This is a nightmare so far!! Please help!

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Hi everyone, so we picked up Diva (the 4yr old frenchie) last night and introduced her to our almost 2yr old english Gio. We introduced at a neutral location and they seemed fine, Gio of course was super excited and only wanted to play with her and she really didn't care for him. (Now she did just get out of her long flight with a delay-7hrs). When we got to the house we brought Gio in first and when we let her in she was ignoring him as he followed her around. Now once she got to his toys, this is when it got bad. When Gio saw her with a toy he thought she was playing so he tried to chase her and she snarled at him a couple of times. When we put her in her kennel Gio went over to look and she was snarling and barked at him. Gio usually sleeps till at least 10 everyday, but when my mother took Diva out to go to the bathroom this morning Gio woke up and tried to follow. At this point I am still with Gio, since he sleeps with me every night. When she went back in the kennel Gio managed to go over and look in and she snarled and barked at him again. Since I am still in college I am the one who will be home with them all day. Any advice in what I can do to make her at least be able to be in the same room as him?? I know it has not even been a full day yet but I am freaking out. Gio is just such a loving dog that it breaks my heart watching him whimper while he wonders why he can't go hang with his new older sis! :*( Any advice or similar stories please!!! :begging:

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
I'm sure others will be along shortly with more sage advice....but when I've had to deal with dogs that weren't hitting it off right away ...I just made sure the dogs had a barrier between them in the beginning....like a baby gate ....so they are around each other but not able to actually get to one another....give it time the frenchie's in a totally new environment it's normal to need time to acclimate... Best of luck, I'm sure they both need time with the newness of the situation

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
From my one experience, it may take some time for them to get along, or even be near each other without any episodes. Be patient. I'm thinking seeing your frenchie is still new to the house, you may need to show her that you're the alpha, yet, you'll protect her from harm. She may see Gio as a threat for now seeing he's bigger and always wants to be around her. When my 4-year old Punkin joined the family 4 months ago, Stig, our 1.5 year old always wanted to be around him, but in a dominating kind of way. Sometimes it's noticeable that he wants to play with his new big bro, but we stopped him from doing so for the first couple of days. Punkin was an only dog before and wasn't socialized much, so he wasn't interested in Stig at all, and avoided being near him for too long. We even thought at first that he was food protective as he growled at Stig once, but we realized that he just was not comfortable in his new environment. Knowing this, my bf and I tried to show Punkin that he's now a family member and let him have his space and protected him from his wacky little bro. I think it was a week or so when my bf and I finally let them hang out together and figure things out themselves, with supervision. It was about 3 weeks when we removed the baby gate between them when they were alone in the house.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, it's natural for us humans to want to have our wish granted right away (in this case, Gio and Diva get along right from the get-go). But they're going to have to go through an adjustment period and you may need to separate them for now, or always be int he room when they're together. They'll sort things out eventually, hopefully sooner than later.

Congrats on the new addition btw! People always said that two dogs are better than one. It was only after we got Punkin that we realized that the saying was so true. :)

Last edited:

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Definitely put a gate up where they can see each other but not get to each other...Do intros really slow. let them see each other for at least a week, then have someone take the frenchie and you take yours out....have the frenchie come from the other direction and let them meet in the middle...Once you do that a couple times then try meeting and walking them together. Thats what I do with our fosters. It seems to work unless the new one is just dog aggressive.

bulldog family

Aug 14, 2010
Bulldog(s) Names
Norman, LeRoy and China
We babygate the new one for about 3 days.The first day let them interact with the gate.When the new one is out, put the other in a crate- or away... but somewhere where they can sniff each other. It's really hard to do because you want so bad for them to get along.

It would be like putting you in a room with someone who you think is going take over all your things but you're expected to be nice to them... without any arguing.

My dogs are very treat motivated. So, when the day comes when I can let them out together, the new one stays leashed, but I give them all treats together and give extra praise for when they are quiest and getting along.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
how about trying to have Gio give snacks to Diva.?
Maybe you could somehow attach Diva's favorite snack to Gio's collar and while having Gio held back with the leash, you allow Diva to approach his collar to take the snack.

Something along those lines... You want to show Diva that Gio is no threat.....

Good Luck...

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I agree with the slower you go the better. We have brought some powerful breeds together as full grown rescues. We always keep the new member on a leash in the house for awhile. We slowly let them get used to each other. And each dog is allowed time to roam without the other. This is where you need crates or a safe area for each dog. If either gets cranky..they get a time out. Period. Be consistent..be firm and set your boundaries. We have NEVER had a long term problem. Good Luck!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
No more advice to give but wishing you good luck. Remember she must be in shock still having gone thru so much. She doesnt even know who you are or that you are her new home.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
We have always had a totally different approach to introducing dogs than most people. We just go for it. You have to be really comfortable with being the one in charge though. Usually we take them outside in a fenced in area and let them go (we leave the leash on so we have a quick way to control the dogs if need be). If they start to have a fight or tiff we separate them, calm everyone down, and try again.

It may sound brash but we have always had the idea that the dogs will have to learn to like eachother (just like siblings) even if they aren't crazy about eachother at first. Having said that...I would only leave new dogs together under close supervision (like if you have time to just sit and watch them with no distractions). We always separate new animals when they are eating...everybody eats in their crate because food can be a big issue. Same thing with toys...we remove all toys until everyone is getting along because it's just one more thing to fight over.
That's just my experience and advice from the other end of the spectrum...I would only do it though if you are TOTALLY comfortable with being the "boss". And having a someone around to help mind the dogs is always a good idea too.

Good Luck with your babies...no matter how you do it, I'm sure they will learn to love eachother eventually :)

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I wish you well. Congratulations on getting Diva. The only advice I have to add is if you are going to work with them outside have a garden hose handy, works well for breaking up fights!

OP
mcraven2

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Thanks so much for all the great advice! We are gonna try to get some gates today to block rooms off but for now we have her crate in one of the upstairs bedrooms. I have been taking her out for an hour then will put her in for about an hour. Is this too much crate time?? She doesn't seem to mind it, it seems she is really comfortable. It seems to be working and Gio is finally napping! (right on me of course)! She seems to be warming up to him slowly.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
you've rec'd some great advice,,,, best of luck and congrats on your new girl.

BTW--- I also just got a Frenchie

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
[MENTION=4081]mcraven2[/MENTION] , I would let Diva know that you are the Alpha in your house. You dont want her to stick with this behavior. Take time to be right there where the 2 of them are and everytime she goes for Gio or makes the growling noise correct her. Be very firm. Keep the leash on her also. I would not leave them alone while you are away in the same room. I cant help but feel sad for Gio because all he wants to do is be a buddy and play!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Congrats on your new Frenchie. You've rec'd some fabulous advice here. Hang in there! It gets better. Dogs are pack animals and will WANT to be a part of your pack - whatever that is - so be the leader and give them time. It will happen, I promise you.

H

heff101

A kennel should NEVER EVER be used as a punishment.
Mistake #1.
They are likely picking up on your energy.
Be firm let them know you are the alpha and things should get better.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.