regurgitaton and other questions

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
I am a first time bulldog owner. My bullie is almost 1 yr old and I have 2 questions..

1)I notice that sometimes she will passively regurgitate a small portion of her food. This can occur anytime, somewhat frequently, but often occurs after playing or chewing on her nylabone. I am careful to have her rest in her crate for around 90 minutes after eating before any playing to avoid bloat. She often belches as well. Do bulldogs regurgitate often? She is otherwise well, normal stools, etc. She is fed 1 cup, 3 times a day

2)I was just wondering at what age they will "slow down" a bit. My bulldog is on the small side (around 38-40 lbs), lean, and is extremely active. At what point will she mature and calm down just a bit?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
You can try a slow feed bowl, it is probably from swallowing air while she eats/drinks. I was going to suggest cutting down her food intake but you said she was already lean- but her leanness may also be because of her age and energy.

Most bullies won't slow down until they are adults, 2 years old.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My Wilson use to do that the first year until I changed him to a better food and cut out the supermarket dog treats.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN and the wonderful world of bulldogs.

1... could be as [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] stated -- try to get her to eat slowly and give give her a pepcid about 20-30 mins. before meals

2.... My boy slowed a little at around 2-3 years old. My girl is 6 and has yet to slow down.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Oh my!! I have never had the regurgitation problem with Mocha . She only:barf:once and that was because she had eaten a sock!!
As for the slowing down, I am still waiting on that and she is 2!!!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Both Bea and Bo have done this as a result of wild and crazy play after eating. You're doing the right thing!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.