THank God Bubba didn't die today!

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Ok..so I have been feeling guilty for keeping Bubba in a crate during the day when the other 2 dogs had free roam of the house. Last 2 days..tried putting Bubba and one of my other terriors with him...blocked off in the kitchen and small living area. Good thing I unplugged lamp! I come home..of course all pillows are off couch. What made me nervous?...He pulled the tiny metal end of the cable all the way out! Chewed it for miles! THank God he didn't get electricuted! I guess cable wasn't turned on in that room? Thankfully I unplugged lamp in the rooom..just in case. Wierd...he never chews on anything..when I'm home, but his toys. I thought maybe he could make the change. I feel soo bad about him staying in the crate...but he has lost all privileges for a while! My other dogs never had this problem being alone and chewing! I don't want to keep him in the crate forever! Does anyone else have this problem?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
UGH... damn, sorry no advice as I've been very lucky with our pups. Once given free roam of the house, they would just go sleep on the bed all day

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Whew, that could have been so scary! Yes, we learned the same thing. Frank NEVER chews on anything bad when we are home, so we thought he would be fine out by himself when he was out of his puppy stage. Wrong...he chewed on the plugged in laptop cord nearly to shreds...he seemed fine so I don't think anything happened shock-wise, but it freaked me out. So now he gets confined when we are gone. We put him in the kitchen and close it off so he has area to roam and he has a bed in there with his water bowl. We think he gets separation anxiety or just plain mad we are gone, so acts naughty.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Jordans dog chews everything! She even dug up the hoses to our underground sprinkler system and chewed off all the sprinkler heads...:cursing:

I'm glad Bubba is okay though! He's such a good lookin boy :)

Hidapriscila

Feb 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily & Humphrey
Ours get into mischief unless we leave the tv on Animal Planet. Then they lay on the couch like slugs all day.

Priscilla

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Just reading your post brought back memories of when Tate got electrocuted. He was chewing on my laptop cord which was plugged in at the time. He stayed in the hospital for two nights, on O2, had pulmonary edema, and the vet told me his prognosis was "guarded to poor"...I will NEVER forget those words. They haunt me to this day. Thankfully, Tate recovered BUT you can bet from that day on I have been overly cautious w/anything electrical. These days they prefer rugs (grrrrrr) over plugs but I think keeping Bubba in the crate for now is best if it's for his well being.

LisaMarie

Community Veteran
Jan 13, 2011
Burlington, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mocha Bubbles
I think a solution my be to keep him in a room with a babygate. If you crawl on your knees you can see what would look tempting for him to chew on and you can take does items out of reach. Of course unplug and put away anything that could pose danger to him and just have his toys there for him to play with. I actually did this with Mocha for a few months when she was little. I would leave her in the kitchen with babygates on the doors and that way she could walk around and play and I didnt feel to bad about leaving her. I would also place her crate there in case she wanted to nap. [MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION]

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
No, can't trust any of mine. BabyGirl was trying to chew the lamp cord so I unplugged it. Next day she was trying to stick her tongue into that very same outlet!!! EEEEEEK!!!!:bang: Put electrical outlet covers on right away!

ILuvHudson

Jan 19, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hudson
I'm so glad everyone's bullies were okay in these situations. @cali_baker - I don't know what I would have done with myself had I heard that. I'm so glad Tate made it okay.
We've always crated fosters and ours alike. I've heard too many puppy hanging stories. *shudder*
I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with crating. Especially if that's all they know. When we pass on a foster we obviously tell the adopting family they can do what they want, but that's what we have done with the dog. It's especially nice if you leave the house and your dog has diarhhea. True story for an adoptive family. Not sure of the details, but he did have a very nice couch. Not sure about it now...
[MENTION=1760]Fontanafox[/MENTION] I'm not surprised at licking the outlet. Before the next puppy comes home, I'm going to get covers for sure now. Geez... :)

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Keep him in the crate and do not feel guilty about it. It is the safest place for him to be. I can give you a link to watch my bulldogs during the day and literally all they do is sleep. Dogs sleep between 18 and 20 hours a day. Ask Becky [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION]. She watches them for me via camera and literally they sleep. They are den dwelling animals and they are comfortable being in spaces like this. I know we tend to think of our dogs as being our children , but you have to realize they are not children and it is okay to crate them for hours at a time. You would be beating yourself up right now if Bubba had electrocuted himself chewing on that cord..... When we are unable to monitor their movements the best place to be is in a kennel.

Last edited:
OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Yep...[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] Bubba lost his priviliges! I've even started babygating him in the kitchen even when i'm gone a short time. It's not worth it. I won't babygate him in the kitchen for long periods..he has been known to bust the gate down, even when applied very tightly! My heart sunk when I saw the wire all chewed up! If he was dead when I came home...I would have felt sooo guilty and been so heartbroken. I take all of them for long walks when I get home or the dog park, so, it's not like they don't get any exercise. He is fine in my room at night without being crated..thank goodness.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Yep...@Libra926 Bubba lost his priviliges! I've even started babygating him in the kitchen even when i'm gone a short time. It's not worth it. I won't babygate him in the kitchen for long periods..he has been known to bust the gate down, even when applied very tightly! My heart sunk when I saw the wire all chewed up! If he was dead when I came home...I would have felt sooo guilty and been so heartbroken. I take all of them for long walks when I get home or the dog park, so, it's not like they don't get any exercise. He is fine in my room at night without being crated..thank goodness.

Thank Goodness that beautiful face is alright. Jeesh...... what a rush ehh? As I recall, Dolly was almost 2 till I could let her out for the whole day. The three stooges here are still gated in a kitchen area together. I have tried to let them un-crated for small periods of time but they can not be trusted yet. They are all perfectly house trained but for some reason Griz will go inside the gated area and make a deposit. ewwww. Peggy will chew on furniture on poor Scrimps is up to something, I just haven't figured it out yet. Keep em safe until they can be trusted. It could be separation anxiety. ???

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
How scary! I'm glad he's ok! The only time I have had that issue was with a cable cord on the side of my mom's house. I wouldn't leave Samson out there while we weren't home but when he was out there he would chew on it. I lathered it up in tapatio, that stopped that real quick!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online