Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mugsy, Baby (RIP), & Romeo
Ok, here's a little back story as to what is going on:

Since Mugsy was a young pup, we had been taking him at least once a week to the dog park to run around and play with other dogs. Not too long ago there was an incident that kind of...not sure if it traumatized him or if he acquired this behavior from what happened. Last time we had him with other dogs, there was an owner of a gorgeous big blue pit bull (which was VERY friendly). Mugsy stuck to him like glue, (we have video) running around with him, they rolled around and played like best friends. As with any large group of dogs, you see the pack instinct start to form, and dogs start to bully the less dominant dogs. Well, one owner came in with a German Sheppard and he ran around like the king of the place bullying other dogs and chasing them and such. Once a dog starts running and get rowdy, all other follow. So this german sheppard started getting a bit too aggressive and he had to be separated. But not before the owners started blaming the Pit Bull for instigating the aggressiveness. Mugsy didn't get aggressive (yet).

One owner started shouting they needed to put a bullet in the pit bull and that they didnt deserve to live blablabla. So the owner of the pit stood up for his dog. Long story short, there was a lot of tension between the owners and cops basically had to be called to resolve the situation and ask the pit owner to take his dog and leave.

We could see that Mugsy was a bit stressed, he was trying to pull us out and go home. He didn't want to play anymore. When we were leaving an owner with a Boxer pup approached us and Mugsy got really nasty. He tried to attack the Boxer and we had never seen him act this way before. Since then he has been aggressive with other dogs except for Baby (our other English Bully) and Lojack (our neighbors Dachshund). But any other dog, he cannot get near them because he squares up and tries to attack.

We're trying to keep him physically fit and have him run around and be able to play rather than being cooped up at home all day lounging on the couch waiting for his daily walks. My question (finally) is:

Has anyone experienced this before?
How did you get your bully to be more social after such events?

I understand that Bulldogs don't tend to like other dogs, but he had been around other dogs since he was a pup.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
That's terrible. I'm ashamed of people who don't think before they speak and are inconsiderate of others. I use to go to dog parks but every owner seems to have their own idea of socializing their dogs. Some just throw their dogs in and it's the "sink or swim" type attitude. Some just get on their cell phones and don't even monitor their animals or pick up after them either. Then there's always a loud mouth that just laughs off their dogs misbehaving. I know it's not always bad and if my dogs want to go to the enclosed dog park I just walk them around the outside where they can still watch and touch noses and if it happens that the dogs I see are well behaved we might pop in for a bit. But it's always enter at your own risk.

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Even walking around the perimeter of the enclosed dog park gets him rowdy now. It's awful, he used to be so sociable...

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
When the pit left he lost his pack leader..... We have some very good behaviorists here so hopefully someone with experience in this will see your story and help.

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well the pit wasnt doing the pack leader thing..he was just running around being a happy dog playing with everyone. The pack leader it seems was the German Sheppard when he came in. Even then, the pit didn't really attack anything...he just ran with the dogs when they ran.

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Oh no! How horrible for you to go through. And that poor Pit and his owners :(

Have you considered a small daycare or dog walker? It's often the case that dogs misbehave when their owners are around but are perfectly happy go lucky with a dog walker or other professional.

Does he act out when the energy gets to a certain level, or does it seem random? I know my boy will want to control other dogs when they are super high energy, so I have to watch out for it and then I'm anxious, and you know, the cycle continues!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
I'm sorry to hear you guys had a bad experience. We stay away from dog parks for the most part simply because you have so many dogs raised in different ways...never know who you may bump into.
I would bet your poor guy senses a little tension when you guys go to the dog park and his anxiety gets going. Maybe you could find someone nearby with a bully and you could have a playdate? That way you could have him play with another dog in a controlled environment. Good Luck with him! :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2709]Mugmug[/MENTION] are you nervous, tense or anticipating Mugsy being agitated? If you are, it is going right down the leash and to him --- and he now feels he needs to be on guard.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
One reason why I do not like dog parks. Some dog owners are just incompetent. They do not supervise the dogs and all hell break out! Just because its a dog park doesnt mean let your dog loose. Too much excitement. I feel for you because you just want your baby to have fun, but there are a lot of crazy people in these places.

OP
Mugmug

Mugmug

Jul 6, 2011
Miami, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
**UPDATE**

Well as far as being stressed or nervous while out with him, I try not to be and act as normal as possible, it's just tough because hes such a strong boy and can literally drag us around (and i weigh over 200lbs).

We took him to the vet and pretty much had to wait in a separate waiting room because he would lay in front of us and guard us. We had treats and tried scratching his butt while other dogs would come in (since the butt scratching would put him in some sort of trance hah) but it didn't work. It seems he's getting more and more unfriendly with other dogs. He LOVVEESS people. As long as we are around, he is a sweetheart to people.

How can we NOT be stressed or let him sense that we are preparing for him to jump at another dog?

On a side note: Our vet (which specializes in English Bullies) gave him 2 thumbs up on his annual checkup! Mugsy is 60lbs lean, has perfect teeth and just the right amount of chub!
mugsy.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
**UPDATE**

Well as far as being stressed or nervous while out with him, I try not to be and act as normal as possible, it's just tough because hes such a strong boy and can literally drag us around (and i weigh over 200lbs).

We took him to the vet and pretty much had to wait in a separate waiting room because he would lay in front of us and guard us. We had treats and tried scratching his butt while other dogs would come in (since the butt scratching would put him in some sort of trance hah) but it didn't work. It seems he's getting more and more unfriendly with other dogs. He LOVVEESS people. As long as we are around, he is a sweetheart to people.

How can we NOT be stressed or let him sense that we are preparing for him to jump at another dog?

On a side note: Our vet (which specializes in English Bullies) gave him 2 thumbs up on his annual checkup! Mugsy is 60lbs lean, has perfect teeth and just the right amount of chub!

Congrats on the great vet visit!! Mugsy is reacting to your nervous/stress -- he feels your uneasiness and believes he has to protect you. This is all you, until you settle down and trust yourself, he will behave as he sees fit to keep away what you are afraid of.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.