Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: THank God Bubba didn't die today!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    bubba
    Likes (Received)

Default THank God Bubba didn't die today!

Ok..so I have been feeling guilty for keeping Bubba in a crate during the day when the other 2 dogs had free roam of the house. Last 2 days..tried putting Bubba and one of my other terriors with him...blocked off in the kitchen and small living area. Good thing I unplugged lamp! I come home..of course all pillows are off couch. What made me nervous?...He pulled the tiny metal end of the cable all the way out! Chewed it for miles! THank God he didn't get electricuted! I guess cable wasn't turned on in that room? Thankfully I unplugged lamp in the rooom..just in case. Wierd...he never chews on anything..when I'm home, but his toys. I thought maybe he could make the change. I feel soo bad about him staying in the crate...but he has lost all privileges for a while! My other dogs never had this problem being alone and chewing! I don't want to keep him in the crate forever! Does anyone else have this problem?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: THank God Bubba didn't die today!

One word.....JAKE

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

UGH... damn, sorry no advice as I've been very lucky with our pups. Once given free roam of the house, they would just go sleep on the bed all day
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

BullyWood Movie Star I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Erin
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Frank
    Likes (Received)

Whew, that could have been so scary! Yes, we learned the same thing. Frank NEVER chews on anything bad when we are home, so we thought he would be fine out by himself when he was out of his puppy stage. Wrong...he chewed on the plugged in laptop cord nearly to shreds...he seemed fine so I don't think anything happened shock-wise, but it freaked me out. So now he gets confined when we are gone. We put him in the kitchen and close it off so he has area to roam and he has a bed in there with his water bowl. We think he gets separation anxiety or just plain mad we are gone, so acts naughty.

Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)

YIKES!!!
    Three Hooligans and 1 Angel - Wilson, Sally, Emma & Jack

Dog Show Judge Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank
    Likes (Received)

Jordans dog chews everything! She even dug up the hoses to our underground sprinkler system and chewed off all the sprinkler heads...

I'm glad Bubba is okay though! He's such a good lookin boy

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lily & Humphrey
    Likes (Received)

Ours get into mischief unless we leave the tv on Animal Planet. Then they lay on the couch like slugs all day.

Priscilla

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Just reading your post brought back memories of when Tate got electrocuted. He was chewing on my laptop cord which was plugged in at the time. He stayed in the hospital for two nights, on O2, had pulmonary edema, and the vet told me his prognosis was "guarded to poor"...I will NEVER forget those words. They haunt me to this day. Thankfully, Tate recovered BUT you can bet from that day on I have been overly cautious w/anything electrical. These days they prefer rugs (grrrrrr) over plugs but I think keeping Bubba in the crate for now is best if it's for his well being.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mocha Bubbles
    Likes (Received)

I think a solution my be to keep him in a room with a babygate. If you crawl on your knees you can see what would look tempting for him to chew on and you can take does items out of reach. Of course unplug and put away anything that could pose danger to him and just have his toys there for him to play with. I actually did this with Mocha for a few months when she was little. I would leave her in the kitchen with babygates on the doors and that way she could walk around and play and I didnt feel to bad about leaving her. I would also place her crate there in case she wanted to nap. @bubbaisapig
    LisaMarie

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

No, can't trust any of mine. BabyGirl was trying to chew the lamp cord so I unplugged it. Next day she was trying to stick her tongue into that very same outlet!!! EEEEEEK!!!! Put electrical outlet covers on right away!
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Bulldog(s) Names
    Hudson
    Likes (Received)

I'm so glad everyone's bullies were okay in these situations. @cali_baker - I don't know what I would have done with myself had I heard that. I'm so glad Tate made it okay.
    We've always crated fosters and ours alike. I've heard too many puppy hanging stories. *shudder*
    I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with crating. Especially if that's all they know. When we pass on a foster we obviously tell the adopting family they can do what they want, but that's what we have done with the dog. It's especially nice if you leave the house and your dog has diarhhea. True story for an adoptive family. Not sure of the details, but he did have a very nice couch. Not sure about it now...
    @Fontanafox I'm not surprised at licking the outlet. Before the next puppy comes home, I'm going to get covers for sure now. Geez...

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Keep him in the crate and do not feel guilty about it. It is the safest place for him to be. I can give you a link to watch my bulldogs during the day and literally all they do is sleep. Dogs sleep between 18 and 20 hours a day. Ask Becky @JAKEISGREAT. She watches them for me via camera and literally they sleep. They are den dwelling animals and they are comfortable being in spaces like this. I know we tend to think of our dogs as being our children , but you have to realize they are not children and it is okay to crate them for hours at a time. You would be beating yourself up right now if Bubba had electrocuted himself chewing on that cord..... When we are unable to monitor their movements the best place to be is in a kennel.
    Last edited by Libra926; 02-04-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: stupid dragon dictation! dead? UGH!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads