Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
Ok, so wanting to put some of all this great advice to work ....I ordered snout soother for not my bully but my weim who has a crack in her nose that's so deep it bleeds every now and again.

Got it on Saturday and started to use it on both the weim and the bully (didn't want him to feel left out). Weim's nose is noticeably less dry, but the weirdest thing is the bulldog's nose is flaking off in little (and not so little) black flakes. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328574518.413565.jpg

So what's a healthy nose on a bully? Cause I'm thinking it's not his rough nose, as 5 years of callous and crust is just disintegrating with the magic snout soother.... I'm both fascinated and concerned as I watch his nose flake off.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1328574787.329075.jpg

I'm thinking at this rate his new nose will be in place in about a week.

Could someone send me a pic of a normal bulldog nose? As I've mistaken for a few years.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
:ohmy: I know Jake's nose gets very dry and flaky if I don't keep snout soother on it. I'm sorry..I have no idea about chunks coming off. Hold on..I'm sure someone will come along. Let's try [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
How old is Schultz?

I'm not sure there is a 'normal' bully nose. Nitschke's nose was always dry and sometimes flaked, even with putting mushers secret on it once a week. Banks' nose is always nice and moist without any ointments.

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
I cant keep anything on BeBe's nose... Let me know how it goes since her nose is very very dry...

Heather w/Tapatalk app

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
How old is Schultz?

Schultz is 5 ...and his nose, as far as I can remember has always been rough but not dry...
I'm simply fascinated that he has a whole other nose under the one I could see...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Schultz is 5 ...and his nose, as far as I can remember has always been rough but not dry...
I'm simply fascinated that he has a whole other nose under the one I could see...

Interesting.... keep us posted as I am now very curious

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Sounds like a trip the vet is warranted now. Could be allergies, he could be sick and you not know it besides his nose flaking off, it could be a number of things from the searches I just did. If it was my bully, I'd be calling the vet. Please keep us posted, this seems very unusual to me. Poor thing.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]...when we first got Bre her nose was so deeply cracked and dry (I even posted about it!). On a recomendation from [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I ordered some Snout Soother. As I started using it big chunks of her dry nose were coming off (basically dead skin). After a week and a half her nose was smooth and no more pieces coming off. I would say that as long as your bullies nose isn't starting to bleed or get raw you are in the clear as it is probably just the old dead skin coming off.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
Wow, I havent seen that. I would at least call the vet to see what his opinion is. But I guess mamaandi experience this and her bully is ok.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree .. it's the old dry flaky skin coming off. I mean, the cracked dry skin is just that .. dead skin. So it's gonna come off because it's dead and no moisturiser on this planet is going to bring it back to life!!

I do have some snout soother but prefer to use Aquaphor ... just as good and less money ....plus I can use it on my hands too in this cold weather!! :up:

OP
Saalwi

Saalwi

Community Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Schultz
[MENTION=3991]Saalwi[/MENTION]...when we first got Bre her nose was so deeply cracked and dry (I even posted about it!). On a recomendation from [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] I ordered some Snout Soother. As I started using it big chunks of her dry nose were coming off (basically dead skin). After a week and a half her nose was smooth and no more pieces coming off. I would say that as long as your bullies nose isn't starting to bleed or get raw you are in the clear as it is probably just the old dead skin coming off.

That's exactly what it seems like, but I will call his vet today and let her know about it....just wiping his face like normal after breakfast more pieces of black nose came off (easily I'm not scrubbing)....
There's no blood and it doesn't bother him at all, so I guess the crusty, callous I thought was his nose is shedding and underneath is what's gonna be his "real" nose.

Thanks everyone

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Woo hoo! Nose job!
:ROFL:

Punkin's nose was super dry and flaky when we got him. An hour after a layer of aquaphor, big chunks like the ones in the pic started to fall off. His nose wasn't bleeding though, plus there was a smoother 'nose' under all the flakes. But we knew his was dead skin considering he wasn't very well looked after before we got him.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I was just going to say dead skin and as long as it doesn't look "open", raw, red, or bleeding, it is probably nothing to worry about. Weird though huh? lol

cornelia

Feb 16, 2012
Lichtenau, a village in northwest Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Frieda, Kosmo
Old Bulldogs have always more or less dry noses, same reason old people get wrinkles. :)Some Bulldogs get a „old“ nose, that means a dry nose, very early. (Vets call it a early cornification.) My Kosmo´s nose started to dry out as he was just 1 year old. His father had had this same fault. It is a genetic cause. His mother Frieda - in may we will celebrate her 7th birthdy :D, has still a perfect young, soft and wet nose; Kosmo had bad luck with his father´s nose. He (and I) have to live with it. I put once a week a high quality oil on it. The best is a oil which contains aloe vera too. The oil prevents cracks, because it keeps the old skinpieces soft.

My Alma´s nose startet to dry out as she was 11 years old, and my Wilma´s nose as she was 6 years old. There are great differences.

bb_Neli_FF_KK_jan11_1.jpgbb_Friedas_nose_feb12.jpgbb_Kosmos_nose_feb12.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.