at how much i was scolded :nonono: ..

I used to compete in obedience trials with my golden retriever twent.. Fifte.. A few years ago. I've adopted not one, but two, 'special needs' blue healers and turned them into good members of the dog community. I have socks that have been worn to more obedience classes than this teacher has taught (i'm old... Is what i'm saying!)

now if you excuse me... I have to go wipe my dogs behind.. Then try to get her to respect my authority! :rofl:

exactly! :lmao:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I was just a little shocked at how much i was scolded :nonono: ..

I used to compete in Obedience Trials with my Golden Retriever twent.. fifte.. a few years ago. I've adopted not one, but two, 'special needs' Blue Healers and turned them into good members of the dog community. I have socks that have been worn to more obedience classes than this teacher has taught (i'm old... is what i'm saying!)

Now if you excuse me... i have to go wipe my dogs behind.. then try to get her to respect my authority! :ROFL:

:ROFL::ROFL: Welcome to the world of bully's :lmao:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I'm like [MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION], I only use my stern voice if they are doing something they should not, which is very seldom. they are usually pretty good.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
HA... we are BULLDOG owners --- " what a sweet girl... mommy loves you yes she does' here's a treat :D

We were really bad with Nitshcke --- he was King Tut as far as we were concerned. Banks' our girl --- totally different world. She THINKS she is the Queen of the universe, so we have to be VERY strick with her because of he dominance level. If your girl has a high dominance level then you need to set the boundaries and establish pack leader... if not be firm enough that she does obey you.,

MissPennyLue

Jun 20, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Penelope Lue (Penny)
We are also fairly strict with Penny bc of her tendency to totally rule the roost otherwise. She does like to listen (read: likes treats), but she gets pretty wild of we aren't consistent with her

Watson

Community Veteran
Dec 9, 2011
Bakersfield, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Watson
Watson is pretty responsive. When he is bad I talk to him with stern tone, he will back off and calm down. I make him sit before I give him his meals and sit before I open doors. Even with treats I put it in front of him on the floor and ask him to wait then when I say ok then he can eat it. I guess it teaches him patience.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.