Yet anaother bully peeing on bedding

lizita4

Feb 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lennie
Hi everyone. Our nearly 17-week-old bully Lennie pees on his crate pad, whether it's in his crate or not. He actually has two crates. One for the upstairs, and one for the downstairs. He has always peed on the bedding in his downstairs crate, where he naps during the day. We tried rubbing the pad on him to get his scent on it, fed him a little kibble on it, but still he peed on the bedding. So we removed the bedding, and he stopped. We introduced a stuffed animal to cuddle with, but realized a few days later that he was actually peeing on that too. So now there's nothing in there, and he doesn't pee in there.

His upstairs crate in our bedroom is where he sleeps at night, and he never used to pee on the bed in there. But one night a couple weeks ago he threw up, and once we washed it, he started peeing on it. We tried rubbing him with the pad after it was washed and letting him play with it to get his scent on it. We also reduced the space in his crate. That seemed to work for a few days, but last night he peed on the bedding yet again. So we removed the bedding, but with nothing in there, it's extremely noisy, and we haven't been sleeping well. I doubt he has either.

Should we just give up on the bedding? He's okay otherwise. He's doing pretty well with housebreaking. Cues to go out to do #2 by going to the door. He's not as good as cueing to go out and pee, but we're good about getting him outside often and praising him when he does go. We're kind of at our wit's end here.

Thanks.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
i dont' have any advice on the peeing, our lola is 10 months and only has accidents when she's really really excited and lets a little dribble out. BUT i feel your pain on the noise empty crate. sometimes she's not quite tired and scratches up her blankets at night and damn it is annoying an loud. i hope your little guy shapes up soon!! maybe start taking him out in the middle of the night again? otherwise, move the crate into another room far far away, or just have him sleep downstairs.

malaviKat

Jun 15, 2011
Toronto
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance used to do that as well. We found what helped was setting up a gated area that closed in the crate as well as a separate space for bathroom breaks and for eating. This helped alleviate the soiling on the bedding. Eventually we shrunk the area down and now (just over 1 year) his bedding is in the crate and his food / water is outside the crate and the bathroom is outdoors. The other thing I'd recommend is not letting your bully drink water too close to bedtime and making sure that he doesn't have any medical issues that might be encouraging the bedwetting. A few months after Chance was trained he seemed to regress. When we took him to the vet to get him checked out for something else, the vet told us he had a minor bladder infection which meant that when he had to pee, he had to pee. A week's worth of antibiotics cleared that up.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I dont put bedding in Mojos crate because of this. He doesnt pee if theres no bedding.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Never had this issues so I am interested in seeing the advice you receive

Georgiasmom

Feb 3, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Georgia
I am having the pooping issue with my 3 month old. She does it when I put her in the crate every time. I have been taking her outside with my other dog and even bought a play yard for the house and she manages to wear it. I have a crate to put her in at bedtime and she always does it. I thought she would follow my other dog and be easy to train. I try not to get frustrate but my house smells like puppy poop. I am not sure what to do???? I feed her in the morning and then at 4 in the evenings so she has plenty of time to go to the bathroom.

A

Alaskasmom1

My little Alaska Blue did this at times and she still tries it occasionally. She would go out and pee but wanted to come back in to eat instead of poop first. She always poops before and after she eats, by the way. I have to tell her to go potty some more( that's exactly what I say) and most of the time she goes right back out to her spot in the yard to poop. If she refuses I put her in the crate for 20 more min. And take her out again. Then, if she poops I let her come in and eat, then I immediately take her out again so she can poop. She always does. She barks at me throughout the day now if she needs to go out with rare accidents. She is a yr old now and I got her at 8 weeks. Her breeder had paper trained her. It's a work in progress so keep at it. You'll get there with her. My male is great with his pottying and was much easier to train than her.Also, clean all bathroom accidents with white vinegar mixed with 40%water. Thoroughly clean the spot and it will kill the smell after its all dried. You can actually watch the stain disappear before you ever blot it. Do not use commercial cleaners on soiled areas.mit reduces he cleaning power of the vinegar.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.